week 11 Game Day Thread Steelers vs. Titans TNF

Steeler Hitman

10 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

We SHOULD win this game IMO, but that means nothing.

Obviously Tennessee isnt a bad team, but we are both operating on short weeks and we are at home.    Mariota is probably the 2nd best QB we have faced this year, so it could be a challenge.

If we lose, its really not a big deal from a standings perspective, but depending HOW we lose, it could be very troublesome.   If the offense still flutters most of the game and our secondary looks lost without Haden, I will definitely have concerns....not so much in our chances of making the playoffs, but our chances of getting a first round bye.   

not even close.   Stafford, Smith,  hell even Keenum and Bortles are playing better than he is.

Not really game related, but week related. Didnt want to make its own thread, but honestly probably could. 

If Ben retires my idea scenario is Alex Smith is available for a decent price and we draft a future successor....but Tyrod Taylor might be an intriguing plan B. Essentially a similar asset as Smith. Run ability, decent arm, does not turn the ball over. His biggest issue is that he doesn't take a lot of chances, but without Ben I would rather be a run first team and hand the keys to someone like that. 

5 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Not really game related, but week related. Didnt want to make its own thread, but honestly probably could. 

If Ben retires my idea scenario is Alex Smith is available for a decent price and we draft a future successor....but Tyrod Taylor might be an intriguing plan B. Essentially a similar asset as Smith. Run ability, decent arm, does not turn the ball over. His biggest issue is that he doesn't take a lot of chances, but without Ben I would rather be a run first team and hand the keys to someone like that. 

And the way the FO in Buffalo have handled TyGod we could probably get him on the cheap. 

15 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

We SHOULD win this game IMO, but that means nothing.

Obviously Tennessee isnt a bad team, but we are both operating on short weeks and we are at home.    Mariota is probably the 2nd best QB we have faced this year, so it could be a challenge.

If we lose, its really not a big deal from a standings perspective, but depending HOW we lose, it could be very troublesome.   If the offense still flutters most of the game and our secondary looks lost without Haden, I will definitely have concerns....not so much in our chances of making the playoffs, but our chances of getting a first round bye.   

It actually could be a big deal in the standings. Assuming New England has one of the byes locked up because life is unfair and they always do, we would then be ahead of you in the race for the other bye. Might not know it by how no one is talking about us, but we're 6-3 and only 1 game back of you guys in the race for the #2 seed. Win this game and we own the head to head(though I think by tiebreakers KC is actually the number 2 seed in a 3 way tie between us? I'm not entirely sure) and thus are seeded higher. Obviously that only means so much when you still have 6 weeks left in the season after today, but I would say this game is pretty important if Pittsburgh wants the 2 seed.  Our schedule is pretty weak down the stretch. Indy, Houston, Arizona, SF, LA Rams, Jacksonville in that order. That's 4 games we SHOULD win(that certainly isn't a guarantee that we will), 1 game that we probably lose against LA(though it's in Tennessee) and a toss up game vs Jacksonville. So we could possibly be sitting at 11-5/12-4 to end the year. I think this game is a bigger deal for Pittsburgh because this could be your last superbowl push with Ben. The Titans aren't a team ready to compete for a superbowl yet, we're still a couple pieces away from that. Our goal is really just to get to the playoffs this year, regardless of whether we do much there or not.

5 hours ago, SlevinKelevra said:

not even close.   Stafford, Smith,  hell even Keenum and Bortles are playing better than he is.

Would be wise to actually watch Mariota play and not rely on box scores. Stafford and Smith have arguments to be ahead of him certainly. Mariota is unquestionably better than Keenum and Bortles, though.

15 hours ago, JDLefebvre said:

See it going 2 ways... 

1. We come out on FIRE at home in PrimeTime and blow them out with Ben having his best game of the year....

2.  We play terrible, keep it close but Titans end up with a late surge like Jville did and win by double digits.   

I'm betting on the 1st one.

My friend I apologize for the delay.  I got tied up with some other things, but the hotties are finally up.

And @Steeler Hitman ... it's been 12 hrs since you last edited your GDT and no hotties!?!?!?!?!?!,!&÷€#73€#€#7×€!%÷

:(

3 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

Would be wise to actually watch Mariota play and not rely on box scores. Stafford and Smith have arguments to be ahead of him certainly. Mariota is unquestionably better than Keenum and Bortles, though.

i think deep down he is better.  this year though  he's been outplayed by both,  not using box scores, using DVOA

First off, wouldnt put too much stock into much that particular poster says.  Just a heads up.

Secondly, Keenum is getting overlooked.    I am more worried about Mariota than I was about Keenum, but Keenum has been getting better every week.     Would still consider Mariota better, and Keenum obviously didnt play that well vs us (although we had SOMETHING to do with that), but as of week 10, he sure isnt playing WORSE than Mariota.

Bortles....haha, yeah, no one with a clue would ever say he is better than Mariota.   

But to be perfectly honest, in general, Mariota doesnt particularly worry me.    I think he is the 2nd best but only because we havent played good QBs.   Not even trying to knock on Mariota.....he certainly has the tools and if Brissett and Kizer can look against us, then Mariota could humiliate us.      However, its not like he has been anything special, but neither has Ben, so it should come down to whoever can make the plays down the stretch.

It actually could be a big deal in the standings. Assuming New England has one of the byes locked up because life is unfair and they always do, we would then be ahead of you in the race for the other bye. Might not know it by how no one is talking about us, but we're 6-3 and only 1 game back of you guys in the race for the #2 seed. Win this game and we own the head to head(though I think by tiebreakers KC is actually the number 2 seed in a 3 way tie between us? I'm not entirely sure) and thus are seeded higher. Obviously that only means so much when you still have 6 weeks left in the season after today, but I would say this game is pretty important if Pittsburgh wants the 2 seed.  Our schedule is pretty weak down the stretch. Indy, Houston, Arizona, SF, LA Rams, Jacksonville in that order. That's 4 games we SHOULD win(that certainly isn't a guarantee that we will), 1 game that we probably lose against LA(though it's in Tennessee) and a toss up game vs Jacksonville. So we could possibly be sitting at 11-5/12-4 to end the year. I think this game is a bigger deal for Pittsburgh because this could be your last superbowl push with Ben. The Titans aren't a team ready to compete for a superbowl yet, we're still a couple pieces away from that. Our goal is really just to get to the playoffs this year, regardless of whether we do much there or not.

I dont really disagree with any of that.   My main point is there will still be 6 games left after this game, so I still dont think its an absolute MUST win.

Could it be the difference at the end?    Sure, but I see the Titans losing two more games and us losing two more games.    If the Titans beat us and only lose one more game going forward....power to them, they deserve it more than us.     Same if we cant win 4 of our last 6 considering our schedule.   

Just now, SlevinKelevra said:

i think deep down he is better.  this year though  he's been outplayed by both,  not using box scores, using DVOA

What you basically just said is you're not using stats to judge him, you're just using a method that is entirely compiled from statistics to judge him. DVOA doesn't account for dropped or fumbled out of the endzone touchdowns, doesn't account for INTs that happen because the receiver was in the wrong place or because Murray failed to block the guy right in front of him, doesn't account for yards and or TDs that were taken away because the defense held a receiver that would have otherwise been wide open, doesn't account for his rushing ability, etc, etc.

Mariota hasn't been great this year(I don't think he's ever been great in his career period, had "great stretches" maybe, but never consistently) but he's been solid, pretty much the same guy he's been since he came in to the league, maybe slightly better. Far better than his statistics would indicate, though.

8 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

What you basically just said is you're not using stats to judge him, you're just using a method that is entirely compiled from statistics to judge him. DVOA doesn't account for dropped or fumbled out of the endzone touchdowns, doesn't account for INTs that happen because the receiver was in the wrong place or because Murray failed to block the guy right in front of him, doesn't account for yards and or TDs that were taken away because the defense held a receiver that would have otherwise been wide open, doesn't account for his rushing ability, etc, etc.

Mariota hasn't been great this year(I don't think he's ever been great in his career period, had "great stretches" maybe, but never consistently) but he's been solid, pretty much the same guy he's been since he came in to the league, maybe slightly better. Far better than his statistics would indicate, though.

you could have just said you don't know what DVOA is.

35 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

First off, wouldnt put too much stock into much that particular poster says.  Just a heads up.

Secondly, Keenum is getting overlooked.    I am more worried about Mariota than I was about Keenum, but Keenum has been getting better every week.     Would still consider Mariota better, and Keenum obviously didnt play that well vs us (although we had SOMETHING to do with that), but as of week 10, he sure isnt playing WORSE than Mariota.

Bortles....haha, yeah, no one with a clue would ever say he is better than Mariota.   

But to be perfectly honest, in general, Mariota doesnt particularly worry me.    I think he is the 2nd best but only because we havent played good QBs.   Not even trying to knock on Mariota.....he certainly has the tools and if Brissett and Kizer can look against us, then Mariota could humiliate us.      However, its not like he has been anything special, but neither has Ben, so it should come down to whoever can make the plays down the stretch.

I dont really disagree with any of that.   My main point is there will still be 6 games left after this game, so I still dont think its an absolute MUST win.

Could it be the difference at the end?    Sure, but I see the Titans losing two more games and us losing two more games.    If the Titans beat us and only lose one more game going forward....power to them, they deserve it more than us.     Same if we cant win 4 of our last 6 considering our schedule.   

Yeah, think I've already realized that. Shouldn't have bothered to begin with it looks like.

Keenum has played well lately but I struggle to buy in to him. I remember last year him having some nice games for the Rams, then just completely imploding. Unlikely he implodes as bad since the Vikings talent around him is simply far better(and coaching too), but I can't rely on him yet.

And it's certainly not a must win for either team with how pitiful for the AFC wild card race is. Pittsburgh is practically a lock for a playoff spot even if they start imploding, and Tennessee isn't far off. The AFC is putrid this year.

2 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

i didn't say he's better, I said he's playing better.  But go one with your bad self making up strawman positions to beat up.

In a given game a superior player can be outplayed by an inferior one.  A better team... an inferior one.  Note, this can extend to more than one game.

Using your logic,  Aaron Rodgers is playing better than everyone right now.

1 hour ago, SlevinKelevra said:

i didn't say he's better, I said he's playing better.  But go one with your bad self making up strawman positions to beat up.

In a given game a superior player can be outplayed by an inferior one.  A better team... an inferior one.  Note, this can extend to more than one game.

Using your logic,  Aaron Rodgers is playing better than everyone right now.

6d6895e13e9bfb545e4d3dc4be278ecb.350x178

Archived