UPDATED: Future Head Coaching Options Discussion

G08

25 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Some interesting nuggets from Jeff Dickerson about DeFilippo from Waddle and Silvy on Friday.

1. People in Philly and the Bears believe after being there the DeFilippo had more to do with the rise of Carson Wentz than Reich and Pederson.

2. Ownership in Philly loves DeFilippo, blocked him last year from interviewing for an OC. They value him way more than Reich (Rapaport).

3. Carson Wentz and Trubisky are close friends. Same agent, work out together in the offseason and Trubisky wants to do what Wentz did this season. Could be a strong endorsement from Wentz to Trubisky and then Trubisky to the Bears.

IMO that is what makes DeFillippo the favourite to land the job.

48 minutes ago, Rogerthat said:

Sheene = Kelsey. Cohen = Hill. The FA WR line up well with his needs. This would be a one offseason turn around 

Shaheen might be as good as Kelce someday. All Cohen is a complementary piece on a good offense. If Cohen is your best player on offense you will go 6-10 every year. It can be a 1 year turnaround to make the playoffs but not a Super Bowl.

Rapaport

The Eagles could very well fire Reich and promote DeFilippo if he doesn’t get a HC job.

Generally the NFL is positive about Trubisky. Some candidates think Trubisky can be a Star. No one he has spoken to thinks Trubisky is a miss.

Very complimentary of DeFilippo’s work with players.

9 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Rapaport

The Eagles could very well fire Reich and promote DeFilippo if he doesn’t get a HC job.

Generally the NFL is positive about Trubisky. Some candidates think Trubisky can be a Star. No one he has spoken to thinks Trubisky is a miss.

Very complimentary of DeFilippo’s work with players.

There is no doudt that Trubisky wont bust but how good can he be. The Bears are betting on him being a star though. If he doesn't though it will stunt the Bears rebound.

29 minutes ago, Rogerthat said:

The more likely scenario was the George and Ted thought tresman was a great idea. Had egg all over their faces which is exactly why they brought in Erie to do the job that Ted should be doing. Truth is Ted and George might be great guys but they don’t know football

Actually thats not the more likely scenario, not even close to likely.  They didnt know anything about Trestman and the pc announcing the hire started with 20 mins of Emery talking about "synergy". If you think Trestman was a pick by George & Ted, you clearly werent paying attention to what went on at the time of the hire, and what went on at the time that Trestman AND Emery were fired.  Theres also no evidence that Jerry Angelo wasnt completely empowered.  Again its all just Bears angst.

35 minutes ago, Rogerthat said:

The more likely scenario was the George and Ted thought tresman was a great idea. Had egg all over their faces which is exactly why they brought in Erie to do the job that Ted should be doing. Truth is Ted and George might be great guys but they don’t know football

Actually thats not the more likely scenario, not even close to likely.  They didnt know anything about Trestman and the pc announcing the hire started with 20 mins of Emery talking about "synergy". If you think Trestman was a pick by George & Ted, you clearly werent paying attention to what went on at the time of the hire, and what went on at the time that Trestman AND Emery were fired.  Theres also no evidence that Jerry Angelo wasnt completely empowered.  

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

The talk from the beat guys is that Ted and George gave Emery full control and total autonomy to make the Trestman hire and were embarrassed by it.

That is why they are keeping a closer eye on this process.

I imagine they want to hear the whole plan bc ultimately it wasnt really Trestman that embarrassed the bears it was his coordinators.  Which was my fear when he brought in mel tucker.  If ted & george were the meddlers that fans think they are, Chris Ballard would have been hired instead of Ryan Pace, they wouldnt have made a point to say Ryan Pace is in charge of football ops.  Ted wouldnt be giving all credit for the expansion to Pace.  Furthermore Ryan Pace probably doesnt sign an extension if he doesn't believe this is his show.

23 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

My first question at the pc after the hire is announced if Fangio is retained is whos idea was it.  My hope is that Flip or whoever went in to the interview with Fangio in his plan.  If one of the trio brought it up thats a problem.

