Week 11 GDT: Patriots vs Raiders

SBXISBXVSBXVIII

57 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

That was 10 weeks ago. You think he has worked on his game any during that time...

love the positivty NTL, but the same can be said for every player in the league.

theoretically speaking, every team should always be improving throughout the league with practices

but in reality, teams get worse, as do some players. 

Obviously lets hope he has improved 

41 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

love the positivty NTL, but the same can be said for every player in the league.

theoretically speaking, every team should always be improving throughout the league with practices

I didn't want to go there... but you are 100% correct. Just because it's been 10 weeks, doesn't mean anything. He could be playing Madden and slacking off for all we know. Or he could be practicing hard every day. That's the nature of the NFL. My guess is, if he was showing signs of being ready, he'd have been called up. They signed a street FA over bringing him up earlier. Prognosis...... he needs more time.

38 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

Yeah some players do for variuos reason but guys on the PS have ALOT of time to study and work on their game and the highly reduced chance of injury. Id wager he is better now than in the preseason. That's just me tho.

12 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I didn't want to go there... but you are 100% correct. Just because it's been 10 weeks, doesn't mean anything. He could be playing Madden and slacking off for all we know. Or he could be practicing hard every day. That's the nature of the NFL. My guess is, if he was showing signs of being ready, he'd have been called up. They signed a street FA over bringing him up earlier. Prognosis...... he needs more time.

Your right he could have slacked off but my bet is that he is better now and this is all hypothetical. Yeah, they signed a street FA and what that says is the street FA was more ready, not that he wasn't ready. We also have fewer options now that we have looked on the street. I doubt they bring anyone in from the street on FRI to play this week. They would have wasted all that practice time for them to get familiar with the defense. Much easier to do a call up with someone with the team already practicing.

11 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

And that comes at what current STs players roster spot?

Well if he is called up an active for the game then someone else at the end of the roster wouldn't be active. Not sure that you know this but those are the guys that get the majority of special teams snaps. He would replace one of them.

2 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

Well if he is called up an active for the game then someone else at the end of the roster wouldn't be active. Not sure that you know this but those are the guys that get the majority of special teams snaps. He would replace one of them.

Right.... so who is getting cut was my question?

54 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Right.... so who is getting cut was my question?

I don't know. That wasn't the point of him being mentioned. I wasn't saying that it WAS going to happen. I was saying it could seeing that we have only 3 other corner healthy and it's 2 days before the game. Damn, stop just hunting for a gotcha moment and look at context haha

If you wanna follow logic and history, then looking at the previous 5 games we have kept 9 DBs active. Right now we have Carrie, Smith, McDonald, Nelson, Joesph, Obi, McGill, Luani,  and Harris all healthy. So I would say that IF they decided to bring up a corner from the PS then Harris would be the odd man out.

We have a chance. I'm not saying we'll win because that would be a joke, but this team has shown the ability to play a complete game on both sides of the ball... just not in the same game.

We need to win up front and run the ball effectively to keep the ball away from Brady and Co. If we don't do that, we'll get blown out. 

30-27 Raiders. 

Patriot Defense is bad, one of the worst in the league. If we can win the turnover battle +1 we should have a decent shot at winning. I think our offense certainly will show up this week. I'm not confident picking us here but my gut says Oakland. In Mexico City im sure there will be a few things the Pats would not expect. Should be a fun game, unless they blow us out of course. 

I personally don't feel we'll come back from 4-6 so we need this game to stay in the hunt. With a win here we're right there in the mix. 

The Raiders have to treat this game like their Super Bowl. 

I don't think this is a good matchup for us.  While the defenses are almost equally awful from an efficiency standpoint (DVOA), the Pats defense is slightly better than ours as of last week.  They're trending in the right direction defensively, while we are trending in the wrong direction.

On offense, the Pats offense is ranked first by DVOA while we are currently fourth.  That looks promising, until you realize the difference between 1st and 4th (30.3% vs. 15.0%) is roughly equivalent to the difference between 4th and 17th (15.0% vs. -0.7%).  

I think the Pats will move the ball at will and avoid making mistakes.  Even if Derek and the offense are nearly perfect, they will still be playing catchup.  And unfortunately, I don't expect that the offense will be perfect.

Having said that, I do not think this is a must win game.  Even if we fall to 4-6, I still would expect us to be 6-6 two weeks later.  And I still think the #6 seed may be 8-8. I don't trust the Ravens.  The Bills are falling apart (and I don't expect much from Nathan Peterman).  And Miami is a mess.   As for our schedule after week 13, the Cowboy game is now much more winnable than it was with the threat of Zeke playing (and who knows what is going on with Tyron Smith), and I am still clinging to hope that the Eagles could be resting starters in week 16,  

If we sneak in as the #6 seed and the Jags defense their way to the #3 seed, would you be absolutely certain Bortles wouldn't have an epic meltdown game in the Wild Card round?  I wouldn't.  I wouldn't expect it, but I wouldn't discount the possibility.  

Hoping to be wrong about my first three paragraphs....

On 11/17/2017 at 12:01 AM, NightTrainLane said:

Probably Smith and Carrie but I bet Carrie moves to the slot in nickel and McDonald is on the outside on the right. That is what they have done before with Amerson out.

Sad but id trust some complete strangers more than our cb's

is woodson still the db coach?

Archived