General Talk

DoleINGout

• 3 weeks later...

Best case scenario for the Celtics at this point is for Horford to walk in free agency and give them $30 million in cap space. Ainge seems determined to acquire Anthony Davis. To get Davis you have to give up Tatum and more. So, you get Davis, Kyrie Irving re-signs, and hopefully you can recruit Kevin Durant successfully this time. Line up looks like:

Kyrie Irving

Gordon Hayward

Jaylen Brown

Kevin Durant

Anthony Davis

With Marcus Smart, Aron Baynes, Daniel Theis, Semi Ojeleye, and others on the bench.

12 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

Best case scenario for the Celtics at this point is for Horford to walk in free agency and give them $30 million in cap space. Ainge seems determined to acquire Anthony Davis. To get Davis you have to give up Tatum and more. So, you get Davis, Kyrie Irving re-signs, and hopefully you can recruit Kevin Durant successfully this time. Line up looks like:

Kyrie Irving

Gordon Hayward

Jaylen Brown

Kevin Durant

Anthony Davis

With Marcus Smart, Aron Baynes, Daniel Theis, Semi Ojeleye, and others on the bench.

yeah I don't see it.

I think Kyrie goes to NYK and Durant as well. 

The Celts probably acquire Davis but the supporting cast will be not very good. The Hayward contract really doomed them.

12 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

Kyrie Irving

Gordon Hayward

Jaylen Brown

Kevin Durant

Anthony Davis

1) Theis is UFA

2) Baynes has an opt-out, and is likely UFA

3) To make the money match in a Davis trade, you need to send >$21M in salary to the Pelicans. So Tatum and Horford, unless you're willing to part with Brown and Smart instead of Horford

I think the realistic AD/Kyrie scenario is this:

1) Give max extension to Kyrie

2) Trade Tatum, Brown, and Smart for AD

3) Re-sign Marcus Morris and Terry Rozier using bird rights

4) Backfill the bench with scraps. Hope Marcus can convince Markieff Morris to play here on the cheap

AD-Horford-Morris-Hayward-Irving with Rozier-Morris #2 and whatever you can scrounge off the bench.

7 minutes ago, 24isthelaw said:

2) Trade Tatum, Brown, and Smart for AD

There is no way you trade both Brown and Tatum. One yes, but both? Not worth it. And I don't completely count out Kevin Durant.

Horford has an opt-out just like Baynes that I could see being taken advantage of.

10 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

it's the same. They are paying a mediocre player All NBA money.

He was mediocre at best this season until the very end and in the first series with the Pacers. His defense has been very good against the Bucks, at least last night it was. With his first year now under the belt on the Celtics, I expect Hayward to play up to his contract next season. That injury took him a long time to recover from mentally, but I think he is back. The way he has performed offensively against the Bucks is as much about the Bucks defense and how it matches up against Hayward who is still not quite 100%, as it is about the whole Celtics team right now not gelling. The isolation/ball dominant style of Kyrie Irving is counter to the style of play the Celtics used to be known for and I think under that old system it is where Hayward and the rest of the team will shine.

3 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

There is no way you trade both Brown and Tatum. One yes, but both? Not worth it. And I don't completely count out Kevin Durant.

Horford has an opt-out just like Baynes that I could see being taken advantage of.

Whether it's worth to trade both it is another question, but:

1) I would expect part of convincing Kyrie to stay is getting rid of them. 

2) How would you make the money work otherwise? If Horford opts in, you can trade him and keep Brown/Smart. IF he'd play along which is a big if. And then you haven't solved the team's chemistry issues if you're trading the only guy who knows how to play with his teammates. And you know AD/Kyrie want to play with Horford.

To keep Horford, you've got to combine Brown and Smart to match the money. Or Smart and Rozier via S&T combined, but that'd be tricky because 1) New Orleans has to actually agree to it 2) Rozier has to play along.

1 minute ago, 24isthelaw said:

To keep Horford

That's the thing I'm saying though, there is no guarantee Horford even opts into his deal. If he does, maybe he does so for the money but understands that he can be traded acquire a guy like Anthony Davis.

4 minutes ago, 24isthelaw said:

If Horford opts in, you can trade him and keep Brown/Smart. IF he'd play along which is a big if.

Exactly, the Celtics definitely keep Brown who can play with Kyrie now no problem. Tatum seems to be the one who had a sophomore slump partly due to ego, (especially at the beginning). I don't really care what happens with Marcus Smart. He is not a good offensive player at all so if he is gone then fine but if he comes back he is nice off the bench at times too.