Resign or Let Go? See Link.

https://sports.yahoo.com/list-eagles-players-heading-final-123058557.html 

Interesting article I saw on Yahoo sports. 

A lot of names listed here. A lot of players over 30 too. 

Who do you want to keep?

Who gets a big time contract?

Who do you want to let go?

Camp ain't for a few days. It'll give us something to pass the time. 

Discuss!

Go Birds

MC

2 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Marcus Epps too

Ehhh, maybe I just don't have the insight you do, but he still feels like a career backup/3rd safety kinda guy to me. I suppose if he's fairly cheap it could be worthwhile.

1 hour ago, Danger said:

Ehhh, maybe I just don't have the insight you do, but he still feels like a career backup/3rd safety kinda guy to me. I suppose if he's fairly cheap it could be worthwhile.

Look I'm not saying that PFF grades mean a ton, but they had him graded as the 2nd best safety in the league in run defense and him being highly effective in that area just based on the eye test from the broadcast film (I wish I had access to All-22 right now but NFL.com shut down the GamePass subscriptions for the time being). I was recently going back to watch a couple of games on defense last month and in both I saw Epps tracking well from deep to stop the run.

Also, I can't look up how many coverage snaps each safety had, but Harris had 4 (1 INT + 3 PD), McLeod had 6 (2 INT + 4 PD), and Epps on the least amount of total snaps had 6 (1 INT + 5 PD). 

Let's just assume he plays really well this year, then we can extend him during the season like Maddox. He doesn't turn 27 until late January, so we couldhave him for his prime years (27-28 or 29 years old) and then either draft a safety (maybe one day they'll answer our prayers lol) or find one on the FA market like we did with Jenkins and McLeod. I don't think you want to enter the 2023 offseason with 2 starting safety spots to fill. Harris will be turning 31 during this season and Tartt will turn 31 shortly after its over. If we can lock up Epps for a shorter multi year extension (2/3 years) for a fair price, then I think that would be the smart thing to do. 

I'm not gonna say Epps is gonna be an All-Pro like Jordan Poyer was at 30 years old this past season, but the Bills smartly signed him after he hit free agency after his rookie contract after the Eagles cut him during his rookie year and he spent his first 4 years with the Browns after they claimed him off waivers. We did that same thing with Epps when the Vikings cut him during his rookie year and we picked him up off waivers. Poyer started 10 games in Cleveland with all 10 coming in his last 2 seasons of his 4 year rookie contract. Epps has already started 8 games for us in his 2nd and 3rd years. Now, he's going into his 4th and final year of his contract and should hopefully start more games this year with two older safeties we know won't be a part of our future going forward. Epps will be a year older than Poyer when the last year of his rookie deal wraps up, but the similarities are there. The Bills signed Poyer to a modest 4 year / 14 million dollar deal which turned out to be a fantastic signing for them as he amassed 426 tackles, 7 sacks, 6 FFs, 27 PDs, and 13 INTs over that contract and earned 1st team All Pro in the first year of his 2 year extension. Epps doesn't have to have the career arc Poyer has had to still end up being a smart signing by us. 

I think calling him a career back-up is a bit on the disrespectful side (not saying you were trying to be) and selling him short. Obivously he has to go out again this year and prove his worth to earn that new contract, but I think with the chip he has on his shoulder (no offers out of high school.... walked on at Wyoming.... drafted late round and cut during his rookie year), work ethic, and how his play has improved in his short time he's been with us that I wouldn't doubt him possibly doing it. Definitely will be keeping a close eye on his play this year.

Edited by TheRealMcCoy
  • Like 1

On 7/6/2022 at 4:20 AM, EaglesPeteC said:

I expect Hargrave to get done before the season starts tbh

I see Hargrave as a guy they let walk. Historically this is the kinda guy Howie wouldn't consider if he is getting big money which he likely will. 30 years old next offseason, probably peeking right now, occasionally injured, and plays on the DL where Howie loves to spend draft capital.

I think this is the last year Javon plays for the Eagles unless they can get him on a team friendly deal for some reason.

On 7/6/2022 at 4:20 AM, EaglesPeteC said:

I expect Hargrave to get done before the season starts tbh

I expect them to wait until around week 7 to see what he looks like (and also see if Milton looks ready to start next year if we don't keep Hargrave)

Edited by Jeezla

On 7/7/2022 at 12:13 PM, Jeezla said:

I expect them to wait until around week 7 to see what he looks like (and also see if Milton looks ready to start next year if we don't keep Hargrave)

I'd argue it happens later. Think weeks 8 to 11 in November. That has typically been when we have given out in season  extensions.

Just look at last year:

Jordan Mailata - September 11th (right before week 1 vs. the Falcons.... definitely were expecting him to have a big year with how he looked in camp)

Josh Sweat - September 18th (right before week 2 vs. the Niners..... think they wanted to get out ahead thinking he could put up a double digit sack season)

Dallas Goedert - November 19th extension

Avonte Maddox - November 20th extension

TJ Edwards - November 22nd extension

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I believe they've done quite a few other extensions in November in the past and it especially makes sense for Hargrave. He'll turn 30 after this season.

It would suck to ink him to a big extension now and then he isn't as good this season or worse he has a season ending injury in camp or in the first half of the year.