Browns trade Baker Mayfield to Carolina for conditional 2024 5th

Forge

9 minutes ago, JohnChimpo said:

And Josh Allen is a top 5 QB. What a crazy QB class.

I thought Allen, Darnold, and Rosen would be spectacular busts, honestly. Was right on two but not the other, lol.

Baker is about what I expected (not counting his injured previous season against him). Jackson was my favorite QB in that class (but not by much), although I thought he'd be a better passer (not as good as enigma 2019 season, but definitely better than last season).

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Brissett got shut out with a SB winning team against an opponent that the real starter blew out later in the season.

Every team Brissett started for besides Miami were extremely talented and considered serious playoff contenders with their prior QB and Brissett never finished with an above .500 in any year he started with them. 

Wow, its not like that was his first career start or anything.

Brissette in Indy 2019 was a bit like Wentz 2021 Indy. He had a nice TD to INT ratio but he could not get them to the playoffs. 7-9 vs 9-8. Its not a huge difference. This guy is a capable bottom tier starter who is only going on start number 38. He won't be a top 12 QB but Baker never was either.

Brissette is an upgrade on the joke that was Baker 2021. How noble to suck while playing through injuries with Keenum ready to go on the bench. Maybe make a Disney movie about it? How about a Progressive commercial? They can call it 4 picks on Sunday.

The every team he joined were contenders the year before bit is classic:

• Tom Brady as in the GoaT
    • Take a look at the 2003 Patriots. Brady crushed the Bills 31-0 and some other chump lost 31-0 to the Bills..
      • Oh, that was also Brady
  • 1st overall pick who did not suck Andrew Luck.
    • The 2016 Colts were 8-8
    • The 2018 Colts were 10-6 but Luck had a bizarre retirement in 2019
      • Dude retired in the middle of preseason, throwing Brissette to the wolves for career starts 18-33
  • The 2020 Dolphins were 15/22 on offense and Fitz was 4-3 for them. Brissette was 2-3 last year.
    • Last years Dolphins were 22/25 on offense. Tua did not exactly light it up.

Tua got crushed by the Bills 2x and Titans last year but look at the rest of the teams he faced.

Jets x2, Jags (loss), Falcons (loss), Giants, Panthers, Patriots x2

Brissette lost to the Colts, Bucs, and Raiders. (yes he had an ugly 2 pick win vs Houston)

Parker missed 3 of Brissettes 5 starts. Fuller pretty much missed the entire year. Look at the rest of those targets. People were raving about a rookie WR who was discount 1995 Larry Centers The top 4 Dolphins 2021 targets were 89th, 99th, 97th, and 164th in yards per target.

Were the 2021 Dolphins a good team or just a slightly better Falcons with an easier schedule?

They don't need him to be Tom Brady. They need him to be Case Keenum 12x out of 17.

7 minutes ago, JohnChimpo said:
16 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Add in how Josh Rosen has been out of the league for the past two seasons and Lamar Jackson has a league MVP...

And Josh Allen is a top 5 QB. What a crazy QB class.

It was getting a "best class in last 10 years" designation, it’s incredible how unpredictable this class ended up.

Rosen and Darnold were the "Pro Ready" guys, Allen and Jackson were the athletic projects, Mayfield was the chip on his shoulder underdog who "set the tone" in the locker room - it’s REALLY odd how this one turned out.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ET80 said:

It was getting a "best class in last 10 years" designation, it’s incredible how unpredictable this class ended up.

Rosen and Darnold were the "Pro Ready" guys, Allen and Jackson were the athletic projects, Mayfield was the chip on his shoulder underdog who "set the tone" in the locker room - it’s REALLY odd how this one turned out.

Rosen had personality concerns - there were murmurs that basically no one at UCLA liked him. Darnold has small hands and was under the "lol, USC QBs always bust" trope (him being selected by the Jets was icing on the cake, as they apparently didn't learn this already from Sanchez).

2 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

• Dude retired in the middle of preseason, throwing Brissette to the wolves for career starts 18-33

Brissette going to start getting all reps moving forward or is Watson getting them until an NFL decision is made?

