What are the best Comedy Films you have seen?

Ozzy

Comedy is probably the most subjective of all the genres...a lot of movies people think are hilarious I don’t crack a smile, and vice-versa.

If I had to do a “starting 5”, it’d probably be

Austin Powers, Dumb and Dumber, Young Frankenstein, Pineapple Express, Airplane (honorable mentions: Friday, Billy Madison, Tommy Boy, Meet The Parents)

To stir the pot, my starting 5 of most overrated comedies would be

Superbad, Anchorman, The Big Lebowski, The Hangover, Napoleon Dynamite (honorable mentions: Step Brothers, Ted, A Fish Called Wanda, Office Space)

Edited by Ray Reed

19 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

Comedy is probably the most subjective of all the genres...a lot of movies people think are hilarious I don’t crack a smile, and vice-versa.

But if I had to do a “starting 5”, it’d probably be

Austin Powers, Dumb and Dumber, Young Frankenstein, Pineapple Express, Airplane

True it is totally subjective and depends on the individual also depends on the individuals age, like 1980s comedy I do not get as much as 1990s comedy which was more when I was going up.  Young Frankenstein I like but I did not find it constantly funny throughout and Airplane maybe I just have to sit and watch the entire thing but the small parts I have seen it is just so so.  

I did forget about Austin Powers, 1 is probably the best but 2 and 3 are good also so I added them to the list.  Along with Wayne's World 2 which is pretty damn good also.  But the Austin Powers franchise is great and all are pretty dang funny films.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

True it is totally subjective and depends on the individual also depends on the individuals age, like 1980s comedy I do not get as much as 1990s comedy which was more when I was going up.  Young Frankenstein I like but I did not find it constantly funny throughout and Airplane maybe I just have to sit and watch the entire thing but the small parts I have seen it is just so so.  

I did forget about Austin Powers, 1 is probably the best but 2 and 3 are good also so I added them to the list.  Along with Wayne's World 2 which is pretty damn good also.  But the Austin Powers franchise is great and all are pretty dang funny films.  

The first Austin Powers is definitely the best of the bunch and IMO a top 3 comedy of all time.

Almost every single line in that movie is a joke of some sort, and 95% of them are funny

The hate on Big Lebowski is strong in this thread.  It's definitely top 5 all time for me.  Seen it dozens of times and still laugh at it.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail is No. 1, and after that it's hard to say what else is top 5/10/whatever for me.  And of course, there's the distinction of best movies that happen to be comedies vs. funniest movies.  Like In Bruges and Birdman are comedies, and are a fantastic movies, but they aren't what come to mind for me. 

Off the top of my head, Royal Tennenbaums, The Other Guys, Up In SmokeTropic Thunder, Planes, Trains, & Automobiles, The South Park Movie, Spaceballs, and Austin Powers stick out.

Also The Room, if we count unintentional comedy.  It's seriously one of the funniest movies of all time.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2022 at 5:04 AM, Ozzy said:

Never heard of it or saw it.  Eddie Murphy is good but how good is this Trading Places compared to Coming to America?  Is it on that same level?

Jamie Lee Curtis adds... uhh... measurables to the film.

also, Blues Brothers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Jamie Lee Curtis adds... uhh... measurables to the film.

also, Blues Brothers.

Jamie Lee Curtis?  Give me Sigourney Weaver for your 1980s short haired ladies, well Sigourney had some curl but Jamie Lee Curtis is ehhh, especially as a comedic actress.  

7 hours ago, Fresh Prince said:

Monty Python and the holy grail might be most overrated comedy I’ve ever seen. 

The Holy Grail is a very solid film and consistently it has held up over time, sure it is more like sketch comedy but it is rock solid with tons of funny scenes.  Monty Python's Life of Brian I never got, I was expecting a lot more from that after seeing The Holy Grail but outside of one or two parts that Life of Brian sucked and they have never really did anything else of note.  

10 hours ago, Daniel said:

Planes, Trains, & Automobiles,

Planes, Trains, & Automobiles is one of the most underrated comedies of all time, absolutely hilarious.  Granted a lot of it comes from John Candy who is great.  Candy is legit he is hilarious in Canadian Bacon as well which is a damn funny movie. 

This is Spinal Tap is an all time great no question, crazy thing is apparently they are making a Spinal Tap II in 2024, absolutely nuts but could be very funny.  

15 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Jamie Lee Curtis?  Give me Sigourney Weaver for your 1980s short haired ladies, well Sigourney had some curl but Jamie Lee Curtis is ehhh, especially as a comedic actress.  

The Holy Grail is a very solid film and consistently it has held up over time, sure it is more like sketch comedy but it is rock solid with tons of funny scenes.  Monty Python's Life of Brian I never got, I was expecting a lot more from that after seeing The Holy Grail but outside of one or two parts that Life of Brian sucked and they have never really did anything else of note.  

Planes, Trains, & Automobiles is one of the most underrated comedies of all time, absolutely hilarious.  Granted a lot of it comes from John Candy who is great.  Candy is legit he is hilarious in Canadian Bacon as well which is a damn funny movie. 

This is Spinal Tap is an all time great no question, crazy thing is apparently they are making a Spinal Tap II in 2024, absolutely nuts but could be very funny.  

VD didn’t say anything about Jamie Lee’s acting ability, and he is completely correct. There is a reference to what he’s talking about in the original Scream movie.

5 hours ago, JohnChimpo said:

VD didn’t say anything about Jamie Lee’s acting ability, and he is completely correct. There is a reference to what he’s talking about in the original Scream movie.

I am not talking about acting either, but if one was, in terms of comedy acting yeah she is not super funny.   But if it is in some way saying Jamie Lee Curtis is like super hot, well I do not see that at all.  

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

I am not talking about acting either, but if one was, in terms of comedy acting yeah she is not super funny.   But if it is in some way saying Jamie Lee Curtis is like super hot, well I do not see that at all.  

The keyword was “measurables.” A woman doesn’t have to be super hot to have strong measurables, and she certainly beats Sigourney in that category. I’ll leave it there. It’s a good comedy, but it’s not one of the best IMO.

I saw Anchorman 2 mentioned. I watched it recently. Even after starting the movie, it took me awhile to remember whether or not I had seen it before. I realized that I had, but I had forgotten most of it. It’s solid, but the first one is one of the best.