I’m less concerned about that than a lot of you guys as long as it’s a suggestion and not a mandate. It’s not like they’d be suggesting keeping a bad coach. Fangio is a very good coach.

The situation is different than the Marinelli situation to me too because with Marinelli they also needed to completely overhaul the aging personnel. That’s not the case here - they have a young defensive core that’s good already and trending upward that’s been built around the scheme of this specific coach. Especially in a situation with a younger coach with questions about how the room may receive them having a stabilizing force already in the locker room can be a real asset and can help set that coach up for success.

All of that said, as I’ve said before any one of these candidates would be a fool to not be strongly considering retaining Fangio on their own. They should already be talking about keeping Fangio before it’s ever asked about or suggested by Pace & Co. 

6 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I’m less concerned about that than a lot of you guys as long as it’s a suggestion and not a mandate. It’s not like they’d be suggesting keeping a bad coach. Fangio is a very good coach.

The situation is different than the Marinelli situation to me too because with Marinelli they also needed to completely overhaul the aging personnel. That’s not the case here - they have a young defensive core that’s good already and trending upward that’s been built around the scheme of this specific coach. Especially in a situation with a younger coach with questions about how the room may receive them having a stabilizing force already in the locker room can be a real asset and can help set that coach up for success.

All of that said, as I’ve said before any one of these candidates would be a fool to not be strongly considering retaining Fangio on their own. They should already be talking about keeping Fangio before it’s ever asked about or suggested by Pace & Co. 

Az, i agree any of these candidates would b a fool to not have Fangio as part of their plan, IF they can get him to stay.  I do think its very telling that the bears "blocked" the Bengals.  I think there may b a deal close to being done to keep Fangio, which would not be a bad thing, but it should b the new hcs decision, not one thats pushed on him.

5 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Az, i agree any of these candidates would b a fool to not have Fangio as part of their plan, IF they can get him to stay.  I do think its very telling that the bears "blocked" the Bengals.  I think there may b a deal close to being done to keep Fangio, which would not be a bad thing, but it should b the new hcs decision, not one thats pushed on him.

Retaining Fangio also keeps some experience on the staff to counterbalance the relative inexperience that a Nagy or Flip might bring to the table. It’s very similar to what we saw the Rams do with McVay and Wade Phillips. Fangio is widely acknowledged as one of the best in the business AND as the architect of this defense. A rookie coach would be foolish not to strongly consider keeping him.

OTOH, my understanding is that Fangio has gotten NO REQUESTS for HC interviews — only other DC jobs. As William Munny said, “A man has to know his own limitations.”

9 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

I said suggested, not pushed. I don’t want them to say “You should keep this guy because he’s good.” I have no problem with “Have you considered keeping Fangio? He’s good.” To me that’s very different, albeit moot since the candidate should already be on it. 

Depending on who our hire is timing could make this look bad for the team. Say they reach a handshake agreement with Flip or Shurmur but they continue to advance and we can’t formalize the hire for 3 weeks. The HC may give them the go ahead to retain Fangio to be his DC but we will not be told as such because we can’t be. It’ll look terrible on Pace & Co. I’m not even sure they can tell us that was the case later on because I don’t know if it would qualify as tampering.

Those who want to believe the front office is overly involved will get their fodder in almost any situation that plays out here, and really the one situation where they really don’t (young candidate hired, Fangio not retained) may ultimately be a worse situation for the future of the team. 

6 minutes ago, IotaNet said:

Retaining Fangio also keeps some experience on the staff to counterbalance the relative inexperience that a Nagy or Flip might bring to the table. It’s very similar to what we saw the Rams do with McVay and Wade Phillips. Fangio is widely acknowledged as one of the best in the business AND as the architect of this defense. A rookie coach would be foolish not to strongly consider keeping him.

OTOH, my understanding is that Fangio has gotten NO REQUESTS for HC interviews — only other DC jobs. As William Munny said, “A man has to know his own limitations.”

So many good lines in that movie. 

Archived