Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck

LETSGOBROWNIES

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I don’t think so, he’s just not a lead guard.

He can’t be the one initiating offense and getting people involved.  If you ask him to do that, the team struggles.  He just needs to get buckets, which he does really well.  There’s a role for that guy, obviously.

He's a scoring guard who needs to play with a point forward to fully realize his value. There is DEFINITELY a role for that in the league. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I don’t think so, he’s just not a lead guard.

He can’t be the one initiating offense and getting people involved.  If you ask him to do that, the team struggles.  He just needs to get buckets, which he does really well.  There’s a role for that guy, obviously.

There’s a role for that if you have another guy next to him that can pass. Which is hard to find. You can’t just put him with another point guard because you’d be undersized on defense against other guards unless you find a rare 6’6 PG. There aren’t a lot of lebrons out there who can carry the playmaking role from forward. 

18 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

There’s a role for that if you have another guy next to him that can pass. Which is hard to find. You can’t just put him with another point guard because you’d be undersized on defense against other guards unless you find a rare 6’6 PG. There aren’t a lot of lebrons out there who can carry the playmaking role from forward. 

It’s not an easy thing to find, but neither is a complete PG, complete SG, etc.

Sexton has holes in his game, as fo most players, but they can be overcome and/or compensated for.  That’s all I’m saying.

22 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Give me KZ Okpala with the late 1st rounder.

This.

I thought Okpala would be the guy back early at the beginning in the college season that I'd want most in the top 10.... then the mid to tail end of the season inconsistency occurred.

He has it all except for one issue. He has Length, a handle to create his own shot, a good feel for the game to make plays for others off the dribble, defensive tenacity when he's engaged, and an easy 3point shot with an even better mid-range jumper.

KZ Okpala, SG/SF Stanford; Nicolas Claxton, PF/C Georgia; Cameron Reddish, SG/SF Duke; and Kevin Porter Jr., SG USC are all players in this draft that have the potential to be one of the top 3 players in this draft when it's all said if not challenging for the best. All have all-star, but right now Okpala has the least holes in his game and is still one of my favorites in the draft.

There's no way imo he falls to that late pick of ours, but it would be great if he did.

Cleveland Cavaliers Mock Off-Season & Draft:

The Cleveland Cavaliers Trade the # 5 pick to the Atlanta Hawks for # 8, # 17, and a future 2nd round pick.

The Atlanta Hawks select Jarrett Culver, SG Texas Tech.

The Cleveland Cavaliers select Cameron Reddish, SG/SF Duke at 8.

The Cleveland Cavaliers select KZ Okpala, SG/SF Stanford at 17.

The Cleveland Cavaliers select Nicolas Claxton, PF/C Georgia -OR- Luguentz Dort, CG Arizona State -OR- Kevin Porter Jr., SG USC at 26.

Reddish (a former high school PG) and Okpala have all-star ability and both can create off the dribble and guard the perimeter with length allowing us a switchable lineup with tons of floor spacing. As much as I like Culver and Hunter, it's more valuable to trade down and take an additional shot at the draft selection gamble, especially for high upside players. At worst, it gives a more young talents to use in trade down the line. In the NBA, player development is everything. Beilein, Bickerstaff, and our advanced player development staff and co. will allow us to take such an approach, as well as maximize the complete skill set of Reddish and Okpala.

A potential late game line-up of Collin Sexton, Cedi Osman, KZ Okpala, Cam Reddish,and whoever else (Kevin Love still on the team?, Larry Nance Jr., Nicolas Claxton, or Jordan Clarkson) would be a potent movement based offense with at least 4 players that can create off the dribble an for their teammates on the floor.

Claxton will be on the Giannis 4-year development plan albeit he won't be an MVP guy at the end of the 4--6 year plan but instead will be a glue, mismatch quality impact starter and perfect complimentary offensive and defensive player to a star player or star players.

Trade-Away:

JR Smith (we will); Tristan Thompson (we probably won't); Kevin Love (we probably won't)

Core Roster:

PG/CG: Collin Sexton; Matthew Dellavadova (a valuable expiring contract the following year at 9mil+); Brandon Knight (a valuable expiring contract the following year at 15mil+)

SG/SF: KZ Okpala; Jordan Clarkson (a valuable expiring contract the following year at 13mil+)

SG/SF: Cam Reddish

PF: Cedi Osman (small ball line-up); Larry Nance Jr.; Nicolas Claxton

C: Kevin Love; Tristan Thompson (big line-up ... a valuable expiring contract the following year at 18mil+); Ante Zizic

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 2

Kind of a generic statement, but you have to be incredibly disciplined in a championship game(s). Toronto is doing a phenomenal job keeping their composure and sticking to their game plan even though things are not going right. It was the same deal in the super bowl. One team kinda panicked, forced big plays, and the other stuck to their game plan.

Its not easy though. I remember in 2016 Golden State going on a big run in the 4th quarter of game 7 which could have ended us.

Edited by candyman93

• FGK changed the title to Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck