UPDATED: Future Head Coaching Options Discussion

G08

He gives me a Trestman vibe. There is definitely more to being a HC outside of calling plays. Look at **** Lebaeu to see what happens when a long time DC gets a HC position. I will say its also talent driven too. The reason why Doug P is doing so well in Philly is because of how good Carson Wentz is. 

If Mitch can take steps next year and really be a good QB for us Pete C will have a strong first year as a coach. I don't think Jack Del Rio is special at all yet that Raiders team will be consistently good going forward because of Derek Carr. Lets not discount how important talent is and ultimately what QB Mitch can be.

12 hours ago, IronMike84 said:

I don’t know. It reads like somebody just writing a summary of Carmichael’s Wikipedia page.

I feel like a lot of the Carmichael hype is just simple dot-connecting because of Pace. Can he lead a team? Does he have the temperament to be a head coach? There’s a lot more to take into consideration besides just who he worked with and what team he calls plays for.

Adam Gase was widely considered to be one of the best playcallers in the game, he worked with some great players and coaches, and he’s struggling a bit in Miami.

Well Brees was quoted as saying that Carmichael is well respected by all players on the team so that says a lot.  Unless you're hiring a retread (like Fox) then you won't really know if a first time head coach will be able to lead a team until he's given that chance.  That's the risk you take.  

The good thing is that Pace probably has more knowledge on Carmichael than any other candidate out there so if he hires him as the next head coach of this team then you have to feel pretty good about that considering how critical this next hire is for Pace, Trubisky and the future of the Bears.  

I feel like the only reason that Fox was hired by Pace in the first place is because this team was in such dire straits when he took over that he needed some time to rebuild the program and get somebody respectable in here that could instantly turn around the team culture.  If he would have hired a guy like Carmichael from the get go and the team had somewhat similar results to what they've had under Fox the past 3 years (likely considering the rebuild) then Pace would be under way more heat right now IMO.  Fox has essentially bought him some time to let his plan come to fruition. 

12 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I was just about to say we might all be getting a little bit too much of a Trestman vibe...maybe we are reading too much into that but I just don't get why no one else has took him before now.

And there's little to nothing about him on YouTube either. I found one video of him in an interview prior to the 2015 draft. Not much to judge off of, maybe he is more of a commanding presence in a locker room than a mic or podium like Lovie seemed to be.

He is falling behind some of the others to me though.

3 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

And there's little to nothing about him on YouTube either. I found one video of him in an interview prior to the 2015 draft. Not much to judge off of, maybe he is more of a commanding presence in a locker room than a mic or podium like Lovie seemed to be.

He is falling behind some of the others to me though.

http://www.neworleanssaints.com/search-results?&q=pete+carmichael&Go.y=0&Go.x=0&mediatype=Video

On 11/14/2017 at 9:02 AM, Madmike90 said:

I was just about to say we might all be getting a little bit too much of a Trestman vibe...maybe we are reading too much into that but I just don't get why no one else has took him before now.

Why do you say that because he wears glasses and looks like a dork just as Trestman did? :D

On the parkins/spiegel show on the score yesterday they interviewed someone from New Orleans (a bear writer i believe) about Pete Carmichael.  In short, the guy said Carmichael is not head coaching material. Said there’s several head coaching candidates on the saints, but Carmichael isn’t one of them.  

I only caught part of it, so i didn’t get to hear his reasoning for why he doesn’t like his chances of becoming a head coach.  Take this for a grain of salt obviously.  I’ll try to look up the interview later on.

1 hour ago, CBears019 said:

On the parkins/spiegel show on the score yesterday they interviewed someone from New Orleans (a bear writer i believe) about Pete Carmichael.  In short, the guy said Carmichael is not head coaching material. Said there’s several head coaching candidates on the saints, but Carmichael isn’t one of them.  

I only caught part of it, so i didn’t get to hear his reasoning for why he doesn’t like his chances of becoming a head coach.  Take this for a grain of salt obviously.  I’ll try to look up the interview later on.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/audio/the-spiegel-and-parkins-show/

The 3 Technique segment, starts around 5:10.

On 11/14/2017 at 8:36 AM, G08 said:

Drew Brees speaks very highly of him.

That doesn’t necessarily mean anything. Most players will only speak positively about other players and coaches, especially if they’re a consummate professional like Brees. 

Steve Young said a lot of nice things about Marc Trestman. It didn’t make him worth a damn as a head coach.

10 hours ago, IronMike84 said:

It’s way to early in the game to be dead-sold on Carmichael based on simple dot-connecting. Let’s pump the brakes a little here.

From what I'm reading no one is dead sold on him.  I'd say it's more than simple dot connecting though.  Pace will most likely give him an interview which makes him a very real possibility.

Archived