The Good and the Bad.. What will you remember Baker Mayfield for most?

brownie man

I also don’t like stuff that “leaked” about Baker on his way out. Now, there’s a strong chance a lot of it was made up for clicks. I hope that was the case.

There’s the option of:

1. You don’t have to bash Baker the person. He genuinely tried and competed. I don’t believe the crap about the team not liking him personally. Is there a chance guys were frustrated by his play? I can absolutely buy that.

2. You don’t have to like his skill set and potential. He is very limited and I will argue this all day with people.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, malibuspeedrace said:

I will remember him as the best QB we have had since the return

the bad

i will remember how trash our fan base really is

I actually thought Baker kind of continued the alienation I felt against a portion of our fanbase that started in the Manziel years.  I looked at those abusive alcoholic Browns fans of my dad's generation with respect and dignity.  The new age ones seem fratty and bandwagoners.

Edited by Rod Johnson

2 minutes ago, Rod Johnson said:

I actually thought Baker kind of continued the alienation I felt against a portion of our fanbase that started in the Manziel years.  I looked at those abusive alcoholic Browns fans of my dad's generation with respect and dignity.  The new a ones seem fratty and bandwagoners.

Ah yes, the bandwagon fans of the Manziel glory days…

• Like 1

As far as the good I’ll always remember the Thursday night game against the jets and win against the Steelers 

The bad, his stans. People on this board and people on Twitter who constantly made excuses for his mediocrity drove me crazy. The play calling, WRs, defense etc… it was always someone else’s fault why he came up short 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BrownsDog23 said:

The bad, his stans. People on this board and people on Twitter who constantly made excuses for his mediocrity drove me crazy. The play calling, WRs, defense etc… it was always someone else’s fault why he came up short 

You can honestly tell which fans have zero clue about the rest of the NFL.

You can’t have great players at literally every position. There’s a thing called a salary cap. There’s not enough voodoo  in the world to have pro bowlers at every single position. If you somehow manage to have good to great starters everywhere, your depth is probably trash.

It’s like with Aaron Rodgers. When he had great weapons around him at WR and TE it was “well their defense sucks and they have no run game.” Now he has a great run game and great defense, but now it’s “he has no WRs.”

Edited by candyman93
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, candyman93 said:

You can honestly tell which fans have zero clue about the rest of the NFL.

You can’t have great players at literally every position. There’s a thing called a salary cap. There’s not enough voodoo  in the world to have pro bowlers at every single position. If you somehow manage to have good to great starters everywhere, your depth is probably trash.

It’s like with Aaron Rodgers. When he had great weapons around him at WR and TE it was “well their defense sucks and they have no run game.” Now he has a great run game and great defense, but now it’s “he has no WRs.”

I was probably guilty of making excuses for him over the years, but I don't think Baker is a usual case of mediocrity.  He's a guy that at the same time seems capable of QBing an elite offense if everything is humming, but also is one of the worst QBs in league of it's not.  He's a ceiling raiser but not a floor raiser I guess.

I think that made it easier to make excuses for him when the offense is bad.  Truth is a good QB isn't going to play you out of games as often as Baker did.

The highest to me was the 21' opening game vs KC. He was carrying that late 2020 surge into the new season and we looked like legit championship contenders for most of the game ...until that game ending int.

The lowest was that shovel pass int directly into the DL's hands. More than any other bad play it drove home how much Baker just predetermines and runs the play without actually seeing what's going on.

• Like 2