Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Broncofan

I was genuinely surprised to see no thread on what I think is one of the best TV shows around - and no, you don't need to be a Trekkie to enjoy to that extent.

For those that aren't that familiar with it - if you are familiar with The Original Series from the Shatner/Nimoy days, then great, it enhances the experiences with the callbacks.  But really, all you need is a 20 minute Youtube recap on Captain Pike's tragic future that's been foretold in both TOS and then Discovery (but no, you don't need to actually catch up fully - find a YouTube recap).   And then, buckle up for what's been 9 amazing episodes (OK, IMO 8 amazing eps and 1 amusing, and heartwrenching ending, but not quite as great as the others).  

The highs:

-Anson Mount is fantastic as Christopher Pike.   He's created a likeable yet watchable captain who operates differently than anyone in the past - in that he's not just a Boy Scout by his optimism, but he's a full-on consensus builder and delegator.   He's not charging on and taking the final calls - and by leaving the crew to make key decisions / be the front and center, the crew gets MASSIVE character development.  And that’s not to say he’s a vanilla character - with his storyline and Mount’s portrayal he’s a genuinely interesting and likeable lead.  But the show doesn’t suffer when he’s offscreen or in the background, either.  

-Did I mention the crew?   Yeah, young Spock is really a lot of fun (more on that in a minute), young Uhura we get to see become Starfleet material, but it's more than just reimagining recognizable names.  The rest of the crew is just outstanding.   From the Navigator Ortega, to their Number One (Rebecca Romjin-Stamos no less), Khan's descendant as security chief (and yeah, there's so much baggage to get through), and the medical staff are just MILES better depth-wise and character development wise than the Original Series (and OMG the chemistry between Nurse Chapel & Spock).  

-The episodic nature is actually a massive plus - rather than trying to tie one unifying story arc, they've gone back to The Original Series / Next Generation formula with one-offs - but the key is that each ep in S1 focuses on a different character.  And they frankly knock the character development out of the park.    You get to know each one is so much depth, and you care so much more by the end of that ep.   The story writing has been just top-notch, along with great switches in planet cinematography, space battles, and of course, what series can't have at least 1 ep with space pirates??? (another hopeful nemesis will be a recurring character from that ep too).

-Having said the above, S1 has allowed the development of a true nemesis to be feared.  1.9 just blew the roof off their threat level, and it was Alien-esque in the superb execution. 

-The writers have also given the crew L's, like Pike's episode with his return to an old familiar planet (no spoilers).    It's not just the crew winning and beating the odds each time.   Love that kind of balance. 

-Finally, I have to mention again the chemistry with the crew.    Ethan Peck does a great job of showing the struggle of Spock dealing with his humanity - but you actually end up liking and rooting for his fiancee T'Pring, even though there is smoking hot connection with Nurse Chapel.     The women in the cast are just outstanding as well - Christina Chong's Laan is just terrific in dealing with the massive baggage of her prior life, and her rage/anger vs. the new enemy is so palpable.   Jess Bush gives us a Nurse Chapel that is so likeable and nothing like TOS' vanilla portrayal.   And while I much preferred the reboot's Uhura to the Original Series (but realizing TOS was ground breaking for its time in having her onscreen at all), Celia Gooding has done a great job in showing what young Uhura has been like.

Honestly, if you aren't sure, or haven't watched it, my advice:

1. Watch this video to understand Pike's story:

2.  Watch the show.   If you need to, go to Den of Geek and read about the references / backstory behind the ep - it's not necessary, but if you want to  understand why Trekkies lose their mind on social media when some scenes occur, well, there you go.  https://www.denofgeek.com/star-trek/ - then click on the Easter Eggs story for each episode.

But again, here's the thing - other than the Pike timeline/backstory, you don't need to have more background to enjoy what is an amazing breakout series.   Thank me later.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

I am not sure there is a huge Trekie contingent on FF 

Thing is you really don’t need to be one to enjoy the series….a lot.   That’s a big departure from the other ST shows IMO.      There were only 2 series / movies where I think that statement could be used - The Next Generation & the Abrams reboot.   

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Thing is you really don’t need to be one to enjoy the series….a lot.   That’s a big departure from the other ST shows IMO.      There were only 2 series / movies where I think that statement could be used - The Next Generation & the Abrams reboot.   

Honestly find the Abrams films fun. They arent particularly good movies but they are worth repeat viewings IMO. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Honestly find the Abrams films fun. They arent particularly good movies but they are worth repeat viewings IMO. 

Yeah it was also the first time since TNG you could bring in new fans and they’d be OK without any real background.      This is the other time imo.  Well worth it IMO it’s that good.  

Edited by Broncofan