UPDATED: Future Head Coaching Options Discussion

G08

9 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I’m just ready for 1/1 to get here so we can get this process started. I want something to be excited about with this team going forward besides the prospects for  development of the QB which is basically in a holding pattern for the time being. I want to see guys in place who give me optimism for the future of the franchise. I’m not even picky - just give me anyone with visible upside to help max out our QB. Give me a competent, logical hire. I don’t think that’s asking a lot. 

This is the Bears organization we are talking about.  If there is to be ongoing meddling from ownership and Sweaty Teddy Phillips then we can expect more of the same.

I really hope Pace gets a chance to hire 'HIS' guy with no influence from any of these two dotards.

10 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I’m just ready for 1/1 to get here so we can get this process started. I want something to be excited about with this team going forward besides the prospects for  development of the QB which is basically in a holding pattern for the time being. I want to see guys in place who give me optimism for the future of the franchise. I’m not even picky - just give me anyone with visible upside to help max out our QB. Give me a competent, logical hire. I don’t think that’s asking a lot. 

Man am I with you. It's exciting knowing that we're going in another direction, but it's terrifying because it's the Bears and Lord only knows how many different ways we can F this up.

I'm a bit intrigued by:

HC: Pat Shurmur

OC: John Defilippo

DC: Chuck Pagano

So who are some of head coaching candidates for this offseason?  I have compiled a list in no order of preference:

• Matt Lafleur
  • Matt Nagy
  • Frank Reich
  • John DeFilippo
  • Josh McDaniels
  • Matt Patricia
  • Pete Carmichael Jr.
  • Dan Campbell
  • John Morton
  • Mike Shula
  • Pat Shurmur
  • Darrell Bevell
  • Jim Bob Cooter
  • Teryl Austin
  • Jim Harbaugh
  • Nick Saban
  • David Shaw
  • Pat Fitzgerald
  • Bob Stoops

Anyone else I'm missing?

what if you hire a Frank Reich and he wants to bring over the eagles scheme including defense and switches the team to a 4-3.  I personally feel the bears could go to a 4-3 team on defense easily.  plus if you do go 4-3 you have a blue chip FA in Ziggy Ansah and you'll have a top 6 pick to add a DE. 

19 minutes ago, Rogerthat said:

Pace's short list

1 Pete Carmichael Jr

fire fox 1/1/2018 hire Carmichael 1/2/2018

This feels like such a layup answer for Pace... and I equate it to Emery hiring Trestman where he could slap him around and tell him exactly what he wants to have happen.

Could be good... could be bad

My wish is that the next head coach to be a former QB (college or NFL level) and who has experience in calling plays on offense.  Guys who fit that criteria are:

• Jim Harbaugh
  • Matt Lafleur
  • Frank Reich
  • John DeFilippo
  • Matt Nagy
  • Josh McDaniels
  • Mike Shula
  • Darrell Bevell
  • Jim Bob Cooter

29 minutes ago, Rogerthat said:

what if you hire a Frank Reich and he wants to bring over the eagles scheme including defense and switches the team to a 4-3.  I personally feel the bears could go to a 4-3 team on defense easily.  plus if you do go 4-3 you have a blue chip FA in Ziggy Ansah and you'll have a top 6 pick to add a DE. 

Where does Leonard Floyd fit in a 4-3 defense?  He's already on the edge of too small to play OLB in a 3-4, I can't see him putting his hand in the dirt every down as a 4-3 end, so that would put him out of position.  I don't see Pace agreeing to bring in a scheme that is going to turn one of his biggest success stories into a failure.

1 hour ago, Rogerthat said:

Absolutely they could switch

RE - RRH

DT - Hicks

NT - Goldman

LE- Bullard

LOLB - Kwiatkowski

MLB - Trevathan

ROLB - Floyd

CB - Fuller

CB - Amukamara

FS - Jackson

SS - Amos

Not perfect by any means but it is a pretty good starting point. Need pass rusher as a top priority. Floyd puts his hand in the dirt in nickel, we need depth. IDC the system, I just want production. Floyd was picked after playing a ton of MLB and is being dropped with regularity, so he wasn't put in just as a pass rusher (though I feel that is his best trait and is underutilized).

33 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

That being said, I would be ok with Frank Reich as a HC candidate if he's willing to adopt a defensive scheme best suited to our most talented players.  Also, would Akiem Hicks become a 3 technique? Our front 7 isn't ideal for a 4-3 currently.

Hicks remains an interior player in any alignment. The Bears align in 4-3 Under when they’re in nickel most of the time anyway.

Just now, IronMike84 said:

Hicks remains an interior player in any alignment. The Bears align in 4-3 Under when they’re in nickel most of the time anyway.

Right, I wasnt' envisioning him moving to end, just trying to figure out the roles, though I suppose you are right considering we are in the nickel fairly frequently.

Just now, WindyCity said:

Personally,

I would move heaven and earth to get David Shaw. I think he is the prefect candidate for any job and that he also brings Tomlin level swagger and confidence to the position. He is the only coach I would entertain losing Pace to land.

Shaw is definitely the best candidate out there, IMO.  I still am very skeptical he wants to leave stanford

6 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

Shaw is definitely the best candidate out there, IMO.  I still am very skeptical he wants to leave stanford

I do not think he does and not for the Bears who will be on their 4th coach in 6 years.

But I would fire Ryan Pace to land David Shaw, that is how much I believe in him.

Archived