week 11 Game Day Thread Steelers vs. Titans TNF

Steeler Hitman

9 hours ago, August4th said:

I think the steelers can survive without ben with tomlin coaching.. we would be like those 90s cowher teams with our young defense rising as the face of the team...getting a franchise QB will still be key for runs at winning a Superbowl and not just going 10-6 and losing in the div round

I think when Ben retires we're in for a year of 9-7, then 6-10 the next year, then we trade up in the 1st and nab a QB and get right back on the 10-6 range.

50 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I think when Ben retires we're in for a year of 9-7, then 6-10 the next year, then we trade up in the 1st and nab a QB and get right back on the 10-6 range.

But you know if that happens, the response will be "Fire Tomlin!!!  This proves he was only successful because of Ben!!!"

I mean, its funny how some fans will play certain cards depending on their agenda.   Because if we lost Ben, didnt find a replacement right away and had some struggles, you would see "Fire Tomlin!"  everywhere, but if we WERE to fire him and we brought in a coach that had the same struggles, some of those same people would either a) want that coach fired immediately too, or b) claim that we should wait to judge the new coach because you cant win without a QB in the NFL.

Only way Id ever fire Tomlin is if we were clearly in a downward trend that he couldnt get the team out of after several years, or he lost the lockerroom.     As much as some of his shortcomings are, Ill put up with them because I think the good outweighs the bad, and thats not the case with many coaches.    

5 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

But you know if that happens, the response will be "Fire Tomlin!!!  This proves he was only successful because of Ben!!!"

I mean, its funny how some fans will play certain cards depending on their agenda.   Because if we lost Ben, didnt find a replacement right away and had some struggles, you would see "Fire Tomlin!"  everywhere, but if we WERE to fire him and we brought in a coach that had the same struggles, some of those same people would either a) want that coach fired immediately too, or b) claim that we should wait to judge the new coach because you cant win without a QB in the NFL.

Only way Id ever fire Tomlin is if we were clearly in a downward trend that he couldnt get the team out of after several years, or he lost the lockerroom.     As much as some of his shortcomings are, Ill put up with them because I think the good outweighs the bad, and thats not the case with many coaches.    

Couldn't agree anymore.

It's just like as much as many of us want Haley gone, there's some reality of the situation as to how he will be gone at the end.  They aren't going to outright fire Haley.  They aren't going to outright fire Tomlin.  Either they would let the contract run out or they would have the coach in question "retire".  And that isn't going to happen any time soon for Tomlin considering he recently signed a contract extension through 2020, which is a sign that they want him here post-Roethlisberger.  And I'm perfectly fine with that.

The reason I personally want Haley fired is because Ive never felt he was a good OC and that he has only had success due to having alot of talent.    He has a ton of talent here and outright misuses it.

The only things Ill say in Haley's "defense" is that I think his offense CAN be effective when the playcalling is effective, and that alot of OCs around the league, for some reason, seem to veer away from attacking the weaknesses of defenses or keep calling plays that dont work.    As much as I dislike Haley, Im not convinced it would be easier to find someone notably better.   Both Whisenhunt and Arians had their fair share of weaknesses as OCs, and they were considered good OCs.

But beyond the football stuff, Haley seems like an insufferable doucher as a person as well. 

2 hours ago, August4th said:

can see tomlin retiring before we come close to firing him

I agree, but i doubt he retires anytime soon.    Cowher stepped down for numerous reasons, several of which had to do with family.   Obviously Tomlin could do the same, but I see him in it for the long haul....although Tomlin could absolutely go into broadcasting the same way Cowher did, if he chose to.  

So my buddy thinks that if the steelers were to fire Haley and look for a new OC in the off season then Ben will retire automatically.  Thoughts?  The only caveat he had was if Arians became available and the Steelers brought him back as OC.  I disagree with him in that Haley needs to be gone for the offense to improve and Ben is old enough to play a part in designing the offense and adjusting to a new guy but he thinks theres no way Ben is gonna wanna go through everything that comes with a new OC.

8 minutes ago, grubs10 said:

no way Ben is gonna wanna go through everything that comes with a new OC.

if that's the case I think the steelers would look inside for a new OC.. maybe his QB coach? Munhack?I doubt haley job status has any impact on ben retiring or not

1 hour ago, grubs10 said:

So my buddy thinks that if the steelers were to fire Haley and look for a new OC in the off season then Ben will retire automatically.  Thoughts?  The only caveat he had was if Arians became available and the Steelers brought him back as OC.  I disagree with him in that Haley needs to be gone for the offense to improve and Ben is old enough to play a part in designing the offense and adjusting to a new guy but he thinks theres no way Ben is gonna wanna go through everything that comes with a new OC.

Ben has succeeded in every offense he has played in, and switching to a new offense is more an issue for younger, developing QBs than established vets.   Not that it cant be a headache for vets, but I certainly dont think that would make him retire....especially when I dont think Ben and Haley get along all that well.

That being said, Haley wont be fired.   Only way Haley is gone next year IMO is if someone hires him as a head coach, and that wont happen.   

That Jacksonville loss could very well come back to haunt us. 

They look like the main threat to us getting a bye week (I believe the Pats are pretty much locked in).    They are 7-3 and have a pretty cake schedule the rest of the way outside of one or two games.   Same could be said for us, but since we lost to them, we have to finish with a better record than them.    We honestly may have to win out to get a bye, and that includes beating the Patriots.    Our main hopes vs the Jags are the Seahawks (game is in Jax though, so I think Jags have the edge) and week 17 at Titans, who they lost to earlier this year, but the Jags are much better right now.

At the very least, KC seems to be slinking back, but Jax is rising up in their place.

6 hours ago, August4th said:

can see tomlin retiring before we come close to firing him

if he keeps winning record, he will be safe. Beside, we a aware of his letdown games vs bad teams and we still make the playoffs.  He would have to have 3 really bad years in a row IMO to get in trouble. 

On 11/19/2017 at 5:25 PM, 3rivers said:

if he keeps winning record, he will be safe. Beside, we a aware of his letdown games vs bad teams and we still make the playoffs.  He would have to have 3 really bad years in a row IMO to get in trouble. 

they've cost us the playoffs at least 2 seasons under his watch, and the HFA at least 1 season under his watch.

Archived