1 hour ago, EvilenFroggen said:

Don’t forget the ORGANIZATION ITSELF

Some stuff got leaked about them thinking he's immature.  A lot of people thought that outside of the organization as well.

They went out at took a gamble on getting a quarterback that is universally recognized as being much better than him.  They must have thought that Baker wasn't good enough to take them to the Super Bowl, something that a lot of people outside of the organization had been yelling from the mountain tops as well.

Because we sucked for a decade we should appreciate Baker, what is that supposed to look like?  Giving him a contract extension and never getting over hill?  We should be happy to be mediocre because we sucked?  We rolled the dice on a better QB, now he refuses to play for the team at all.

Oh and we actually traded him before the season started for less value than we probably could have gotten from him at the deadline, probably a favor to him because he wanted out so bad.

I would have rather kept him than tied ourselves to Watson but you guys are ridiculous. 

The Browns and a ton of our fans believed in Baker longer than most people did, but now we are horrible for moving on from him.  Without pointing at who we traded for to replace him it makes no sense at all how anybody is reacting to this.  If Watson wasn't dealing with 24 allegations Baker would and should be getting lampooned for being a child.  I'm sure his attitude and lack of self awareness is a big reason we had to pay somebody $10 million to get a 5th round pick for him. 

You can hate the Browns for trading for Watson without making Baker out to be the victim of anything. The NFL is business and the Browns had plenty of reason to move on. 

Edited by Rod Johnson
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Rod Johnson said:

The Browns and a ton of our fans believed in Baker longer than most people did, but now we are horrible for moving on from him.  Without pointing at who we traded for to replace him it makes no sense at all how anybody is reacting to this.  If Watson wasn't dealing with 24 allegations Baker would and should be getting lampooned for being a child.  I'm sure his attitude and lack of self awareness is a big reason we had to pay somebody $10 million to get a 5th round pick for him. 

You can hate the Browns for trading for Watson without making Baker out to be the victim of anything. The NFL is business and the Browns had plenty of reason to move on. 

You are right. I don’t hate the Browns, but I would never have traded all that for Watson. Moving on from Baker is separate. I would have only kept him if he costed less than 20M/yr for the future.

9 minutes ago, Rod Johnson said:

But he is dealing with those allegations, the Browns knew it, and they traded the farm for him anyway. A team can and should do whatever they can to make themselves better, but this leaked PR offensive to try and paint Baker in a negative light is rubbish.

You say you’ve sucked for a decade. Man, except for that one wacky Derek Anderson year, you’ve sucked my entire adult life. Why couldn’t they just handle this with a little bit of class?

13 minutes ago, EvilenFroggen said:

But he is dealing with those allegations, the Browns knew it, and they traded the farm for him anyway. A team can and should do whatever they can to make themselves better, but this leaked PR offensive to try and paint Baker in a negative light is rubbish.

You say you’ve sucked for a decade. Man, except for that one wacky Derek Anderson year, you’ve sucked my entire adult life. Why couldn’t they just handle this with a little bit of class?

They didn't need to leak PR to paint him in negative light, Baker being immature has been a narrative for 5 years now.  Baker has had a negative spotlight on him for a while now.

What did they do to Baker that was unclassy?  They found a better QB, albeit with off the field issues, they went with that.

1 minute ago, Rod Johnson said:

They didn't need to leak PR to paint him in negative light, Baker being immature has been a narrative for 5 years now.  Baker has had a negative spotlight on him for a while now.

What did they do to Baker that was unclassy?  They found a better QB, albeit with off the field issues, they went with that.

You answered your second paragraph with your first. You say they didn’t need to, but they did anyway. 

3 minutes ago, EvilenFroggen said:

You answered your second paragraph with your first. You say they didn’t need to, but they did anyway. 

I'm pretty sure tons of analysts and fans in the league felt like the needed to move on from Baker.  That was being said practically daily on sportscenter.  That was common thought.

There's nothing the Browns did towards Baker specifically that was unclassy.  They actually took it on the chin and shipped him someplace for horrible value rather than force him to rot on the bench until the deadline.  That's after he partly tanked his own value by refusing to play for us.