General Talk

DoleINGout

On 5/6/2019 at 7:28 PM, DoleINGout said:

@Troy Brown Thoughts?

I know I'm one of the few IT homers here but I think, especially in Boston recently, players with heart thrive with the fans and elevate the team. I don't think Kyrie has elevated anyone and I don't think he's capable of doing so. I'm all in on Kyrie leaving. I truly believe he's a cancer. I'd rather start Smart or Rozier next year than watch Brown/Tatum regress or stand still even longer. I just wish the Celtics could land someone like Mike Conley without paying that albatross of a contract. 

This is a good team. As players, there's a future and there's also a present. But I think Kyrie holds it all back from taking the next level. Which is also interesting because they can't take the next step without Kyrie. But if he doesn't buy in, and he has not bought it, then it's useless to keep trying to fit circles into squares. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Troy Brown said:

I know I'm one of the few IT homers here but I think, especially in Boston recently, players with heart thrive with the fans and elevate the team. I don't think Kyrie has elevated anyone and I don't think he's capable of doing so. I'm all in on Kyrie leaving. I truly believe he's a cancer. I'd rather start Smart or Rozier next year than watch Brown/Tatum regress or stand still even longer. I just wish the Celtics could land someone like Mike Conley without paying that albatross of a contract. 

This is a good team. As players, there's a future and there's also a present. But I think Kyrie holds it all back from taking the next level. Which is also interesting because they can't take the next step without Kyrie. But if he doesn't buy in, and he has not bought it, then it's useless to keep trying to fit circles into squares. 

I see that, but given Ainge's health and affinity for Anthony Davis as well as the confirmed reciprocal interest by Kevin Durant, I could legitimately see a scenario where those three team up. Also factoring into this equation the supposed Jayson Tatum immaturity at the beginning of the season and that's basically why I brought up KD/AD/Kyrie.

Personally, I tend to agree with you. Let Tatum and Brown carry the squad. We'll see what Ainge does though. He loves his team but he also loves these big free agents.

18 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

There was a Boston sports thread in this sub. If I make a new one will people use it?

I think this is fine... just because... like... idk... not like there is a ton of other sports team talk. Plus there are sub-forums with "official" threads dedicated to the Celtics and Red Sox. We could just revive the old one too, and pin it.

1 hour ago, DoleINGout said:

I think this is fine... just because... like... idk... not like there is a ton of other sports team talk. Plus there are sub-forums with "official" threads dedicated to the Celtics and Red Sox. We could just revive the old one too, and pin it.

pro-tip, new thread always better than reviving old thread

Im going to assume this is just a playoff spike in chatter and leave it at that

@Troy Brown

My feeling is... those first three into the locker room are leaving. Kyrie, Horford, Rozier.

Just keep Tatum and Brown and everything is well. I'm not a Marcus Smart fan so I would not care if he gets moved. But I'm not expecting that to happen at all.

Baynes, Theis, Morris are all free agents. I don't care if any of them are back.

Ride out Hayward for two more years. He can play good defense and has his moment on offense. The scheme should suit him better going forward anyways, and he will continue to grow confidence the more he plays since his injury.

Robert Williams is a solid core piece in all of this as well.

Sign a few free agents at least like Paul Millsap and stick with the draft picks. Return to the principals Brad Stevens coached with prior to 2019.

The Celtics, if all this happens, will be right back in the playoffs next year with a better chance to advance.

Kemba Walker would be nice too... no?

PG: Darren Collison (UFA, Pacers)

SG: Gordon Hayward

SF: Jaylen Brown

PF: Jayson Tatum

C: Ed Davis (UFA, Nets)

Bench:

PG: T.J. McConnell (UFA, Sixers)

SG: Marcus Smart

SF: Trevor Ariza (UFA, Wizards)

PF: Max Kleber (RFA, Mavericks)

C: Robert Williams

Alternatives for the Celtics:

PG: Ricky Rubio (UFA, Jazz)

PF: Taj Gibson (UFA, Timberwolves)

PF: Markieff Morris (UFA, Thunder)

C: Brook Lopez (UFA, Bucks)

Plus draft picks.

I'd like to think Horford is back, especially with the talk of him taking a discounted deal. In a perfect world, Marcus Morris would be affordable as well and would also come back. Not really what other moves would be made, if the Celtics move on Davis, Kawhi, or Durant, but I'd be willing to bet Rozier is brought back as well, if only as a trade asset. 

If I were Ainge, I'd let Marcus Morris walk and bring back Daniel Theis.

Theis has performed well in green. Advanced stats smile upon him, he's active and can switch defensively.

Morris is a solid NBA player, but he's all about getting his, and he doesn't fit a supporting role well.

I'm not sure what external guys the Celtics could add if/when Kyrie walks. I like Satoransky from the Wizards but he's RFA.

On 5/8/2019 at 8:25 PM, DoleINGout said:

I see that, but given Ainge's health and affinity for Anthony Davis as well as the confirmed reciprocal interest by Kevin Durant, I could legitimately see a scenario where those three team up. Also factoring into this equation the supposed Jayson Tatum immaturity at the beginning of the season and that's basically why I brought up KD/AD/Kyrie.

Personally, I tend to agree with you. Let Tatum and Brown carry the squad. We'll see what Ainge does though. He loves his team but he also loves these big free agents.

@Troy Brown

@24isthelaw

Trade Tatum and Smart/Hayward with draft picks to get Davis. Sign Durant. Kyrie probably returns at that point. Hordford takes a friendly deal for two more years, and Jaylen Brown stays the shooting guard.

Maybe you can't sign all of those guys, so Smart or Rozier or another point guard is signed to be your starter like I suggested with Darren Collison and Ricky Rubio. Jeff Teague fits in too maybe.

I just can't root for Kyrie. If he comes back, sure, I'll try to come to terms with it but I have no interest in him as a Celtic. I just don't think he's conducive to winning

12 hours ago, 24isthelaw said:

If I were Ainge, I'd let Marcus Morris walk and bring back Daniel Theis.

Theis has performed well in green. Advanced stats smile upon him, he's active and can switch defensively.

Morris is a solid NBA player, but he's all about getting his, and he doesn't fit a supporting role well.

I'm not sure what external guys the Celtics could add if/when Kyrie walks. I like Satoransky from the Wizards but he's RFA.

I disagree about Morris... I do agree in that he can be kind of a blackhole offensively but I do think this team needed that this year at times. I think he was one of the only players on the team that felt comfortable and knew his role...  He's a ++ defender and a ++ leader. He's a dude that bought in entirely. Guess I'm a stan, tho

Edited by Troy Brown

5 hours ago, Troy Brown said:

I disagree about Morris... I do agree in that he can be kind of a blackhole offensively but I do think this team needed that this year at times. I think he was one of the only players on the team that felt comfortable and knew his role...  He's a ++ defender and a ++ leader. He's a dude that bought in entirely. Guess I'm a stan, tho

I agree, I think he is critical for bench moral and moral in general. Does he turn into no pass charlie? Every time there isnt a play called and even sometimes when there is. I think the intangibles out weight that and he is worth a mid-level. Dont know if he is eligible for one.