D82's Way Too Early (Or Is It?) Mock Off-Season

19-teryl-austin.jpg

Dallas finishes the year 8-8. Stephen, Jerry and Will McClay elect to part ways with Jason Garrett and offensive coordinator Scott Linehan. Rod Marinelli elects to retire. 

Together with Will McClay, the front office makes the decision to hire current Detroit Lions defensive coordinator, Teryl Austin, as the next head coach of the Dallas Cowboys.

2018 COACHING STAFF

Head Coach: Teryl Austin
Assistant HC/Offensive Coordinator: Ron Prince

Quarterbacks: Scott Loeffler
Running Backs: Maurice Carthon
Wide Receivers: Erik Campbell
Tight Ends: George Godsey
Offensive Line: Todd Washington
Assistant Offensive Line: Marc Colombo

Defensive Coordinator: Kris Kocurek 
Defensive Line: Matt Raich
Linebackers: Lofa Tatupu 
Secondary: Alan Williams

Special Teams: Devin Fitzsimmons 

PRE-FREE AGENCY

Dallas enters the 2018 off-season with $27.71MM in cap space after rolling over its remaining amount from 2017. The team elects to place the franchise tag on DeMarcus Lawrence and places a 1st-round RFA tender on David Irving. 

The team trades Terrence Williams to San Francisco in exchange for a 5th round pick and restructures the contract of Tyron Smith to free up more cap space. To clear more room, the following players are released/not re-signed:

- Zac Dysert, QB
- Kellen Moore, QB
- Darren McFadden, RB
- Alfred Morris, RB
- Keith Smith, FB
- Brice Butler, WR
- Jeff Hanna, TE
- Blake Jarwin, TE
- Byron Bell, OT
- Chaz Green, OT
- Joe Looney, C
- Benson Mayowa, DE
- Richard Ash, DT
- Brian Price, DT
- Kyle Wilber, OLB
- Justin Durant, MLB
- Bene Benwikere, CB
- Orlando Scandrick, CB
- Jeff Heath, SS
- Jameill Showers, FS
- Mike Nugent, K

The following players are re-signed:
- Jonathan Cooper, OG
- Anthony Hitchens, MLB
- L.P. Ladouceur, LS

The team extends Zack Martin, giving him an additional 5 years on his current contract. The deal is worth $76.88MM with $33.7MM in guaranteed monies as well as a $14.55MM signing bonus, and a $525,000 roster bonus if he is on the active roster for the final two years of said contract.

Following these moves, Dallas moves into free agency with $25.36MM in available cap space 

FREE AGENCY

The Cowboys "big" name signings include the likes of veteran defensive tackle Haloti Ngata and safety Tavon Wilson. The remaining players include:

- Chase Daniel, QB
- Mike James, RB
- Greg Robinson, OT
- Luke Bowanko, C
- Quinton Dial, DT
- Nevin Lawson, CB

2018 NFL DRAFT

1st Round: Rashaan Evans OLB, Alabama
2nd Round: Anthony Miller WR, Memphis
3rd Round: Dallas Goedert TE, South Dakota State
4th Round: Joshua Frazier DT, Alabama
4th Round (comp): Akrum Wadley RB, Iowa
5th Round (via SF via NYJ): Priest Willis CB, Texas A&M
5th Round (comp): Trevor Darling OG, Miami
5th Round (comp): Skai Moore OLB, South Carolina
6th Round: Davontae Harris CB, Illinois State
6th Round (comp): Charles Omenihu DE, Texas
7th Round: Khalid Hill FB, Michigan 

2018 DALLAS COWBOYS ROSTER
(following cuts, final 53 man roster)

QB: Dak Prescott | Cooper Rush
RB: Ezekiel Elliott | Rod Smith | Akrum Wadley | Mike James 
FB: Khalid Hill
WR: Dez Bryant | Anthony Miller | Cole Beasley | Ryan Switzer | Noah Brown
TE: Jason Witten | Dallas Goedert | Geoff Swaim 
OT: Tyron Smith | La'el Collins | Greg Robinson
OG: Jonathan Cooper | Zack Martin | Trevor Darling
C: Travis Frederick | Luke Bowanko 

LDE: DeMarcus Lawrence | Taco Charlton 
1T: Maliek Collins | Haloti NgataJoshua Frazier 
3T: David Irving | Tyrone Crawford | Quinton Dial 
RDE: Charles Tapper | Lewis Neal | Charles Omenihu 
SLB: Rashaan Evans | Randy Gregory
MLB: Anthony Hitchens | Jaylon Smith 
WLB: Sean Lee | Damien Wilson | Skai Moore 
CB: Chidobe Awuzie | Anthony Brown | Davontae Harris
FS: Byron Jones | Kavon Frazier 
SS: Tavon Wilson | Xavier Woods 
CB: Jourdan Lewis | Priest Willis 

K: Dan Bailey 
P: Chris Jones
LS: L.P. Ladouceur

22 minutes ago, flyingmonkey30 said:

Don't know much about these coaches, but I do know I'd like to see Eberflus get a serious look as a DC. His experience in a variety of defenses should help him craft a fun scheme.

With Austin being a (in this scenario) former defensive coordinator, not sure I'd see him retaining Eberflus. He'd likely want to bring in guys familiar with his scheme. 

13 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

I'd want Rich Bisaccia  gone.

I'd gladly edit if you can think of someone better. Just couldn't really find someone with connections to Austin who I'd view as an improvement. 

6 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

Really think 8-8 gets JG fired? I can see a coaching staff shake up (Marinelli/mid lvl assts), but not another overhaul.

I could see it. Another .500 season, I could see Jerry look at moving on. 

58 minutes ago, Desperado82 said:

No thoughts on roster/FA signings/draft?

If Dallas lets Hitch walk someone needs smacked. Crawford gets another year and he's played pretty well this year. Don't think Dallas saves that much $ by cutting him either.  Ngata would have to be cheap. He's well into the wrong side of 30. Not a fan of bringing in Robinson at all. 

I think we should also start paying closer attention to Witten. I don't think he's around after the season. 

Draft is good, but think DE probably needs to be in the mix in rds 1-4. Swing OT. 

4 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

If Dallas lets Hitch walk someone needs smacked. Crawford gets another year and he's played pretty well this year. Don't think Dallas saves that much $ by cutting him either.  Ngata would have to be cheap. He's well into the wrong side of 30. Not a fan of bringing in Robinson at all. 

I think we should also start paying closer attention to Witten. I don't think he's around after the season. 

Draft is good, but think DE probably needs to be in the mix in rds 1-4. Swing OT. 

I forgot about Hitch. We save $1.8MM by cutting Crawford, could make the argument he's worth keeping around but I elected to let him go. Ngata would likely come cheap to follow Austin to Dallas. Robinson has potential...and we've seen other OL busts come here and turn themselves around (Colombo, Cooper). He'd likely come cheap, so don't see why it would hurt to extend him a contract as a swing OT. 

Have us drafting Goedert in the 3rd round. Check him out, he's an exciting player. 

6 minutes ago, Desperado82 said:

I forgot about Hitch. We save $1.8MM by cutting Crawford, could make the argument he's worth keeping around but I elected to let him go. Ngata would likely come cheap to follow Austin to Dallas. Robinson has potential...and we've seen other OL busts come here and turn themselves around (Colombo, Cooper). He'd likely come cheap, so don't see why it would hurt to extend him a contract as a swing OT. 

Have us drafting Goedert in the 3rd round. Check him out, he's an exciting player. 

Crawford carries over $7m in dead money. Think that is probably too high a number just to save $1.8. Might do well under new scheme and versatile enough to play inside and out. 

That said, I get most, myself included are ready to move on. 

2 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

Crawford carries over $7m in dead money. Think that is probably too high a number just to save $1.8. Might do well under new scheme and versatile enough to play inside and out. 

That said, I get most, myself included are ready to move on. 

Made some minute changes. Included Hitchens and went ahead and threw Crawford back in there.