Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck

LETSGOBROWNIES

33 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

He’s being asked to be the starting PG and primary ball handler for a team with essentially no offensive threats.

He’s playing against starters, not reserves like a lot of rookies.  

He’s being asked to carry the team at times as opposed to just play a role.

He’s one of the primary focuses of opposing defenses as opposed to a rotational guy.

Numbers are great, but they don’t provide context.  If you want to ignore the context go for it, but it still exists. This isn’t to say he’s going to be a stud, just that he’s not getting much help.  Also if you thought he was going to be the type of transcendent talent to make something of this bag of asssholes, you severely overrated his talent.

I just assume he wouldn’t be the worst rookie in the league or the statistically worst player in the league when looking at some advance stats. 

Just look at the Hawks their two best players are rookies. Young plays vs Starters, is asked to carry the team, is a primary focus of the offense. 

Man, I swear if this was the other role and I was defending Sexton even tho the stats show how garbage he is, I be called the massive homer. 

• Like 1

Just now, buno67 said:

I just assume he wouldn’t be the worst rookie in the league or the statistically worst player in the league when looking at some advance stats. 

Just look at the Hawks their two best players are rookies. Young plays vs Starters, is asked to carry the team, is a primary focus of the offense. 

Man, I swear if this was the other role and I was defending Sexton even tho the stats show how garbage he is, I be called the massive homer. 

I’m not claiming he’s good or anything, just that I don’t think the numbers mean much overall.

He’s 20 and he’s got very little help, especially offensively.

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’m not claiming he’s good or anything, just that I don’t think the numbers mean much overall.

He’s 20 and he’s got very little help, especially offensively.

Again, I’m not saying he be playing at an amazing level. You would just think he would be playing at a level that would be better then the worst rookie/player in the league 

2 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Again, I’m not saying he be playing at an amazing level. You would just think he would be playing at a level that would be better then the worst rookie/player in the league 

I’d imagine he would be if they asked less of him and he got better looks.

His shot isn’t awful, and his volume of 3’s suggests he knows his limitations and does a good job with shot selection.

If he was asked to one of the Pips as opposed to Gladys Knight, I think those metrics would improve greatly.

17 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

The worst rookies in the league are guys who don’t even play.

Worst rookie that has even seen some decent minutes. Literally offering nothing on defense and offense. 

Gotta change his name from young bull to maybe baby calf or something. Way to inconsistent offensively and his defense makes Irving look like he was an elite defender IMO

Sexton was the one guy I wanted nothing to do with in the draft this year. Truly a dead end wasted pick unless he eventually hits reset on his entire style of play. He’s minimum of five years from being any good, if he ever is. He’s s guy that may be decent but not for team #1. At best you are spending time developing another team’s player.

I'm not mad that they drafted Sexton. There was really no other player that made much sense for them. We unfortunately just missed out on some of the better talent in the draft.

I still LOL at the people who thought we had a chance at making the playoffs this year though. We were bound to be a very bad team this year and likely for the next few years at least. Hopefully we just get lucky in the lottery in the next couple of years.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Sexton was the one guy I wanted nothing to do with in the draft this year. Truly a dead end wasted pick unless he eventually hits reset on his entire style of play. He’s minimum of five years from being any good, if he ever is. He’s s guy that may be decent but not for team #1. At best you are spending time developing another team’s player.

Like his game literally didn’t transition to the NBA. He was a PG that wasn’t great at creating plays and he likes to take mid range jumpers...

Should have taken the best wing player or the best big with range. Still would have been better than Sexton. Need love to come back so they can trade him 

It's unfortunate that star free agents don't like to play in Cleveland.  This years free agent class is stacked.  The Cavaliers could easily trade enough players away to sign 2 max contracts in my opinion.  We have to try and get through this season and hopefully get either the 1st or 2nd overall pick to get either Zion or Barrett. 

Peace!!!

• Like 1

I wouldn’t mind trading Sexton. He’s not going to improve his vision. That’s something you have or you don’t. And I never want to see another long foot on the line 2 from him ever again. We need to do everything we can do get zion and another lotto pick next year. Trade Sexton and love to take on a bad contract and picks. Next years draft is so good. 

5 hours ago, DawgX said:

I still LOL at the people who thought we had a chance at making the playoffs this year though. We were bound to be a very bad team this year and likely for the next few years at least.

I kept hearing ridiculous (imo) prognostications, all 30+ wins.

Never thought they would get 20.

Otherwise, fify.

This is exactly the type of abortion season the Cavs needed. They're going to need 2-3 more of these to be championship contenders down the line.

I've said this for 2 years now: The NBA is no longer relevant until the Warriors wheels fall off. That isn't happening for another 2-4 years, so teams should start preparing for a takeover then, not now.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I've said this for 2 years now: The NBA is no longer relevant until the Warriors wheels fall off. That isn't happening for another 2-4 years, so teams should start preparing for a takeover then, not now.

BleedTC is right.  Now that Boogie Cousins is healthy & playing, the Warriors are just a ridiculously stacked team.  Unless a miracle happens,  it's practically guaranteed they win the title this year.  Unless Durant, Klay, & Cousins all leave in free agency after this season, they will remain favorites to win the title every year. 

The Cavaliers have to be patient and try to obtain as much legitimate talent as possible.

Peace!!!

• FGK changed the title to Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck