UPDATED: Future Head Coaching Options Discussion

G08

4 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

2 straight Superbowls and retire? Just thinking it is too easy?

Was thinking more Bears/Browns Toilet Bowls.  I'm just really sour on "boring" choices... I want a bold choice with higher upside, even if there's risk of another Trestman.

I REALLY a hope this isn’t a repeat of the Trestman hire, where Trestman’s willingness to keep Marinelli got him the job, except that Marinelli wanted no part of Trestman. I don’t get why so many people are fired up about this. This concerns me quite a bit.

2 minutes ago, IronMike84 said:

I REALLY a hope this isn’t a repeat of the Trestman hire, where Trestman’s willingness to keep Marinelli got him the job, except that Marinelli wanted no part of Trestman. I don’t get why so many people are fired up about this. This concerns me quite a bit.

A difference here, is that they interview Nagy 2morrow.... and Vic is still under contract until Monday or something like that (if memory serves)......

If all the candidates are open to keeping Vic, you could see a push to resign him before he even hits the market and in essence not have the same issue Trestman had with Marinelli.  It obviously gets signifcantly more interesting/complicated for candidates who either don't want Vic, or if Vic wants out (though he honestly doesn't have great options right now.... San Fran is keeping their guy, and Green Bay is arguably a worse roster than what we have without A-Rodgers... and set to decline as Rodgers gets old)

5 minutes ago, IronMike84 said:

Really depends on if the conversation was "I would be willing to keep Vic as my DC" or "I have spoken to Vic and he wants to stay as part of my staff"...only the later means jack.

43 minutes ago, IronMike84 said:

Couple key differences

1. Lovie and Marinelli were tight. Fox and Fangio were not.

2. Trestman was an obscure hire and hadn’t been in the NFL in forever. Word was Marinelli would have stayed with Arians.

3. Defensive talent was old or garbage

14 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

The buzz is that the interview went really well.

Wouldnt shock me if they hit it off.

Another Rumors is the that DeFilippo wants to bring Mike Groh as OC, which would be nice with how bad our WRs are.

What other tweets have you seen that indicate the interview went well?

43 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

The buzz is that the interview went really well.

Wouldnt shock me if they hit it off.

Another Rumors is the that DeFilippo wants to bring Mike Groh as OC, which would be nice with how bad our WRs are.

Windy - where are you sourcing this info from?

1 hour ago, Epyon said:

Was thinking more Bears/Browns Toilet Bowls.  I'm just really sour on "boring" choices... I want a bold choice with higher upside, even if there's risk of another Trestman.

As far as personality he might be boring, but I feel like Shurmur might be the biggest boom or bust prospect. Seeing him with a legit top 10 QB and Cook would have been damn scary to mix with that defense.

I still prefer Flip, but Shurmur has shown enough I wouldn't balk a bit if his name is introduced as Pace's guy.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

Couple key differences

1. Lovie and Marinelli were tight. Fox and Fangio were not.

2. Trestman was an obscure hire and hadn’t been in the NFL in forever. Word was Marinelli would have stayed with Arians.

3. Defensive talent was old or garbage

The defense was old, but they were still the #5 defense in 2012.

And #2 just proves my point. If DeFilippo is hired, it needs to be because he’s the best candidate. He can’t get brownie points because he wants to keep Fangio. That would greatly undermine the process.

1 hour ago, IronMike84 said:

The defense was old, but they were still the #5 defense in 2012.

And #2 just proves my point. If DeFilippo is hired, it needs to be because he’s the best candidate. He can’t get brownie points because he wants to keep Fangio. That would greatly undermine the process.

Pretty much no matter who we hire aren’t those who want to believe in George/Ted meddling gonna still play that card? Shurmur and they made Pace hire a safe guy. Flip/Nagy with Fangio and they won points for saying they would keep Fangio. Toub and it’s a guy they know and are comfortable with. 

Archived