Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck

LETSGOBROWNIES

5 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

Oh and for the yayhoos that think drafting Sexton means Lebron is gone?  Remember Lebrons people are high on him. 

I think it’s a mix of prepping for LeBron leaving and taking a guy who fits well with him.

He warrants the pick but also fits in well and fills a need.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I think it’s a mix of prepping for LeBron leaving and taking a guy who fits well with him.

He warrants the pick but also fits in well and fills a need.

Absolutely. I hate tea leaves but we should have read them here as everything was pointing towards us taking him. You want more tea leaves?  Go watch him against Trae, looks like Curry to me, Young. Pretty much shut him down. Coincidence?

Fun fact that probably nobody will care about. Sexton is a 4.0 student at Alabama. As a one and done that’s pretty impressive. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bonanza23 said:

Absolutely. I hate tea leaves but we should have read them here as everything was pointing towards us taking him. You want more tea leaves?  Go watch him against Trae, looks like Curry to me, Young. Pretty much shut him down. Coincidence?

Fun fact that probably nobody will care about. Sexton is a 4.0 student at Alabama. As a one and done that’s pretty impressive. 

Yeah he checks a lot of boxes and has a pretty well rounded game.  He also plays with effort and competes, which is huge.

I just wonder how much of a facilitator he can be.  The assist numbers are no bueno, but so is that Alabama roster.

9 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah he checks a lot of boxes and has a pretty well rounded game.  He also plays with effort and competes, which is huge.

I just wonder how much of a facilitator he can be.  The assist numbers are no bueno, but so is that Alabama roster.

Absolutely a concern. 

13 minutes ago, hornbybrown said:

Dwight Howard says he wants to go to a team to help them win.

Apparently he is going to be a free agent. Does he fit here?

If he goes back to playing PnR style play sure but if he insists on pretending like hes a baller in the paint, then no.

7 hours ago, hornbybrown said:

Dwight Howard says he wants to go to a team to help them win.

Apparently he is going to be a free agent. Does he fit here?

He’s a clown of a human being, a child in a man’s body. 4 teams in 4 years, each happy to see him leave.

I’d give him the vet minimum and a short leash.  Start effin around or continue to be the doosh you’ve been and we’ll release you.  He’s a role player at this point, nothing more.  I wouldn’t even start him.

• Like 1

I'm not sure what I think of a ball dominant PG with average height/athleticism for his position, who can only guard one position on the court, who is an average shooter and has shown poor distribution skills. He may be/develop into a good scorer, but I was hoping for more. I was hoping that they'd either take Bridges or roll the dice and gamble on Porter despite the medical. If he's healthy, he could end up being a legit #1 overall caliber pick.

10 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I'm not sure what I think of a ball dominant PG with average height/athleticism for his position

He’s able to play above the rim and is known for his ability to get up and down the court.  He’s not Westbrook athletically, but he’s good enough imo. It won’t be the reason he succeeds or fails I guess is my point.

, who can only guard one position on the court,

Which is one more position than a lot of guys we’ve had (Kyrie for example).

who is an average shooter and has shown poor distribution skills.

True.  But if LeBron stays the necessity to play a traditional PG role is reduced.

He may be/develop into a good scorer, but I was hoping for more.

Yeah, I hear ya, me too.

I was hoping that they'd either take Bridges or roll the dice and gamble on Porter despite the medical. If he's healthy, he could end up being a legit #1 overall caliber pick.

I think they went with a guy who while not having the upside the others do, could be a piece that has a higher floor and can help a contender soon as well as be piece to build around should LeBron take his talents elsewhere.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

He’s able to play above the rim and is known for his ability to get up and down the court.  He’s not Westbrook athletically, but he’s good enough imo. It won’t be the reason he succeeds or fails I guess is my point.

As long as he can get to the rim, I'm not as concerned about his "average" shooting ability.

Which is one more position than a lot of guys we’ve had (Kyrie for example).

I hear that. If he's a legit defensive guard stopper that provides the offense that we think, it will be a good pick.

True.  But if LeBron stays the necessity to play a traditional PG role is reduced.

I hear that, but at the same time, why draft a PG then? It would make more sense to draft a wing/SG type that can shoot lights out or also play both the 3/4 and be a multiple position stopper. Just my opinion.

Yeah, I hear ya, me too.

I think they went with a guy who while not having the upside the others do, could be a piece that has a higher floor and can help a contender soon as well as be piece to build around should LeBron take his talents elsewhere.

If LeBron stays, then it makes sense. If LeBron leaves, I think that they regret not rolling the dice on Porter, who would be the #1 pick type to build around. I personally think that we got about the 3rd best PG in the draft when we could have had the #1 SF/maybe even player in the whole draft, but hopefully that's not the case.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

As long as he can get to the rim, I'm not as concerned about his "average" shooting ability.

Agreed, that’s the key.  He did in college, but.....

I hear that. If he's a legit defensive guard stopper that provides the offense that we think, it will be a good pick.

I hear that, but at the same time, why draft a PG then? It would make more sense to draft a wing/SG type that can shoot lights out or also play both the 3/4 and be a multiple position stopper. Just my opinion.

That’s fair.  I think part of it was his ability to get buckets on his own.  The 2017-2018 Cavs had one, maybe two guys who could do that come playoff time.

If LeBron stays, then it makes sense. If LeBron leaves, I think that they regret not rolling the dice on Porter, who would be the #1 pick type to build around. I personally think that we got about the 3rd best PG in the draft when we could have had the #1 SF/maybe even player in the whole draft, but hopefully that's not the case.

Porter is the type of pick that gets a GM an extension or gets him fired. Sexton to me isn’t a homerun, but he’s a solid double.

I think the fact that Porter fell well past us to 14 despite being a top 2-3 prospect a year ago show just how much teams are concerned about his injuries or potential personality issues.

I think the biggest concern with Sexton, aside from a more consistent jumper, is that he doesn't elevate the play of his teammates quite like a Shai Gilgeous-Alexander. Yes, he isn't afraid to step up and get buckets when his team needs it, but he's gotta improve in terms of facilitation for his team, especially as a PG.

• FGK changed the title to Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck