UPDATED: Future Head Coaching Options Discussion

G08

19 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

I'm not sure anybody (here, at least) is putting forth that McDaniels was essentially the GM, but pretty much everybody and their brother knows McDaniels was behind the jettisoning of Cutler, and then the drafting of Tebow was totally all on McDaniels...which, sorry, can't be parsed as anything but world-class stupid. Or (being gracious)--arrogant. 

Was it stupid though?  I mean look at what Cutler did the rest of his career.

One thing I will not fault McDaniels for is for getting rid of Cutler because they got a huge hall for an average QB.  They just didn't do much with it and therein lies part of the problem of why he wasn't successful in Denver aside from other things.

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

One thing I will not fault McDaniels for is for getting rid of Cutler because they got a huge hall for an average QB.  They just didn't do much with it and therein lies part of the problem of why he wasn't successful in Denver aside from other things.

Well...I don't think there's any way you could call the move idiotic or anything, but to give up on Cutler without being willing to even give him a chance was pretty stupid, yeah. I'm sure it was solely a personality thing, and a good coach has to overcome problems like that. 

2 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Well, I know you didn't like Cutler, but look at what he did with what he had around him.  The start of his career with chicago he had WR's like Johnny Knox and Devin Hester, then he had an OL that couldn't block me, all while getting a new offensive coordinator every year and having a shambling defense and going through 3 different head coaches.  He still ended up being the Bears all time leading passer, which isn't saying a ton, but he has and will always have my respect as a bears fan.

4 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

Well, I know you didn't like Cutler, but look at what he did with what he had around him.  The start of his career with chicago he had WR's like Johnny Knox and Devin Hester, then he had an OL that couldn't block me, all while getting a new offensive coordinator every year and having a shambling defense and going through 3 different head coaches.  He still ended up being the Bears all time leading passer, which isn't saying a ton, but he has and will always have my respect as a bears fan.

36-7 when the defense held the opposition to under 3 TDs.

That matters as much as "haters" want to discount it.

Take it for what it’s worth, but Hub has his to say on his weekly spot on The Score, when asked about Reich and McDaniels...

Reich: he’s a hot name, but DeFilippo may be the hotter name coming out of Philly. I don’t remember the exact verbiage Hub used, but it wa something like DeFilippo a more exciting.

McDaniels: Hub said he’d be surprised if McDaniels doesn’t get a head job this coaching cycle.

10 minutes ago, IronMike84 said:

McDaniels: Hub said he’d be surprised if McDaniels doesn’t get a head job this coaching cycle.

Probably true. Provided McDaniels actually wants one. Although...I wouldn't be surprised if we had fewer openings this off-season than usual. We'll see. 

33 minutes ago, IronMike84 said:

Take it for what it’s worth, but Hub has his to say on his weekly spot on The Score, when asked about Reich and McDaniels...

Reich: he’s a hot name, but DeFilippo may be the hotter name coming out of Philly. I don’t remember the exact verbiage Hub used, but it wa something like DeFilippo a more exciting.

Dickerson was on 1000 and was saying that the people he talked to in Philly were terrified of losing DeFillipo and really crest him without Wentz's jump.

43 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Probably true. Provided McDaniels actually wants one. Although...I wouldn't be surprised if we had fewer openings this off-season than usual. We'll see. 

My guess is that he ends up with the Giants. They will likely have  both a GM and head coaching opening come January and it will be a good opportunity for him.

I just don't see how McDaniels and Pace fit together in Chicago.

Pace is adamant about GM and Head Coach working hand-in-hand; look how he was with Fox... getting rid of players he hated and drafting players that he liked.

I can easily see McDaniels tell him the type of players he wants and Pace building a board with that style of player (smarts over sheer athleticism, etc).

He badly wants his Sean Payton and with what he gave up to get Mitch Trubisky, he knows this hiring is going to be his career-definer or career-ender.

New England Patriots offensive coordinator, Josh McDaniels – Year in and year out, the Patriots are one of the top offenses in the NFL, and a great deal of the credit goes to Tom Brady and Bill Belichick, but McDaniels oversees the offense, designs the game plans and calls the plays, many of which Brady doesn’t change.

Yes, McDaniels got a shot in Denver in 2009 at the age of 34 and was out in two years, but Belichick got his first break in Cleveland at 39 and failed there before becoming arguably the greatest NFL coach ever.

Word around the league is McDaniels has grown quite a bit and is now ready.

One thing is for sure: I don’t see the final hire being anything other then a guy with a QB background, or at the very least an offensive guy. It’s the only way to guarantee continuity between the offensive system and the QB.

Somebodh like Matt Patricia is intriguing, but if the OC gets a head job, there goes all continuity.

2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I would be fine with McDaniels.

There would be some worry in me.

But it looks like Garoppolo and Brissett can play so maybe he knows what he is doing at the QB spot.

I would have some concern as well, but Ryan Pace and Mitchell Trubisky are the two most important people that will be interacting with McDaniels, and by all accounts Pace and Trubisky are down-to-Earth, easy-to-get-along-with dudes. I don't see a problem there, honestly.

29 minutes ago, G08 said:

I would have some concern as well, but Ryan Pace and Mitchell Trubisky are the two most important people that will be interacting with McDaniels, and by all accounts Pace and Trubisky are down-to-Earth, easy-to-get-along-with dudes. I don't see a problem there, honestly.

I’m just ready for 1/1 to get here so we can get this process started. I want something to be excited about with this team going forward besides the prospects for  development of the QB which is basically in a holding pattern for the time being. I want to see guys in place who give me optimism for the future of the franchise. I’m not even picky - just give me anyone with visible upside to help max out our QB. Give me a competent, logical hire. I don’t think that’s asking a lot. 

Archived