Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck

LETSGOBROWNIES

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

Oh I have been the king of patience with Garland, Sexton not so much lol

He is getting more comfortable and you can tell his confidence is growing by the game.

Garland in 2 years is going to be a All Star. I just hope the Cavs don't screw it up and do something stupid like not resign him, prioritize Sexton over him to make him upset or draft another guard to take the ball even more out of his hands.

The organization needs to back him, tell him he's their guy and put pieces in place to build around him AND MOVE SEXTON TO 6th MAN.

It is literally the Kyrie/Waiters thing all over again

I wouldn't compare it to Kyrie/Dion because both of their egos, at least on the surface, were much bigger.  Also Kyrie was always clearly the more talented of the 2 whereas I think Sexton is too established to make the argument for Garland, but Garland is clearly a better floor general.  Also Waiters has never sniffed what Sexton does in terms of scoring output and efficiency.

I know we stink but the complete dismissal of Sexton in favor of Garland being the long term option seems pre-emptive on both ends.  There's a lot of other things you can point to, like abysmal play from our wings, that seem like a greater issue for our team than Sexton taking a lead role in the offense.  Just my opinion.

Like if you wanted to simplify our issues to 1 player you HAVE to say it's Cedi who, not only misses a boatload of shots, but bricks them so bad they become breakaway buckets the other way, all while playing terrible defense.  I mean the best thing I can think of to say about the guy is that he shoots when he's open.

21 minutes ago, Rod Johnson said:

I wouldn't compare it to Kyrie/Dion because both of their egos, at least on the surface, were much bigger.  Also Kyrie was always clearly the more talented of the 2 whereas I think Sexton is too established to make the argument for Garland, but Garland is clearly a better floor general.  Also Waiters has never sniffed what Sexton does in terms of scoring output and efficiency.

I know we stink but the complete dismissal of Sexton in favor of Garland being the long term option seems pre-emptive on both ends.  There's a lot of other things you can point to, like abysmal play from our wings, that seem like a greater issue for our team than Sexton taking a lead role in the offense.  Just my opinion.

Agree on that, the Cavs haven't gotten anything out of the wings all year (or last year) (or any year since 2002 that didn't include Lebron).

I'm not hating on Sexton but it seems like a lot of guys have a issue with how he plays still. There are rumblings Garland isn't happy with some of the play on the floor, Sexton has butted heads with many veterans who get frustrated with him (notably Love) and I just don't see a way for this team to reach it's max height with him being a starter. He's simply too limited.

I have a weird feeling that he has already peaked and his success on the floor is reliant on effort as opposed to natural talent. The offense just seems to slow down so much when he is acting as the #1 because he pounds the rock and looks to ISO.

Garland has shown he can get everybody involved while also working his own game. He plays much more within a fluid offense whereas Sexton slows the offense to a screeching hault.

Sexton can be a good piece on a winning team, but having him be the #1 option or even #2 is not that way to go about it. This Cavs team should be ran through Love and Garland with Sexton coming off the bench to be the 3rd guy while the starters rest.

Imagine drafting a SF top 5 this year and bringing both Sexton/Nance off the bench with the second unit. That would be awesome.

Edited by AkronsWitness

8 hours ago, Rod Johnson said:

Like if you wanted to simplify our issues to 1 player you HAVE to say it's Cedi who, not only misses a boatload of shots, but bricks them so bad they become breakaway buckets the other way, all while playing terrible defense.  I mean the best thing I can think of to say about the guy is that he shoots when he's open.

Not really. Cedi isn’t good, but there are several other problems. Our issue is that we don’t have any length to contest shots in the perimeter. I think that’s our biggest issue. We can’t play our best two players together because neither one of them can guard anyone right now. It made no sense to draft two small guards in consecutive years. Dumb.

Fire Koby. This team sucks. 

Mark Few is never going to win a title at Gonzaga. It’s a shame too.

However, everything was aligned for him this year and he still couldn’t do it. You don’t get many opportunities to compete for a championship. There’s a lot that has to go right and you need some lucky breaks along the way at some point too.

It’s why I’m a firm believer than when you have a chance to win a title, you need to sell out and go all in. F saving for the future, you don’t know what could happen.

Edited by candyman93

41 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

However, everything was aligned for him this year and he still couldn’t do it. You don’t get many opportunities to compete for a championship. There’s a lot that has to go right and you need some lucky breaks along the way at some point too.

It’s why I’m a firm believer than when you have a chance to win a title, you need to sell out and go all in. F saving for the future, you don’t know what could happen.

I feel terrible for him right now. That was his shot and it's been building for 20 years.

2 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Exactly! It’s why I was pissed that the Indians didn’t sell out for a title and the browns not making a move this past trade deadline 

2 hours ago, buno67 said:

Exactly! It’s why I was pissed that the Indians didn’t sell out for a title and the browns not making a move this past trade deadline 

I agree about the Indians, but the Browns were not ready for Kansas City. There’s nobody we could have added at the deadline to push us past them.

4 hours ago, carl_sjunior said:

I feel terrible for him right now. That was his shot and it's been building for 20 years.

He’s going into the Bob Huggins territory of best coach to never win a title.

Mark Few will never have a better team that that.

Edited by candyman93
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I agree about the Indians, but the Browns were not ready for Kansas City. There’s nobody we could have added at the deadline to push us past them.

could have added King and on that 3rd +10, we are not stuck doubling Hill and Kelce. Prolly have a guy open to stop the QB scramble. Its not like we were never in that game

16 hours ago, LinebackerGod said:

Not really. Cedi isn’t good, but there are several other problems. Our issue is that we don’t have any length to contest shots in the perimeter. I think that’s our biggest issue. We can’t play our best two players together because neither one of them can guard anyone right now. It made no sense to draft two small guards in consecutive years. Dumb.

Fire Koby. This team sucks. 

That's why I said if you wanted to simplify it to 1 player.  We went with what we thought was BPA, and since we had nothing resembling a good nba roster I can't fault that logic.  1 of the players, Sexton, should become at least be a solid trade asset.

13 hours ago, LinebackerGod said:

How about we just get rid of both Sexton and Garland? Neither are stars and you need a superstar as your lead guard in today's NBA. 

Let's suck even harder with no real benefit and make players want to come here even less than they already do.  Are you trolling or are unaware of what the nba lottery odds now?

On 4/6/2021 at 12:45 AM, AkronsWitness said:

Agree on that, the Cavs haven't gotten anything out of the wings all year (or last year) (or any year since 2002 that didn't include Lebron).

I'm not hating on Sexton but it seems like a lot of guys have a issue with how he plays still. There are rumblings Garland isn't happy with some of the play on the floor, Sexton has butted heads with many veterans who get frustrated with him (notably Love) and I just don't see a way for this team to reach it's max height with him being a starter. He's simply too limited.

I have a weird feeling that he has already peaked and his success on the floor is reliant on effort as opposed to natural talent. The offense just seems to slow down so much when he is acting as the #1 because he pounds the rock and looks to ISO.

Garland has shown he can get everybody involved while also working his own game. He plays much more within a fluid offense whereas Sexton slows the offense to a screeching hault.

Sexton can be a good piece on a winning team, but having him be the #1 option or even #2 is not that way to go about it. This Cavs team should be ran through Love and Garland with Sexton coming off the bench to be the 3rd guy while the starters rest.

Imagine drafting a SF top 5 this year and bringing both Sexton/Nance off the bench with the second unit. That would be awesome.

It would be awesome, and ideally it turns out that way.  Love never even plays so I feel like that sentiment is kind of moot.  I agree Sexton is better suited to be a bench player, on our team or another team, but that's a bridge to cross later. 

8 hours ago, Rod Johnson said:

Let's suck even harder with no real benefit and make players want to come here even less than they already do.  Are you trolling or are unaware of what the nba lottery odds now?

The odds always favor the worst teams. And I’m not saying to let both walk for nothing. Trade.

And who cares if we whiff on the rebuild? What, we go from winning 27 games in a season to 17? 

• FGK changed the title to Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck