Will 2 teams from the same conference make the playoffs ???

Iamcanadian

42 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:
10 hours ago, cp0k2 said:

Keep in mind that Clemson and Ohio State's Athletic Directors are on the committee. 

Yep absolute bull****. Now we know why Clemson is #2

They don't vote on the teams they're affiliated with...

10 hours ago, NateDawg said:

I’m not sure how a playoff selection process can be considered neutral under this type of setup, regardless of how fair the respective ADs attempt to be. 

They don't vote on the teams they're affiliated with...that's a pretty fair setup 

Some years I can see 2 teams from the same conference if the conference looks like it is the dominant conference.  I don't think that is this year though.  No one conference has separated itself, so I think we end up with either 4 separate conferences or 3 and Notre Dame.

1 hour ago, IDOG_det said:

They don't vote on the teams they're affiliated with...

Just because they don't vote on the teams they're affiliated with does not mean there's still no influence there in the general conversation or in the voting of the rest of the panel, even if subconsciously.

14 minutes ago, Nozizaki said:

What happens if a 1 loss Georgia beats an undefeated Alabama in the SEC title game? I'd assume Georgia gets in and Alabama doesn't but I really do feel the committee would be tempted put both in.

Absolute chaos happens if this scenario goes down. I think both get in because I can't see any other 1 loss teams out there and each team would have 1 loss against ranked competition.

Only teams that could potentially get in before a 11-2 Big ten Champ OSU would be:

Clemson beats Miami - both of those teams are going. Clemson stays at 2 and Miami drops to 4. 

Georgia beats Bama - Both of those teams are going. Georgia moves back into the top 4 at #3 and Bama goes to #4. 

If Clemson and Georgia lose their Championship games... they are done.

Pac 12 shot themselves in the foot, ND has no conference, and none of the other 2 loss teams will have a conference championship game.  OSU gets the 4th spot basically by default. 

So Buckeye fans need Miami and Bama to keep winning. Also we need to get past Illinois, scUM, and UW. No easy task. 

If we don't make it to the playoffs, I'd love to play in order of excitement:

1 - Clemson in the Orange Bowl

2 - OU in the Fiesta Bowl

3 - Pac 12 Champ in the Fiesta Bowl. 

That is all

Masatercheddaar

2 hours ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

I think there’s a good chance Clemson beats Miami and they both get in. If Wisconsin loses Big Ten ‘ship.

I still think they'd take a two-loss Ohio State over a one-loss Miami (assuming they lose their conference championship).

I’m not sure if they’d go over a one-loss Canes or not. Might depend on how close that Clemson game is. They’d certainly go over a non-conference champion two loss Clemson though. Probably not over a potential one-loss non champion Bama, despite a meh resume.

5 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

I’m not sure if they’d go over a one-loss Canes or not. Might depend on how close that Clemson game is. They’d certainly go over a non-conference champion two loss Clemson though. Probably not over a potential one-loss non champion Bama, despite a meh resume.

The problem is I don't think the committee will take a conference non-champ over a conference champ short of them being overwhelmingly better in terms of resume.  It had the possibility of happening this year.  If Alabama and Georgia go undefeated into the SEC Championship, someone has to lose so the loser wouldn't necessarily be eliminated in that scenario.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

I was saying IF both teams had gone into the SEC Championship undefeated...we were talking about hypotheticals here.

Gotcha. The usage of the word/phrase go undefeated, as well as the phrase "someone has to lose" present tense, was confusing. 

Archived