What are the best Comedy Films you have seen?

Ozzy

What are some of the best comedies you have seen?  I am talking consistent laughs not just a few funny parts.  Here is my list in order, hard to rank though but many I can watch over and over and it is still funny.  Must say of late I have not seen many good comedies what so ever.  On Netflix the last comedy I saw that was some what unique and I have not seen before was and it was over a year ago was 'Wet Hot American Summer' and that was made in 2001 and is at the dead bottom of this list, and one called 'Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates' I saw on TV was made in 2016 and was not bad but still not much to pick from in recent memory.  

Low brow, patsy, loser based comedies are the best and last the longest I think.  Sure Dr. Strangelove has funny parts but not sure it is bust a guy funny throughout unless one really like political humor, like The Death of Stalin had some really hilarious parts but all told not sure I would call that a hilarious movie just because of a scene or two.

*Tommy Boy
*Dumb and Dumber
*Step Brothers
*Napolean Dynamite
*Superbad
*Caddyshack
*Planes, Trains & Automobiles (1987)
*Happy Gilmore
*The Waterboy
*Anchorman
*Kingpin
*Along Came Polly
*Coming To America
*Monty Python and the Holy Grail
*The Birdcage
*This Is Spinal Tap
*Robin Hood Men in Tights
*The Producers (1967)
*Office Space
*The Other Guys
*Mean Girls
*The Sitter
*Celtic Pride
*A Night at the Roxbury
*Blazing Saddles
*21 Jump Street
*Burn After Reading
*Little Miss Sunshine
*Cool Runnings (1993)
*The Sandlot
*Death at a Funeral (2007)
*Tropic Thunder
*A League of Their Own
*Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story
*Major League
*Austin Powers 2
*Everything Must Go
*We Are the Millers
*Daddy's Home
*Grumpy Old Men
*Spy (2015)
*Groundhog Day
*Beavis and Butthead Do America
*Hot Shots! Part Deux
*Waynes World
*The Hangover
*Dumber and Dumber To
*Grumpier Old Men
*Anchorman 1
*Clerks
*Zoolander
*National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
*The Heat (2015)
*Austin Powers 3
*Bridesmaids 
*Old School
*Hall Pass
*Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby
*Canadian Bacon
*Hot Shots!
*Don't Be a Menace to South Central While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood
*Get Hard
*Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates
*Mrs. Doubtfire
*Mighty Ducks
*The Promotion
*Cedar Rapids
*This is the End
*Wayne's World 2
*Meet the Parents
*Austin Powers 3
*School or Rock
*Uncle Buck
*Scary Movie
*Wet Hot American Summer

Edited by Ozzy
ongoing...

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

Groundhog Day, Wedding Crashers, Grandma's Boy, Ace Ventura: Pet Detective and Waiting... are the five best comedies I've seen in my life.

Grandma's Boy I will have to check out, at quick glace that seems pretty funny and has a solid cast even though I am not a huge fan of Peter Dante he seems like just a Adam Sandler lackey.  I saw Waiting, I liked it just did not love it.  

Swingers is not really a comedy but watching that Grandma's Boy preview reminded me of this, classic dude humor and is honestly one of the funniest scenes easily, absolutely hilarious dude humor....  'Diner' is another film that has some great dude humor moments.

39 minutes ago, Fresh Prince said:

Happy Gilmore, Dumb and Dumber, step brothers, Ace Ventura, hot shots 2

Yeah those first three are some of the best comedies ever made no question about it.  I would also agree Hot Shots Part Deux is hilarious, great parody movie and is really underrated.  Ace Ventura I like and has tons of quotable moments but not sure which one is better 1 or 2, for the 2nd I watched that twice in a row as a kid in order to avoid something and that kind of ruined it a bit, it is solid though no question.  

In terms of Happy Gilmore, Tim Herlihy is one of the most underrated comedy writers of all time.  The dude wrote Happy Gilmore, The Waterboy, The Wedding Singer and Billy Madison.  Sure Adam Sandler is also credited for writing it and helped but I think most of it came from Herlihy, would be interesting to know more behind it but still the originality and uniqueness of Happy Gilmore and The Waterboy is out of this world.  

Wayne's World is another, 1 and 2 are really outstanding funny films, SNL writers for that one same with Tommy Boy.  

26 minutes ago, rob_shadows said:

You made that big long list and left out trading places? Shame on you...

Never heard of it or saw it.  Eddie Murphy is good but how good is this Trading Places compared to Coming to America?  Is it on that same level?

12 hours ago, Ozzy said:

*Dumb and Dumber
*Step Brothers

*Napolean Dynamite
*Tommy Boy
*Superbad

*Caddyshack
*Planes, Trains & Automobiles (1987)
*Happy Gilmore
*The Waterboy

*Anchorman
*Kingpin
*Coming To America
*Monty Python and the Holy Grail
*The Birdcage
*This Is Spinal Tap
*Robin Hood Men in Tights
*The Producers (1967)
*Office Space
*The Other Guys
*Mean Girls
*The Sitter
*Celtic Pride
*A Night at the Roxbury
*Blazing Saddles
*21 Jump Street
*Burn After Reading
*Little Miss Sunshine
*Cool Runnings (1993)
*The Sandlot
*Death at a Funeral (2007)
*Tropic Thunder
*A League of Their Own
*Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story
*Major League
*Everything Must Go
*We Are the Millers
*Daddy's Home
*Grumpy Old Men
*Spy (2015)
*Groundhog Day
*Beavis and Butthead Do America
*Hot Shots! Part Deux
*Waynes World
*The Hangover

*Dumber and Dumber To
*Grumpier Old Men
*Anchorman 2
*Clerks
*Zoolander
*National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
*The Heat (2015)
*Bridesmaids 
*Old School
*Hall Pass
*Canadian Bacon
*Hot Shots!
*Get Hard
*Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates
*Mighty Ducks
*The Promotion
*Cedar Rapids
*This is the End
*Wet Hot American Summer

I love most of this list, but the bolded are probably a step above the others to me. 

11 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Groundhog Day, Wedding Crashers, Grandma's Boy, Ace Ventura: Pet Detective and Waiting... are the five best comedies I've seen in my life.

All 5 of these would also be on my list. Ace Ventura MIGHT be my most watched comedy of all time. 

34 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Never heard of it or saw it.  Eddie Murphy is good but how good is this Trading Places compared to Coming to America?  Is it on that same level?

Trading places is largely viewed as the film that launched him into being a movie star, without trading places coming to America never happens (same director for both movies as well). 

And yes I'd personally put it right up there with coming to America, not sure which I'd rank ahead of the other but both are favorites of mine.

Edited by rob_shadows

29 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

It is absolutely my most watched comedy of all-time lol. I can quote it from start to finish for the most part.

Oh, same. I thought about it more after I typed it too, and I am pretty confident I can stick to that answer. 

Ace Ventura is my favorite comedy of all time because I’m a lifelong Dolphins fan and lived down there. 

Tropic Thunder might be the best comedy I’ve ever seen.

Wedding Crashers, Ghostbusters, and The Hangover are honorable mention.

2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

All 5 of these would also be on my list. Ace Ventura MIGHT be my most watched comedy of all time. 

Wedding Crashers is a hard ranking for me because I view it as possibly the best romantic comedy ever, but the romance side is a massive part of the film.  Same can be said with Along Came Polly but to me Along Came Polly has way more funny scenes than Wedding Crashers does.  Sure guys idolize Wedding Crashers and the dream of every guy to be able to get any chick at random because of circumstance but overall comedy Along Came Polly has it beat and I forgot that one oddly enough and just added that one to my list.  It has one of the funniest movie characters of all time in it, Sandy Lyle!!!

50 minutes ago, Charles said:

Need to add Super Troopers to your list meow. 

That is a tough one, the Meow scene is great and any Farva scene is good but Farva is not in the movie enough and some of the other main characters are some what lacking in terms of their ability.  All told not sure it is funny enough or consistently funny enough, or at least I got that impression the last few times I caught it on TV.