UPDATED: Future Head Coaching Options Discussion

G08

On 15/11/2017 at 3:08 PM, topwop1 said:

Why do you say that because he wears glasses and looks like a dork just as Trestman did? :D

It's not even purely the look...it's the voice and the way he carries his self...just doesn't look like a guy eho could command respect from a locker room.

8 hours ago, IronMike84 said:

Bears fans be like, “just chain Fangio to a radiator at Halas Hall, it’s cool.”

Yeah...Fangio's fate is the main thing that worries me about getting rid of Fox. It's been pretty well established that Fangio wants to be a head coach, and the Bears would almost certainly go with an offensive minded HC if they move on from Fox. If Fangio goes too, that puts the defense in a lurch, and that's the strength of the team right now. That's my big issue with running a 3-4 in the first place, particularly such a specialized one--it's just too inflexible, coaching and personnel-wise. A move back to a 4-3 might be better in the long run, but it's probably going to set the team back first.

Best thing for Fangio is that he gets no HC gigs, and our new HC reaches out to him and says I want you to stay here and you can run the defense however you want. I will leave you alone.

I would hope that Fangio feels some sense of investment in this defense, he's developed them from literally the worst in franchise history to, currently, a top 13 defense in points allowed.

22 minutes ago, G08 said:

Best thing for Fangio is that he gets no HC gigs, and our new HC reaches out to him and says I want you to stay here and you can run the defense however you want. I will leave you alone.

I would hope that Fangio feels some sense of investment in this defense, he's developed them from literally the worst in franchise history to, currently, a top 13 defense in points allowed.

3 years and 9 million in guaranteed cash to go with total control will help.

On 11/17/2017 at 8:40 AM, topwop1 said:

Another note on Nagy, he has ties to Todd Bowles.  Would be good to pair up a first time head coach liek Nagy with an experienced guy like Bowles.

Fangio is no lock to return with or without Fox.

Read today that if Nagy gets a HC gig he's going to try and bring Mike Pettine, Ex-Browns HC who is currently a D-consultant for SEA, as his DC.

55 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

Read today that if Nagy gets a HC gig he's going to try and bring Mike Pettine, Ex-Browns HC who is currently a D-consultant for SEA, as his DC.

Yes please.

Pairing a young offensive coach with an experienced DC, especially one with HC experience, is my dream.

Nagy and Pettine would be really nice.

5 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Yes please.

Pairing a young offensive coach with an experienced DC, especially one with HC experience, is my dream.

Nagy and Pettine would be really nice.

Can't remember, did Pettine run a 34 defense? I know they are mostly interchangable these days because teams run so much of their nickel defense, but i would really hate to switch back given we've been acquiring personnel for this D

54 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

Can't remember, did Pettine run a 34 defense? I know they are mostly interchangable these days because teams run so much of their nickel defense, but i would really hate to switch back given we've been acquiring personnel for this D

When he was the DC for the Jets under Rex Ryan he ran a 3-4. When he coached for the Bills it was a hybrid of the two, they ran several fronts and it was hard to label them one or the other. He has even used some 5-2 looks with both, though that was infrequent.

If he would be here, I'd expect to stay a 3-4. Buffalo was so up in the air it didn't make a ton if difference, but Mario Williams was particularly loud about not wanting to be a stand up OLB like his last year in Houston when he was injured. We have a pretty versatile group of players and could play either way though

DL - Bullard/Goldman/Hicks

LB - McPhee/ Trevathan/Kwiatkoski/Floyd

DL - Bullard/Goldman/Hicks/Floyd

LB - Kwiatkoski/Trevathan/Jones

Personally if Freeman was G2G I wouldn't mind the 43 at all. DR at ROLB and Freeman at Mike. Floyd could also be an OLB and move McPhee to DE at times too, but that isn't enough speed on the edges IMO. Bullard could definitely do the Izzy role though. And having those two tanks in the middle would be rough for opposing OLs without question.

8 hours ago, Sugashane said:

When he was the DC for the Jets under Rex Ryan he ran a 3-4. When he coached for the Bills it was a hybrid of the two, they ran several fronts and it was hard to label them one or the other. He has even used some 5-2 looks with both, though that was infrequent.

If he would be here, I'd expect to stay a 3-4. Buffalo was so up in the air it didn't make a ton if difference, but Mario Williams was particularly loud about not wanting to be a stand up OLB like his last year in Houston when he was injured. We have a pretty versatile group of players and could play either way though

DL - Bullard/Goldman/Hicks

LB - McPhee/ Trevathan/Kwiatkoski/Floyd

DL - Bullard/Goldman/Hicks/Floyd

LB - Kwiatkoski/Trevathan/Jones

Personally if Freeman was G2G I wouldn't mind the 43 at all. DR at ROLB and Freeman at Mike. Floyd could also be an OLB and move McPhee to DE at times too, but that isn't enough speed on the edges IMO. Bullard could definitely do the Izzy role though. And having those two tanks in the middle would be rough for opposing OLs without question.

Possibly the best thing about brining in Pettine is that he opens you up to a lot other good defensive coaches coming from the Baltimore tree as well as the Ryan's...he is also a very aggressive guy and I think we have been missing that a little.

6 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Possibly the best thing about brining in Pettine is that he opens you up to a lot other good defensive coaches coming from the Baltimore tree as well as the Ryan's...he is also a very aggressive guy and I think we have been missing that a little.

Exactly. That is kind of why I am hoping Donatell would roll in for Fangio. Hoping he is a bit more aggressive than Fangio.

Archived