Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck

LETSGOBROWNIES

5 hours ago, freakygeniuskid said:

I'm glad we have Sexton.

I also think it's crazy to not take BPA because of Sexton.

Indeed, It would be insane to pass on Ja Morant b/c we already have Sexton.

Morant is the clear #2 player in this draft (debatably even better than Zion) over RJ Barrett.

Interestingly, Morant is the better basketball fit than Barrett as well as Barrett is a blinders on, head down, poor awareness scorer much like Sexton. Barrett has deceptive assist numbers in ways that don't reflect the reality of his play and decision-making. Most of the assist are off a lobs or late drive and kicks b/c his shot was taken away. He's not a facilitator, and he sucks the energy out of ball flow.

He's a great prospect in his own right, but not a fit at all with Sexton.

PG Ja Morant and Scoring Guard Collin Sexton is a pair we can build around.

29 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Which was a very fair criticism. 1 assist is bad for a center let alone someone who has the ball in his hands all game. 

7 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

To be fair, people said the same ish about Kyrie.

Kyrie was Never a 1-assist guy in play. Sexton is consistently.

There's a chasmic difference between 2.9 assist in 32 minutes (Sexton) and 5-7 assist in 34-35 minutes (Kyrie).

Even still ... Numbers don't tell the story completely. Sexton has some of the worst awareness and understanding of cause and effect passing that I've ever seen. He just doesn't see the game well at all. There's tons to love about Sexton, but vision is not a trait that can really be developed when it is as deficient as Sextons'.

Kyrie's awareness was never that underdeveloped/poor.

Kyrie's assist numbers were b/c he didn't feel like adapting his play style. He could easily drop 8-9 assist a game if he wanted to as his instincts and awareness for passing vision in all its dynamics is good enough. He has 12 assist plus games to prove a point.

At this point, Sexton couldn't go out and drop 10-14 assist game if his life depended on it unless the assist were of the hold the ball then throw to a shooter late in the shot clock when options are limited variety, or all dunk lobs to Tristan/Nance.

He's a scoring guard exclusively and good player who needs to be paired with a facilitating guard for the team to thrive.

Edited by Mind Character

1 hour ago, Mind Character said:

Kyrie was Never a 1-assist guy in play. Sexton is consistently.

Uh..ok.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/kyrie-irving-says-lebron-james-gave-him-a-lecture-after-no-assist-game/ 

There's a chasmic difference between 2.9 assist in 32 minutes (Sexton) and 5-7 assist in 34-35 minutes (Kyrie).

Even still ... Numbers don't tell the story completely. Sexton has some of the worst awareness and understanding of cause and effect passing that I've ever seen. He just doesn't see the game well at all. There's tons to love about Sexton, but vision is not a trait that can really be developed when it is as deficient as Sextons'.

Kyrie's awareness was never that underdeveloped/poor.

Kyrie's assist numbers were b/c he didn't feel like adapting his play style. He could easily drop 8-9 assist a game if he wanted to as his instincts and awareness for passing vision in all its dynamics is good enough. He has 12 assist plus games to prove a point.

At this point, Sexton couldn't go out and drop 10-14 assist game if his life depended on it unless the assist were of the hold the ball then throw to a shooter late in the shot clock when options are limited variety, or all dunk lobs to Tristan/Nance.

He's a scoring guard exclusively and good player who needs to be paired with a facilitating guard for the team to thrive.

I’m not saying he’s exactly the same, etc.  I’m just saying he’s a young guard who’s asked to score and hasn’t leaned to distribute the ball yet.  He’s not a finished product.

That said, I don’t think we ever though we were getting a pass first guard here, he is kinda who we thought he was.

• Like 1

Sexton has been having one hell of a month of March. I would love Zion but him and Sexton don’t seem to me like they would work all that great together. I feel like he would really benefit having a true PG set him up with his elite ability to finish. I don’t know if Collin will ever be that kind of PG. he really hasn’t shown that ability or even flashed it at times. 

Indeed, It would be insane to pass on Ja Morant b/c we already have Sexton.

Morant is the clear #2 player in this draft (debatably even better than Zion) over RJ Barrett.

Interestingly, Morant is the better basketball fit than Barrett as well as Barrett is a blinders on, head down, poor awareness scorer much like Sexton. Barrett has deceptive assist numbers in ways that don't reflect the reality of his play and decision-making. Most of the assist are off a lobs or late drive and kicks b/c his shot was taken away. He's not a facilitator, and he sucks the energy out of ball flow.

He's a great prospect in his own right, but not a fit at all with Sexton.

PG Ja Morant and Scoring Guard Collin Sexton is a pair we can build around.

A JA and Collin duo would be fun to watch

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Uh..ok.

Lol. I follow Cleveland sports man. I remember that game and worse ones play-wise were Kyrie had few assists statistically but the game was garbage from a facilitation perspective.

I agree that Sexton's not a finished product, but at the same level of development Kyrie was light-years ahead of Collin in terms of ability to facilitate and read/see the game with vision. Collin hasn't been playing ball as long as Kyrie at the same level in high school though so there's that. Collin is what he is.. and that is a really good scorer with deficient vision that likely can never evolve or be developed in ways to even make him at the above average level of vision. Vision for the game at the PG position is a lot like Accuracy for a QB. It can be improved some, but you either have it or you don't.

There's tons to like/love with Colin. He's a special player in his own right.

1 minute ago, Mind Character said:

Lol. I follow Cleveland sports man. I remember that game and worse ones play-wise were Kyrie had few assists statistically but the game was garbage from a facilitation perspective.

I agree that Sexton's not a finished product, but at the same level of development Kyrie was light-years ahead of Collin in terms of ability to facilitate and read/see the game with vision. Collin hasn't been playing ball as long as Kyrie at the same level in high school though so there's that. Collin is what he is.. and that is a really good scorer with deficient vision that likely can never evolve or be developed in ways to even make him at the above average level of vision. Vision for the game at the PG position is a lot like Accuracy for a QB. It can be improved some, but you either have it or you don't.

There's tons to like/love with Colin. He's a special player in his own right.

I never meant to make this a direct comparison to Irving, he’s clearly not that type of player.

I agree that court vision is typically a have it or don’t trait, but there’s “vision” and there’s having an understanding of where certain players like the ball, understanding defenses and how to attack them, knowing where the open man will be based off rotations, etc.  Essentialy understanding the game at a higher lever through experience.  This is all stuff that Sexton will be able to improve upon in time.

This is more or less what I was referring to.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I never meant to make this a direct comparison to Irving, he’s clearly not that type of player.

I agree that court vision is typically a have it or don’t trait, but there’s “vision” and there’s having an understanding of where certain players like the ball, understanding defenses and how to attack them, knowing where the open man will be based off rotations, etc.  Essentialy understanding the game at a higher lever through experience.  This is all stuff that Sexton will be able to improve upon in time.

This is more or less what I was referring to.

Got it. Agreed. Yeah, his understanding will grow.

Should be fun to watch his development

• Like 1

• FGK changed the title to Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck