UPDATED: Future Head Coaching Options Discussion

G08

I'm really getting intrigued by Pat Shurmur... he's got that Vikings offense humming, he spent 10 years under Andy Reid and 2 years under Chip Kelly (take that for what you will). He's coached an offense with Darren Sproles and for chirssake he's got Case Keenum (!!!) playing out of his mind.

He could possibly bring Tony Sporano over as OC/assistant head coach, or he can try to pluck someone from Philly if he was so inclined (Defilippo is coming out of contract).

Defensively... I'd gun after Chuck Pagano.

5 minutes ago, G08 said:

I'm really getting intrigued by Pat Shurmur... he's got that Vikings offense humming, he spent 10 years under Andy Reid and 2 years under Chip Kelly (take that for what you will). He's coached an offense with Darren Sproles and for chirssake he's got Case Keenum (!!!) playing out of his mind.

He could possibly bring Tony Sporano over as OC/assistant head coach, or he can try to pluck someone from Philly if he was so inclined (Defilippo is coming out of contract).

He was such a trainwreck in Cleveland. I know it is Cleveland.

I wonder if he has command the room issues.

Just now, WindyCity said:

He was such a trainwreck in Cleveland. I know it is Cleveland.

I wonder if he has command the room issues.

I think he won 5 and 4 games... which is par for the course there. Did something else happen there?

I mean shoot, Kyle Shanahan sucked there too

If we can get Frank Reich as HC, we may also be able to take Defillipo as OC/AHC if he's willing.  Defillipo may see that if he can go from Wentz and having success, to coaching Trubisky to be successful that he's in prime position to land a HC job in a few seasons.  Seems as if Eagles fans rave over the Combo of Pederson, Reich, and Defillipo as "the Three headed monster" to being the success for Wentz this season, and if Reich does well in interviews with Chicago, I could definitely see them trying to steal Defillipo as well.

1 hour ago, TankWilliams said:

Right, I wasnt' envisioning him moving to end, just trying to figure out the roles, though I suppose you are right considering we are in the nickel fairly frequently.

I did kind of gloss over your question though. Yeah, I think Hicks would be a 3 in a traditional 4-3. Goldman is athletic enough to play 1. Certain guys like maybe Bullard could play end. Floyd may have to play SAM or maybe end if he’s in a scheme that uses a 9-tech DE.

1 hour ago, TankWilliams said:

If we can get Frank Reich as HC, we may also be able to take Defillipo as OC/AHC if he's willing.  Defillipo may see that if he can go from Wentz and having success, to coaching Trubisky to be successful that he's in prime position to land a HC job in a few seasons.  Seems as if Eagles fans rave over the Combo of Pederson, Reich, and Defillipo as "the Three headed monster" to being the success for Wentz this season, and if Reich does well in interviews with Chicago, I could definitely see them trying to steal Defillipo as well.

I doubt they'd be able to get both. Unless he's outright hired as a HC this offseason then DeFilippo would have an easier path to a HC job if he stays put in Philly IMO, and you can bet that Philly will do all they can to make sure he doesn't leave.

Though from what I've been reading and hearing, DeFilippo is the more highly thought of coach in Philly over Reich and people think he's destined for a HC job soon, possibly this offseason, despite currently being the QB coach.

I could see Pace making this type of move.

23 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I doubt they'd be able to get both. Unless he's outright hired as a HC this offseason then DeFilippo would have an easier path to a HC job if he stays put in Philly IMO, and you can bet that Philly will do all they can to make sure he doesn't leave.

Though from what I've been reading and hearing, DeFilippo is the more highly thought of coach in Philly over Reich and people think he's destined for a HC job soon, possibly this offseason, despite currently being the QB coach.

I could see Pace making this type of move.

I'd be a bit scared, DeFilippo's resume of success for QB's is a bit too low for me to think he's ready to make that kind of jump.  He was QB coach for NYJ in 09, Oakland from 2012-2014, OC for cleveland in 2015, and QB coach for 2 years in Philly.  

At least Reich has the history to back it up, and being around great QB's his whole career, literally.  Played as a backup behind Jim Kelly, QB Coach for Indy in 09/10 so he worked with manning, then in 2013 he was QB coach for SD before being promoted to OC there, and then has been hired on by Philly as OC and has had successful QB's everywhere he's coached.  Sure, Rivers and Manning were already developed, but Rivers had one of his best stretches as a QB under Reich and now we are seeing Wentz have an MVP caliber season in his second year.  

I'd love to take a shot on DeFilippo as an OC if he's Reich's guy, but between the two, I'm much more comfortable with Reich as a candidate for HC.

53 minutes ago, G08 said:

Bullard would be a solid 3T if we moved back to a 4-3.... I personally hope we don't.

I just hope we don't make it a hard sell for a potential candidate.  If we have to switch to a 4-3 to land the best offensive minded head coach then we switch.  I think the switch would be successful.  I think Floyd would be more natural as an OLB in 4-3 and he can blitz on passing situations. 

1 minute ago, TankWilliams said:

I'd be a bit scared, DeFilippo's resume of success for QB's is a bit too low for me to think he's ready to make that kind of jump.  He was QB coach for NYJ in 09, Oakland from 2012-2014, OC for cleveland in 2015, and QB coach for 2 years in Philly.  

At least Reich has the history to back it up, and being around great QB's his whole career, literally.  Played as a backup behind Jim Kelly, QB Coach for Indy in 09/10 so he worked with manning, then in 2013 he was QB coach for SD before being promoted to OC there, and then has been hired on by Philly as OC and has had successful QB's everywhere he's coached.  Sure, Rivers and Manning were already developed, but Rivers had one of his best stretches as a QB under Reich and now we are seeing Wentz have an MVP caliber season in his second year.  

I'd love to take a shot on DeFilippo as an OC if he's Reich's guy, but between the two, I'm much more comfortable with Reich as a candidate for HC.

Yes, I agree that Reich has more to back it up over DeFilippo, I'm just telling you what I'm hearing.  But I wouldn't at all be upset if they decided to go with a guy like Reich because of what you just described above.  He could act as both HC and OC an be paired with Trubisky for years to come ala McCarthy/Rodgers in Green Bay.

As for being scared of anything that the Bears do from this point on, I won;t allow myself to be.  I've already been disappointed enough times over the past few years that I'm willing for them to take a big risk on their next head coach and finally get something going.  We've all suffered for way too long.

Found these nuggets from when Pace was first searching for a head coach:

When Pace joined the search for a new Bears coach, he knew what he was after. He openly expressed a desire to find a coach with confidence and charisma, discipline and leadership.

"Sean has a charisma, a confidence and an energy to him that's infectious," Pace said. "I think that's important, you know? When a head coach gets in front of the room, he's selling his plan to the players. And there needs to be buy-in."

4 hours ago, G08 said:

Beware of short term success. Remember Josh MCCown had a lucky 13/1 TD to INT ratio for a short stretch.

Archived