Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck

LETSGOBROWNIES

33 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

If I'm the Cavs, I'm trying to do something crazy to build/rebuild this thing. I'm trying to see if Houston is open for us trading Kevin Love to the Rockets for Chris Paul, who has a ridiculous salary that they're probably looking to dump. I'm then trading Chris Paul to someone else, dumping his salary. I load up on some picks while dumping salary, and go all in on tanking for the next 2 years, while simultaneously developing our young talent.

Houston isn’t doing that. At least Paul can play more than half a season. But I’d do it in a heartbeat. 

I want them to take Hunter but if the Lakes snag him at #4 I hope we swing for the fences and take Coby White. He was my favorite non-FSU player last year, so fun to watch him play (not just because of his hair). If he can add some strength and size while keeping his speed, he will be an all star.

1 minute ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Houston isn’t doing that.

Probably not, but I'm not underestimating a team like Houston's desperation and "blowing it up" since they can't get over the giant GSW hump. Paul's play was atrocious in that series, and he's close to washed up, especially on the defensive end.

At least Paul can play more than half a season.

Eh, he's the PG equivalent at this point of what Love is as a 4. Defensive liability, able to hit open shots, has some value as a passer, overpaid.

But I’d do it in a heartbeat. 

I'm not saying it WILL work, but I'd float it out there and try to do some crazy things. Staying at #5 and rolling with Sexton and that kid from Virginia is a good way to end up in NBA no man's land, netting you about the 9th pick for the next 3 years in a row, making you a contender for about the 6-8 seed in the East.

8 hours ago, Mind Character said:

I'm not sure how Culver is superior to Hunter. He's a better ball handler and volume scorer, but that's it imo. The NCG was interesting to see Culver and Hunter on the floor at the same time often guarding each other most of the game. Hunter lock down Culver and Culver couldn't stop Hunter when they were matched up.

One game is not the whole story of Culver and/or Hunter's game of course.

...  and Umm... remember Kawhi at san diego st.? Current Kawhi, of course he's not close.

I'm talking about as  2 year college athletes and their development. Their play traits are very similar (not the same) with Kawhi being the superior prospect in terms of mid range, defensive engagement, defensive instincts, and rebounding prowess. Hunter has superior 3 point and long range touch (at the same level of development), is a better ball handler (even though he doesn't do it much), has a superior post and triple threat game. Both have go go gadget arms and massive hands, as well as move similarly on the floor in terms of body dynamics.4

They have a lot of similar traits.

I'd rather have Coby White over Culver in terms of fit for our team when  it comes to 2-guards/combo guards even though Culver's the better player in my mind.

Yeah I agree with your assesment completely. 

I think Hunter is the perfect fit for John Beilein's style of play.

He is a little slow on the shot, but that can improve at this level.

We were the worst defensive team in the NBA last year, what makes Kawaii great is his defensive ability, I don't want another volume shooter, I've seen enough of those...

• Like 1

Hopefully Davis decides to stay in New Orleans now.  I would see if the Lakers will take Love for the 4, and then Kyrie can sign as a FA.  The Lakers can be the old Cavs, and STILL not win the West.  Would be great.  Gimme Culver AND Hunter

Edited by big poppa pump
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

Hopefully Davis decides to stay in New Orleans now.  I would see if the Lakers will take Love for the 4, and then Kyrie can sign as a FA.  The Lakers can be the old Cavs, and STILL not win the West.  Would be great.  Gimme Culver AND Hunter

Lmaoooooo

• Like 1

What a crazy night. My hands were shaking that entire 8pm hour, all to end in such disappointment.

But this is our reality, and there is extreme likelihood that, if the Cavs get this right, they could land a true superstar at 5. Last year it was Doncic. 

The fact is, if you're picking Top 3, you're expected to take one of Zion, RJ, or Ja. While all three are what they are primarily based on the belief that they are most likely to hit as complete studs, that does not mean they will be better than any of the players that go behind them. Perhaps the ceilings are higher, whether they will reach that or not remains to be seen. I think Beilein is a cultivator of talent, and by picking out of the top 3, you're not handcuffed to one of those three players. He can get a talented prospect who he can develop into a potential star. 

As far as the age concerns, if you're seriously worried about it, go back in NBA history and look at players who waited to enter the league until their 2nd, 3rd or even 4th years. Rather than picking out how "few" studs you'll find, I bet it'll take less time to track down windows in which one of those players weren't around the league, since that would be none.

Culver and Hunter seem like the most probable options, but we'll see how things play out. 

My initial thought with Hunter was Kawhi as well. I don't see the same kind of athletic upside in the limited stuff I've seen, but he's undoubtedly a talented player with a good chance of at least being an all star.

I think White from UNC could be a great fit for Beilein's offense, which likes to use two guards in a variety of ways, based on the handful of Michigan bball games I've watched and various articles read since the hiring.

Has anyone watched much of Sekou? I have only read about him, and his game really intrigues me.

• Like 1

Just don’t do something stupid and draft a center. Here are your 4 remaining centers in the playoffs:

Andrew Bogut

Enes Kanter

Marc Gasol

Brook Lopez

All of them (except Kanter) are just old guys who defend now. You don’t need some super athletic center who shoots 3’s.

• Like 1

Im out on Culver because not only is he a 50/50 coin flip to become a very good player or a rotational Jordan Clarkson type backup--but he also is not known for defense or his passing. Given the Cavs had the 2nd worst defense in the NBA last year, I would like a guy who would bring some defensive versatility. They also dont have a great passer who can create looks for others. Culver wont solve for either of those. He would only add to the fire of things we are already good at (iso scoring and shooters) and not help what we are bad at (defense and passing)

Even if Hunter doesnt turn into some prolific scorer, he has the play style of somebody who can really contribute in different ways even if hes not scoring 20+ppg sort of in the same way Tristan does. I would say he has a much higher floor even if he doesnt have the same scoring ceiling that Culver has.

3 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Im out on Culver because not only is he a 50/50 coin flip to become a very good player or a rotational Jordan Clarkson type backup--but he also is not known for defense or his passing. Given the Cavs had the 2nd worst defense in the NBA last year, I would like a guy who would bring some defensive versatility. They also dont have a great passer who can create looks for others. Culver wont solve for either of those. He would only add to the fire of things we are already good at (iso scoring and shooters) and not help what we are bad at (defense and passing).

Wait, wuh? Like, he's not elite yet, because practically no one is coming out of college, but he's rated as highly as he is because of his potential as a do-everything wing. Passing and defense included. I don't remember seeing an iso scorer when watching him at all.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Wait, wuh? Like, he's not elite yet, because practically no one is coming out of college, but he's rated as highly as he is because of his potential as a do-everything wing. Passing and defense included. I don't remember seeing an iso scorer when watching him at all.

There might be a little more to him but he is def. much more raw than other guys. I just want to go the sure thing route and not try to get cute like Dan Gilbert always likes to do when he zeros in on a guy. I think Hunter is a better fit in that regard. 

Either way it may not matter because Joe Vardon hinted in his article that the Cavs like Garland a lot--who is another PG that didnt play all year because of injury and that they are enamored with Cam Reddish whose level of care about the game and work ethic rivals Anthony Bennetts. I said when the Cavs got #5 that is in primo Dan Gilbert trying to do too much range, which I will not be surprised at all if they pass on both Culver/Hunter to reach on a guy with a bunch of question marks.

Well the draft lotto was a kick in the scrotum.

If it were up to me, I'd trade the pick for a boatload of future picks in a tradedown. Then I'd draft the best defensive players possible. We don't need to be worried about winning next year. The best thing we can do is tank our brains off and have a crazy amount of assets (cap space & draft picks) to make a huge jump in FA when it allows us to.

I'd like to leave the draft with Nasir Little, whom I believe is the best defender in the class. Sure he is very limited offensively, but we need a culture change of defense first.

• FGK changed the title to Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck