The Good and the Bad.. What will you remember Baker Mayfield for most?

brownie man

I told y’all he wasn’t it, but he did play a role in the future success we will have as a team. This is what what I will remember Baker for most. 

Good: Ill remember Baker most fondly for his games against Cincinnati. He legit balled out against Cinci consistently. That 5 TD rookie year was unreal and then the pass to DPJ to win the game in 2020 was the best pass I’ve ever seen a Browns QB make. If he could play like that consistently he’d truly be a franchise QB. 

Bad: The lack of maturity. When he didn’t talk to the media after the Lions game he lost what little support I had for him. He has too much ego without the talent to back it up. I hope he grows out of it, but him not talking to the media after a win because he got an attitude and then getting on the media the next day saying how he doesn’t owe them anything was childish and you’re not going to lead a locker room with that type of attitude. 

Final Verdict: I do believe Baker can win a Super Bowl with the right supporting cast. I think he may eventually make a pro bowl. I do not think he’ll ever been a top 12 qb consistently, but I do think he will help Carolina compete this year. I just hope he’s humbled and goes to Carolina with a constructive attitude. 

What are your final thoughts on Baker?

• Like 2

Fundamentally flawed QB, buoyed by moxie and arm talent. Great arm, great accuracy, great attitude at times, tough. Cant handle pressure, can't navigate the pocket, lacks commitment to for someone with the flaws he has. If he had another 2 inches of height for a higher point of delivery and better ability to see over the line I think we are talking about a different player. 

He arrived into NFL stardom before he got through wins. 

could have been great but made other choices. 

• Like 2

He opened my eyes on the Browns fan base. We are way more toxic than I realized. I honestly thought we were top 5 as far as NFL fans prior to Baker (and winning) but have quickly realized we are bottom 5 and that sucks. 

I don't know why you are always trying to point out that you are right about everything brownie. You obviously aren't and I'm guessing you need a little boost to your self esteem and this is your attempt to get it but no one respects the guy who tells you I told you so when 1 out of his 10 predictions are correct.

• Like 6

Good: He brought hope, fight, and a winning attitude to a team that had seen little of that from his position since 1999

Bad: Inaccuracy and inconsistency. People complain about his attitude and brashness etc, but if he had Rogers or Brady's winning %, they'd have talked about that differently.

Grateful that he came in and helped right the ship, put pride back in the orange and brown...and that he's not a pervy creep.

He won us a playoff game. He deserves to be appreciated for that.

I felt from day 1 his ceiling was average and you would need a superstar team to win a super bowl with him at QB. Would it be possible? Yes, because I’ve seen worse QBs win rings.

I think we screwed him by trading him to Carolina. I really wish Seattle could have worked something out.

• Like 1

Good: His rookie year and the PIT playoff game

Bad: The immature back and forth with local media/all media all the time. Nearly all of his press conferences were cringeworthy. Him sailing passes high for overthrows or interceptions on a regular basis. Missing wide open WRs because he cant read the whole field.

• Like 1

Good: Jets win, playoff win, beating Pitt to get in the playoffs, most wins for a QB at the factory of sadness, the throw to DPJ vs the Bengals, running to Chubb on a 80 yard td run, bragging about said handoff on the sideline, giving this team hope, being good enough to get Hugh fired but also being good enough to get Freddy hired, rookie TD record, being a bit too cocky

Bad: the int’s and sacks when they couldn’t happen, miss reads on wide open plays, caring about the media a bit to much 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

He won us a playoff game. He deserves to be appreciated for that.

I felt from day 1 his ceiling was average and you would need a superstar team to win a super bowl with him at QB. Would it be possible? Yes, because I’ve seen worse QBs win rings.

I think we screwed him by trading him to Carolina. I really wish Seattle could have worked something out.

Yeah he won a playoff game with a below average receiving core and a bottom 10 defense so obviously give him a good D and weapons and things would be better. Always had a good run game though.

Good:  Rookie year Game against the Jets.  He looked like the Man.  I thought our QB troubles were solved for the next decade.  The 2020 Cincinnati come back win and the PIT playoff game.  

The Good version of "THE BROWNS IS THE BROWNS!"😉

Bad: Baker not managing the political aspects of being a QB better.  I thought he was going to be really good at this part of the job and never imagined that he would lose part of the locker room. I also did not see enough growth in reading defenses to have confidence that he can learn to do it at a high level so that he can consistently perform at high level. That 1 Read QB label may have more truth to it than I would like.  (I grew up during the Bernie years, so I'm spoiled but I think a QB needs to read defenses at a high level especially if he isn't the greatest athlete.)  

He is a unique player who, love him or hate him, was very entertaining for the Browns.  I think of him as a lesser version of Bernie and Brian Sipe.  We Cleveland fans seem to fall in love with physically challenged QBs who show something.   I enjoyed his time in Cleveland, but I'm fine with moving on to what I hope will be a better QB.  I wish him all the best except in week one against the Browns.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, JDD said:

Good: Jets win, playoff win, beating Pitt to get in the playoffs, most wins for a QB at the factory of sadness, the throw to DPJ vs the Bengals, running to Chubb on a 80 yard td run, bragging about said handoff on the sideline, giving this team hope, being good enough to get Hugh fired but also being good enough to get Freddy hired, rookie TD record, being a bit too cocky

Bad: the int’s and sacks when they couldn’t happen, miss reads on wide open plays, caring about the media a bit to much 

This about sums it up for me.

Much more good than bad.  Best QB we’ve had in 35 years, even if that’s a low bar.

• Like 2

I will remember him up to this point at least for being the best we’ve had since ‘99. A bit ego driven, which doesn’t always have to be a bad thing. In his case, I think there’s fault to go around, but the hope for that next step kind of bottomed out, and he flatlined as an average quarterback without the upside to take this team to the next level. I don’t have hard feelings with the guy, I wish it worked better here then it did. Much rather it work with him then our current option. As much as it would sting it would also be fun to see him take that next step in Carolina. 

• Like 1