Contender, Pretender or Maybe

AnAngryAmerican

This might be better in NFL General but those posts get hijacked so often so I’ll just post it here.

But I’m bored and they were doing this on The Fan yesterday so here goes. For each of the 32 teams, are they legitimate Super Bowl contenders, yes, no or maybe. 

Here are mine. 

DAL - maybe

NYG - no

PHI - maybe

WSH - no

CHI - no

DET - no

GB - yes

MIN - maybe

ATL - no

CAR - no

NO - no

TB - yes

ARZ - maybe

LAR - yes

SEA - no

SF - yes

BUF - yes

MIA - no

NE - maybe

NYJ - no 

BAL - yes

CIN - yes

CLE - no

PIT - no

HOU - no

IND - yes

JAX - no

TEN - maybe

DEN - maybe

KC - yes

LAC - yes

LV - no

Let the debate commence! 

On 7/6/2022 at 1:15 PM, AnAngryAmerican said:

This might be better in NFL General but those posts get hijacked so often so I’ll just post it here.

But I’m bored and they were doing this on The Fan yesterday so here goes. For each of the 32 teams, are they legitimate Super Bowl contenders, yes, no or maybe. 

Here are mine. 

DAL - maybe 

NYG - no

PHI - maybe

WSH - no

CHI - no

DET - no

GB - yes

MIN - maybe

ATL - no

CAR - no

NO - no

TB - yes

ARZ - maybe

LAR - yes

SEA - no

SF - yes

BUF - yes

MIA - no

NE - maybe

NYJ - no 

BAL - yes

CIN - yes

CLE - no

PIT - no

HOU - no

IND - yes

JAX - no

TEN - maybe

DEN - maybe

KC - yes

LAC - yes

LV - no

Let the debate commence! 

DAL - Maybe

NYG - No

PHI - No

WAS - No

CHI - No

GB - Maybe

DET - No

MIN - No

ATL - No

CAR - No

NO - No

TB - Yes

ARZ - No

SEA - No

LAR - Yes

SF - No

I feel like the NFC is relatively weak outside of the Rams and Tampa.  Barring injuries to key spots I expect these two teams to play for the NFC championship.  The Packers lost too much to really compete at the level they were at.  The Cowboys got a maybe , but they seem to always lack the it factor.  

BUF - Yes

MIA - No

NYJ - No

NE - No

CIN- Yes

CLE - No

BAL - Maybe

PIT - No

HOU - No

IND - Maybe

JAX - No

TEN - Maybe

DEN - Maybe

KC - Yes

LV - Yes

LAC - Yes

The AFC is really loaded with good to great teams.  The West division has been talked about a lot but the other divisions have plenty of depth and talent as well.  

Edited by Winder23

I'll quibble with you @Winder23 on the Raiders being a yes. I don't think they're even a maybe. 

One, there's the McDaniels factor. Just the other day he was out lying to the media again, saying "we're not going to do things the Patriots way, we're going to do things the Raiders way," yet, like all Belichick castoffs who take over a franchise, he brought in a number of players who either played in New England or for a team who recently went the New England way - Detroit, Tennessee, Houston, played college at Alabama, etc. - and, even more so, he and Ziegler cleaned house in their front office, bringing in a ton of guys who are loyal to them. 

There's also the Mark David factor. Enough said. 

Derek Carr is a nice QB, and I do genuinely like him as a person, he is not a Super Bowl QB. 

Davante Adams is a very good WR but I'm not sure if he's an elite WR who put up All Pro numbers without Aaron Rodgers. 

There's also the fact that most of the guys who are left on the Raiders roster and Adams who was brought it, have played almost exclusively in the WCO system. Mca is going to bring in the Mac system and we all know how well that system has worked when it's been tried without Tom Brady as the QB. 

I don't think the Raiders even finish with a winning record this year. 

• Like 1

Here's mine:

Here are mine. 

DAL - no

NYG - no

PHI - no

WSH - no

CHI - no

DET - no

GB - maybe

MIN - maybe

ATL - no

CAR - no

NO - no

TB - yes

ARZ - maybe

LAR - yes

SEA - no

SF - maybe

BUF - yes

MIA - no

NE - no

NYJ - no 

BAL - yes

CIN - yes

CLE - no

PIT - no

HOU - no

IND - no

JAX - no

TEN - maybe

DEN - maybe

KC - yes

LAC - maybe

LV - no

I don't have a ton of maybes because I think there's a fairly clear cut group of teams that are contenders. I moved GB to the maybe page, because despite having Rodgers, they just lost their offensive coaching staff and top WR, and I think it's fair to expect a slip. I also moved SF to maybe because I have no clue what Trey Lance will be. I moved LAC to a maybe because they need to make the playoffs in general before I consider them SB ready. Dropped NE to a no because without McDaniels I think the offense may suffer a bit. Dropped the Colts to a no. I don't think they're good enough to contend even though they're a fairly safe bet to be a playoff team or contender. Eagles for me are a no. I want Denver to be a yes, but similar to LAC, we need to make the playoffs before I get ahead of myself.

I'll take a shot and see how this turns out.

DAL - Yes

NYG - no

PHI - no

WSH - no

CHI - no

DET - no

GB - Maybe (Depends how the receiving corps adjusts to life without DA)

MIN - Maybe (If they can get hot in the playoffs, they have the talent)

ATL - no

CAR - no

NO - no

TB - Yes

ARZ - Maybe (If Murray can take another step)

LAR - Yes

SEA - no

SF - Maybe (If Lance is an improvement over prime Jimmy)

BUF - Yes

MIA - no

NE - No 

NYJ - no 

BAL - Yes

CIN - Yes

CLE - no

PIT - no

HOU - no

IND - Maybe (If Ryan is rejuvenated)

JAX - no

TEN - Maybe (If they get hot in the playoffs, specifically Tannehill)

DEN - Maybe (If both lines of scrimmage are improved and if the offense integrates well together)

KC - Yes

LAC - Yes

LV - No

8 Contenders

7 Maybe

17 Nope 

@AnAngryAmericanand others are sleeping on the Raiders. They have a great offense. They have everything needed to succeed. A good RB in Jacobs. Waller is a great TE. Adams and Renfrow are studs at WR and the line will be better I think. Carr is a top ten QB. The stats and eye test prove it. 

The defense is better too. The edge rushers are both dominant. Crosby was a revelation last season. Chandler Jones is still getting it done too. The secondary still needs more work, so they do have a soft spot for sure. 

As for McDaniels, that was a long time ago. He is a good football mind who should have never been given such a long leash here in Denver. I personally still hate him and always will, but I still think they will be real good together. 

Edited by Winder23

5 hours ago, Winder23 said:

@AnAngryAmericanand others are sleeping on the Raiders. They have a great offense. They have everything needed to succeed. A good RB in Jacobs. Waller is a great TE. Adams and Renfrow are studs at WR and the line will be better I think. Carr is a top ten QB. The stats and eye test prove it. 

The defense is better too. The edge rushers are both dominant. Crosby was a revelation last season. Chandler Jones is still getting it done too. The secondary still needs more work, so they do have a soft spot for sure. 

As for McDaniels, that was a long time ago. He is a good football mind who should have never been given such a long leash here in Denver. I personally still hate him and always will, but I still think they will be real good together. 

Since this is a safe space and I wont get jumped on by 30 Raiders fans......I have major question marks with the Raiders. Derek Carr has been up and down his entire career. Almost on a yearly basis its a different version. He plays incredibly average and then the next year he plays like a obvious franchise QB and because of that, I cant trust to pick the Raiders as a trendy team.

Also, one thing I cant get over is thinking that their last year was a fluke. Fluke in the sense that they overachieved because of all of the turmoil. Its almost like they had nothing to lose and gained a extra boost because of all of the Gruden drama being gone. I dont think they are going to have that extra pep in their step on their side now that they are being picked as being a playoff team by most.

I think their offense will be fine--but they eaaaaassily have the worst defense in the division on paper. In this division with Herbert/Mahomes/Wilson--you cant have your weakest link be your secondary. They added Chandler Jones which is a nice pairing but teams, especially in division are going to be able to shred their secondary and win games that way. 

I just think they have the most question marks compared to the other 3 teams in the division, particularly stemming from the defensive side for me to be able to pick them to come out of this slaughterfest of a division.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 7/11/2022 at 11:44 PM, AkronsWitness said:

Since this is a safe space and I wont get jumped on by 30 Raiders fans......I have major question marks with the Raiders. Derek Carr has been up and down his entire career. Almost on a yearly basis its a different version. He plays incredibly average and then the next year he plays like a obvious franchise QB and because of that, I cant trust to pick the Raiders as a trendy team.

Also, one thing I cant get over is thinking that their last year was a fluke. Fluke in the sense that they overachieved because of all of the turmoil. Its almost like they had nothing to lose and gained a extra boost because of all of the Gruden drama being gone. I dont think they are going to have that extra pep in their step on their side now that they are being picked as being a playoff team by most.

I think their offense will be fine--but they eaaaaassily have the worst defense in the division on paper. In this division with Herbert/Mahomes/Wilson--you cant have your weakest link be your secondary. They added Chandler Jones which is a nice pairing but teams, especially in division are going to be able to shred their secondary and win games that way. 

I just think they have the most question marks compared to the other 3 teams in the division, particularly stemming from the defensive side for me to be able to pick them to come out of this slaughterfest of a division.

BUMP

7 hours ago, broncos67 said:

I was extremely wrong about the Eagles and Giants. As luck would have it, I am also surrounded by those fans based on where I live. This is one of the circles of hell.

With the Eagles I agree with you. I’m still not sold on the Giants, Saquon is healthy and it seems like a lot of their players are over-performing at the moment. Not sure they have the staying power. I sure was wrong about GB and TB, they both look totally disheveled.