Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck

LETSGOBROWNIES

1 hour ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I don’t think you can make that work. Simmons is such a non shooting factor that you can’t put him on the floor with any other non shooters. So Allen and Simmons wouldn’t work together. The other 3 guys on the floor would be doubled a lot and the defensive coverage would always be pulled away from Allen and Simmons and onto the other 3. We’d have very little open shots. 

If you get Simmons you move Allen.

And we need shooting either way tbh.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I don’t think you can make that work. Simmons is such a non shooting factor that you can’t put him on the floor with any other non shooters. So Allen and Simmons wouldn’t work together. The other 3 guys on the floor would be doubled a lot and the defensive coverage would always be pulled away from Allen and Simmons and onto the other 3. We’d have very little open shots. 

I totally understand what your saying but the hope is that Simmons would develop a semblance of a jump shot during the offseason so he wouldn't be such a liability.   It's all make believe but it's nice to dream.

Peace!!!

4 minutes ago, cortes02 said:

I totally understand what your saying but the hope is that Simmons would develop a semblance of a jump shot during the offseason so he wouldn't be such a liability.   It's all make believe but it's nice to dream.

Peace!!!

He won’t. It’s all mental with him. If he hasn’t figured it out by now he never will. 

13 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

He won’t. It’s all mental with him. If he hasn’t figured it out by now he never will. 

Perhaps, but if anything can perhaps change what’s happening between his ears it’s a change of scenery, reduced expectations, perhaps a better environment.

Simmons has been a 'jump shot away' from All-Time great status since college. 

Thats 1 year of college and 5 years in the NBA. Whats happened in those 6 years? He's regressed as a shooter. The amount of shot attempts/game have decreased every year of his career, no improvement and actual regression in free throws (way better at them in college on higher volume). He never attempts jumpers. Even clips of him in pre-game warm ups you can tell he's just awful at shooting. 

He's never going to be passable from mid-range or three. Hes too far gone, he's scared to take them, and hes just all around terrible at them. Investing time and energy into those skills now, when we know he won't even attempt them anyway is a fools errand.

With Simmons I'd tell him, don't worry about shooting at all, just work on the free throws, try to get to 75%, and attack the rim relentlessly and make passes. Thats it. Only do what you do. 

Having Simmons practice shooting all offseason would be like having Steph Curry practice his postups. Why work on the thing you don't use when you have so much else working for you that you can actually harness and weaponize. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, roger murdock said:

With Simmons I'd tell him, don't worry about shooting at all, just work on the free throws, try to get to 75%, and attack the rim relentlessly and make passes. Thats it. Only do what you do. 

Having Simmons practice shooting all offseason would be like having Steph Curry practice his postups. Why work on the thing you don't use when you have so much else working for you that you can actually harness and weaponize. 

I was thinking the same. It’d have to be a draft day trade but If we go Green at 3 then I think a trade of Collin and Love for Simmons could make a lot of sense 

4 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

If you get Simmons you move Allen.

And we need shooting either way tbh.

Having 2 guys on the floor who can't shoot 3's is a big handicap in today's NBA for sure.

There's so many issues as is, and I think it's not exactly clear what needs to be addressed the hardest, but to me it's shooting and bench offense.  So I think there's an appeal to rolling with Garland, Sexton, and Green until the trade deadline if we are lucky enough to score Green at #3.

If we got Mobley I think Simmons would be more attractive to me, based on the hypothetical than Mobley could develop a 3 ball that's going to offset the lack of spacing Simmons will create in a lineup.  We'll still really need Okoro to shoot better from 3 on more volume for our offense to be good.

• Like 1

I’ve watched the film

I’ve watched all the top prospects

and based off what’ve I’ve watched

WE NEED TO DO EVERYTHING WE CAN TO GO UP AND GET 

CADE CUNNINGHAM 

Make it. It’s the best move. I’m not entertaining anything else besides moving up. 

Edited by brownie man

59 minutes ago, brownie man said:

I’ve watched the film

I’ve watched all the top prospects

and based off what’ve I’ve watched

WE NEED TO DO EVERYTHING WE CAN TO GO UP AND GET 

CADE CUNNINGHAM 

Make it. It’s the best move. I’m not entertaining anything else besides moving up. 

Lol I can’t tell if this is meant to be humor.

If not, no **** Sherlock 😂. There’s a reason he’s mocked by literally everyone at 1.

And the Pistons likely aren’t moving off that pick.  Why would they?  Because we sweetened the pot with Sexton or some ish??

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rod Johnson said:

Having 2 guys on the floor who can't shoot 3's is a big handicap in today's NBA for sure.

Sure, but so is our general lack of talent.

There's so many issues as is, and I think it's not exactly clear what needs to be addressed the hardest, but to me it's shooting and bench offense.  So I think there's an appeal to rolling with Garland, Sexton, and Green until the trade deadline if we are lucky enough to score Green at #3.

I wouldn’t be mad, maybe that group clicks together and really works.

It’s a small lineup though.

If we got Mobley I think Simmons would be more attractive to me, based on the hypothetical than Mobley could develop a 3 ball that's going to offset the lack of spacing Simmons will create in a lineup.  We'll still really need Okoro to shoot better from 3 on more volume for our offense to be good.

Okoro needs to be able to hit a 3 from either the corner or wing consistently, no question.  A 3 and D player has a decent amount of value. If you only provide the 3 or the D, much less so.  That’s a fringe roster guy.

If not, no **** Sherlock 😂. There’s a reason he’s mocked by literally everyone at 1.

And the Pistons likely aren’t moving off that pick.  Why would they?  Because we sweetened the pot with Sexton or some ish??

Lol somewhat humor. The more I watch everyone the more I just want Cade. He makes so much sense with what we have. 

What is Okoro’s best position SG or SF?

Because I was thinking SG until I watched him more last night. He really honesty is a small SF. Cade would allow Okoro to play with his skill set and not be a liability. 

Garland can play off ball so much and just stretch the court. 

If you get Cade I’d honestly keep Love around too. I think it could revitalize Love by bringing in a true superstar. Someone who actually can help instantly and someone Love can help bring the most out of. 

Lol somewhat humor. The more I watch everyone the more I just want Cade. He makes so much sense with what we have. 

What is Okoro’s best position SG or SF?

Because I was thinking SG until I watched him more last night. He really honesty is a small SF. Cade would allow Okoro to play with his skill set and not be a liability. 

If you get Cade I’d honestly keep Love around too. I think it could revitalize Love by bringing in a true superstar. Someone who actually can help instantly and someone Love can help bring the most out of. 

1 hour ago, brownie man said:

What is Okoro’s best position SG or SF?

Cunningham is the best prospect in the draft, but I think by how much is a little overstated. I think Mobley and (especially) Green are both really, really good #2/3 picks.

Okoro should be a SG for sure. He can play a little bit of SF in ultra-small lineups, but his defensive potential as a SG is lock down, but as a SF it's "holds his own" (IMO). 

I think Green is already 6'6 and could very well end up 6'7.5 or so, which is legit SF size these days (Okoro is 6'4 and old enough that he's probably not getting bigger). 

I'm done with Love regardless but obviously everything depends on price tags.

• FGK changed the title to Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck