Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck

LETSGOBROWNIES

19 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

That’s the thing he is built to take them on. Dude’s jacked. 

He doesn’t have the length 

muscles only take you so far when

Siakim is 6’9

Gallanari is 6’10

Jayson Tatum 6’8

KD 6’10 

That literally could be a Eastern conference road to the Finals alone

hed be mis matched each game

put Okoro at the 2 where he can be a dominate defensive force and get you a real 3 that can go up against these guys 

14 minutes ago, brownie man said:

He doesn’t have the length 

muscles only take you so far when

Siakim is 6’9

Gallanari is 6’10

Jayson Tatum 6’8

KD 6’10 

That literally could be a Eastern conference road to the Finals alone

hed be mis matched each game

put Okoro at the 2 where he can be a dominate defensive force and get you a real 3 that can go up against these guys 

That’s why I’ve mentioned “depending on match ups” a lot in here. Let’s be real though, most SFs don’t match up well against them. 

Besides that’s what Mobley will be for 😉

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

That’s why I’ve mentioned “depending on match ups” a lot in here. Let’s be real though, most SFs don’t match up well against them. 

Besides that’s what Mobley will be for 😉

Man every matchup vs a decent team he’d be at a disadvantage 

There are a few competitive teams where I’d be ok with Okoro playing mainly at the 3. The majority of good teams he’s outmatched and it’s not really arguable. It’s just physics 

Mobley is not Anthony Davis idk what the draft community is smoking, but he’s not this guy you want consistently guarding wings. 

He doesn’t stretch the floor enough offensively for it to make sense having him out there guarding wings. Your at a scoring disadvantage. You basically got him out there when he doesn’t shoot 3s vs a wing who can shoot threes at a higher clip with more volume. 

long term your setting yourself up for failure. There’s a reason there are 5 positions on a bball court. Spacing and skill set is vitally important. 

Mobley is a 5. Keep him there and let him be a star. Put him somewhere else and your going to lose. 

Okoro should be a 2 put him somewhere else your going to lose. 

it’s physics and percentages 

44 minutes ago, brownie man said:

There are a few competitive teams where I’d be ok with Okoro playing mainly at the 3. The majority of good teams he’s outmatched and it’s not really arguable. It’s just physics 

Mobley is not Anthony Davis idk what the draft community is smoking, but he’s not this guy you want consistently guarding wings. 

He doesn’t stretch the floor enough offensively for it to make sense having him out there guarding wings. Your at a scoring disadvantage. You basically got him out there when he doesn’t shoot 3s vs a wing who can shoot threes at a higher clip with more volume. 

long term your setting yourself up for failure. There’s a reason there are 5 positions on a bball court. Spacing and skill set is vitally important. 

Mobley is a 5. Keep him there and let him be a star. Put him somewhere else and your going to lose. 

The bolded is where I get irritated discussing drafts with people (be it NBA, NFL, etc.) You literally were in the basketball forum talking up Kuminga and his potential after quoting a post that had a youtube video of him in a workout shooting some 3's. A guy that shot 5 threes per game and made less than 25% of them has a boatload of potential, but the guy that only 1.2 per game because the system he was in at USC didn't really call for him to shoot the ball outside much can't shoot threes? 

Okoro is almost the same size as Jimmy Butler with the same wingspan, and Butler has made a career out of defending elite SG and SF's, developing into a pretty decent scorer, and not a great shooter. I think Okoro defending the 2 or 3 is just fine. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, brownie man said:

That’s the thing, Okoro has already guarded some of the best 3s in the game and held his own. He absolutely can play the position. But I do agree somewhat that I’d like him at 2. If we can get a nice shooter at 3 I’d be good with Okoro at 2. 

And I’ve seen Mobley guard the perimeter quite well. Watch the cats feet. He’s really good at it. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, H2ThaIzzo said:

The bolded is where I get irritated discussing drafts with people (be it NBA, NFL, etc.) You literally were in the basketball forum talking up Kuminga and his potential after quoting a post that had a youtube video of him in a workout shooting some 3's. A guy that shot 5 threes per game and made less than 25% of them has a boatload of potential, but the guy that only 1.2 per game because the system he was in at USC didn't really call for him to shoot the ball outside much can't shoot threes? 

Okoro is almost the same size as Jimmy Butler with the same wingspan, and Butler has made a career out of defending elite SG and SF's, developing into a pretty decent scorer, and not a great shooter. I think Okoro defending the 2 or 3 is just fine. 

This. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, H2ThaIzzo said:

Me personally when I watch Kuminga he didn’t have a great percentage, but he is a willing shooter who made 3s from all over the court. He missed a lot yes but he made a lot too. I think for him he can improve his shooting. I’ve seen him make all the shots and he had a quick release and shoots with confidence he just have to become more consistent. 

Mobley is different. He only shot what 19 threes all year? Sure the percent was ok at 300 but he barely shot any and he had to be wide open. 

it’s two totally different situations. One is a willing shooter who needs to be more consistent. 

one is a player who needs to add a new dimension to his game. 

almost almost almost 

He just don’t have it. As big as you want him to be he isn’t ever going to have it. Just accept it. His best position long term is at the 2. Why you want players to play out of position so much 😂 

he’s a full sized 2 undersized 3. Let him have to go up against Siakim KD Tatum Kawhi Lebron consistently he’s gonna get worked. He just doesn’t have the length. Stop trying to force it. I’d much rather him guard a Devin Booker than a Kawhi. Just let the kid play his true position so he can become great. 

Edited by brownie man

2 hours ago, candyman93 said:

On what planet is Kuminga a 3 point shooter?

Apparently because he shot 5 a night that makes him a potential 3 point shooter. I mean, since shooting the 3 is all we need, lets just grab Kispert or Murphy or one of the other draft sharpshooters with the pick. Problem solved. 

26 minutes ago, H2ThaIzzo said:

Apparently because he shot 5 a night that makes him a potential 3 point shooter. I mean, since shooting the 3 is all we need, lets just grab Kispert or Murphy or one of the other draft sharpshooters with the pick. Problem solved. 

3 hours ago, candyman93 said:

On what planet is Kuminga a 3 point shooter?

Never said he was a great 3 point shooter. But he did make a lot of threes. 

Look at Siakims stats his first two years in the league. Horrible 3 point shooter by statistics. Look at him now. Very solid. 

Not saying Kuminga will or will not improve to that degree, but he’s definitely farther along as a shooter than Siakim was at the same age. 

Ive seen Kuminga make all the shots he’ll need to be to successful. He just has to improve is consistency. It’s not like he’s a Ben Simmons where it’s just not happening. He’s taking shots with confidence he’s just missing too much. That can improve and it seems like he’s working on it. 

1 minute ago, brownie man said:

Never said he was a great 3 point shooter. But he did make a lot of threes. 

Look at Siakims stats his first two years in the league. Horrible 3 point shooter by statistics. Look at him now. Very solid. 

Not saying Kuminga will or will not improve to that degree, but he’s definitely farther along as a shooter than Siakim was at the same age. 

Ive seen Kuminga make all the shots he’ll need to be to successful. He just has to improve is consistency. It’s not like he’s a Ben Simmons where it’s just not happening. He’s taking shots with confidence he’s just missing too much. That can improve and it seems like he’s working on it. 

Siakim is very solid as a 3 point shooter? He had one season where he shot just under 37%, this past season he shot under 30%. I'd rather have Bam Adabayo who shoots ridiculously efficient from the floor but rarely takes a 3, then have a guy shoot high volume 3's and shoot them with low success. 

11 hours ago, Bonanza23 said:

That’s the thing he is built to take them on. Dude’s jacked. 

And he already looks bigger this off-season. Okoro is following the same path as Sexton and DG. 

Rookie Season - Mostly bad/average with glimpses of serious potential in 2nd half of season. 

Sophomore Season - taking flashes from rookie season and becoming more consistent

3rd year - breakout

And again I think Okoro’s ideal position is the 2 but until he’s a consistent threat from 3 and gains confidence (year 3) he’s better suited at the 3. But if his offensive game comes around and he can be Jaylen Brown (wouldn’t surprise me at all) it won’t matter if he’s at the 2 or 3 when he scores like a 2 and defends like a 3.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, H2ThaIzzo said:

Siakim is very solid as a 3 point shooter? He had one season where he shot just under 37%, this past season he shot under 30%. I'd rather have Bam Adabayo who shoots ridiculously efficient from the floor but rarely takes a 3, then have a guy shoot high volume 3's and shoot them with low success. 

Yeah from my center. 

From a wing player you want someone who is at least a threat to make a 3 that way you have to guard the entire court which creates more spacing and opportunities for more scoring. 

Ben Simmons for example. No threat at a 3 point shooter. That hurts them a lot because at that position your expecting a shooter. Kuminga is a willing shooter hopefully you can get him to 335-350 from  3. You get him there then he’s got a complete offensive game. 

Siakim shot 369% in 2018 and 359% in 2019 after shooting 220% in 2017

Significant improvement 

get Kuminga in that same range and he’s going to be a really good nba player 

• FGK changed the title to Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck