Cavaliers Thread: We Don’t Suck Again!

LETSGOBROWNIES

57 minutes ago, roger murdock said:

We wouldnt have beaten the Raptors or Bucks

You have no idea what the Cavs team would have looked like. Still a chance the Raps don’t even make the trade. Seems like they made a move cause with james gone the east was open so they took a chance to take it over. 

Also Gasol is killing teams right now. If GSW has Durant and they could play their proper death line up they could take him out but because Durant is out, they have to play a more traditional line up and it allows the Raps to keep him in. The cavs would be playing a small ball line up that would prolly take Gasol out of the game or at least limit his impact. 

We truly have no idea how the season turns out if James was still on the Cavs cause the east plays out differently. Heck maybe Boston makes a bolder move so they can top the Cavs, where it seems like Boston thought they could take over the east with out doing anything cause James is no longer in the east

• Like 1

The Cavs have the best expiring contract assets heading into next season that can be used to acquire late and potentially additional lottery pick draft capital and/or young players in upcoming years. Kolby Altman has to take advantage of this opportunity to setup the franchise with an abundance of draft assets for the next 3 to 5 years or so depending on when the picks convey.

As it stands, there is approximately $66Mil in Contracts Expiring after the 2019-2020 season ($81Mil if we take on an expiring contract equal to JR Smith's contract via pre-draft trade). Those contracts are as follows:

1.) Tristan Thompson (a valuable expiring contract at 18mil+);

2.) Brandon Knight (a valuable expiring contract at 15mil+)

3.) Jordan Clarkson (a valuable expiring contract at 13mil+)

4.) Matthew Dellavadova (a valuable expiring contract at 9mil+);

5.) John Henson (a valuable expiring contract at 8mil+)

6.) $15Mil '19-'20 Expiring Player Contract we'll probably receive via the upcoming pre-draft JR Smith trade to acquire another 1st round pick & draft assets.

-------------------------------------

It will be interesting to see if Altman and co. can turn those assets into picks/players that can help us compete in the playoffs in a sustainable way.

There's a lot to work with.

Edited by Mind Character

Cleveland Cavaliers Mock Off-Season & Draft II:

Trade 1 -- The Cleveland Cavaliers Trade the # 5 pick to the Atlanta Hawks for # 8, # 17, #35, and #44

Trade 2 -- Cavs trade JR Smith and the $2.7Mil+ Trade Exception (from Sam Dekker) to Portland for the # 25 overall pick, a future 2nd round pick, Evan Turner, CG Anfernee Simons, and PF Skal Labissiere. Portland gets some immediate space and gets closer to being able to get below the tax and make a critical FA signing. Turner's contract joins the pile of contracts like that of Henson, Delly, Tristan, Clarkson, Knight that can be used the following season as expiring contracts exchanged with cap-space needy franchises' willing to give up 1st round picks.

---------------

The Draft

1st Round:

5.) The Atlanta Hawks (via trade w/ CLE) select Jarrett Culver, SG Texas Tech.

8.) The Cleveland Cavaliers (via trade w/ ATL) select Cameron Reddish, SG/SF Duke.

17.) The Cleveland Cavaliers (via trade w/ ATL) select Romeo Langford, SG Indiana 

25.) The Cleveland Cavaliers (via trade w/ PDX) select KZ Okpala, SG/SF Stanford

26.) The Cleveland Cavaliers (via trade w/ HOU) select Nicolas Claxton, PF/C Georgia 

2nd Round

35.) The Cleveland Cavaliers (via trade w/ ATL) select Deividas Sirvydis, Lithuania (to keep and develop overseas like Cedi Osman)

44.) The Cleveland Cavaliers (via trade w/ ATL) select Paul Eboua, Cameroon (to keep and develop overseas like Cedi Osman)

-------

Core Foundation Roster W/O Upcoming Expiring Contracts & Kevin Love:

PG/CG: Collin Sexton; Anfernee Simons

SG/CG: Romeo Langford

SG/SF: Cam Reddish; KZ Okpala

PF/CF: Cedi Osman (small ball line-up); Skal Labissiere (big line-up)

C: Larry Nance Jr.; Nicolas Claxton;; Ante Zizic

Overseas Developmental Players:

SF: Deividas Sirvydis, Lithuania 

CF/PF: Paul Eboua, Cameroon 

--------

Next Year Roster W/ 2019-2020 Expiring Contracts & Kevin Love:

PG/CG: Collin SextonMatthew Dellavadova (a valuable expiring contract the following year at 9mil+); Brandon Knight (a valuable expiring contract the following year at 15mil+)

SG/CG: Romeo LangfordAnfernee Simons; Jordan Clarkson (a valuable expiring contract the following year at 13mil+)

SG/SF: Cam Reddish; KZ Okpala; Evan Turner (a valuable expiring contract the following year at 18mil+)

PF: Cedi Osman (small ball line-up); Larry Nance Jr. (big line-up); Skal Labissiere; 

C: Kevin Love; Tristan Thompson (big line-up ... a valuable expiring contract the following year at 18mil+); John Henson (a valuable expiring contract the following year at 8mil+); Nicolas Claxton; Ante Zizic

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, NateDawg said:

My eyes sting every time I see Reddish being mocked here. 

Cavaliers trade down to # 8 and Culver and Hunter are gone who then would you have the Cavs pick?? Coby White? Someone else?

It's not that Reddish is a home run pick, it's just that in a group of uncertain gambles his selection by far has the potential for biggest payoff, and in my assessment is as likely to payoff as any other of the players not named Zion, Ja, or RJ,

This is the NBA not the NFL so there isn't ready-made difference makers  at various positions throughout the first round. If a team doesn't get a ready made transcendent talent at the top of the draft it's all a gamble on player development. Player development is everything. The question remaining is who has the best skill base, natural ability, work ethic, and feel for the game to develop off of during a 3-4 year time course. And that goes beyond box-score scouting.

Work ethic and commitment to improvement are everything in the player development game.

Picks in the NBA Draft aren't often picks to celebrate on draft day as projection, time, and development are quintessential.

Reddish contrary to public perception has the work ethic and commitment. He has the easiest best mechanical jump shot form with easy deep ball range, the ball handling skill of an elite combo guard stemming from his role as a PG, the ability to create for himself and others off the dribble stem, size, length, and foot quickness to be a force on defense. Simply put: He has the best skill base of the remaining likely available players.

Coby White has all the energy, intangibles, and feel for the game one could want, but lacks the length and size to be a factor on defense or be able to finish at the rim.

Reddish shined more when not relegated to the late shot clock 3pt shooter role after RJ pounded the air out the ball or a Zion iso or post-up, as well as when he didnt take mind numbing deep one step in 2pt shots.

Beilein and co. developing reddish is a worthwhile gamble amongst gambles imo.

--------------------------------------------

• Like 2

@Mind Character I’m not actually being critical of your choice in picking him in the eighth spot. If we picked eighth and he was there, he might be the best choice. It is just a little bit sickening to think about how that is where we are settling when we were thinking about picking a top three very recently and getting a premiere prospect. Reddish isn’t there or close, as things stand at least. The bust potential is pretty high there despite all the things you listed. My distain is an about your projection but more my level of excitement. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mind Character said:

Reddish contrary to public perception has the work ethic and commitment.

Where are you getting this?

I feel like there’s you and some former AAU coaches/high school coaches (who likely stand to benefit from his success) saying this.   Everyone else (the “public”) has a different view, but we’re clearly wrong in your eyes.

Just wondering what info think you have that the masses don’t that allows you to assert this as a fact? I’m not even saying you’re wrong and others are right, just not sure why you seem so confident about something I’m guessing you have no first hand experience with?

In your scenario above I’m not sure why we even trade down from 5 tbh.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NateDawg said:

@Mind Character I’m not actually being critical of your choice in picking him in the eighth spot. If we picked eighth and he was there, he might be the best choice. It is just a little bit sickening to think about how that is where we are settling when we were thinking about picking a top three very recently and getting a premiere prospect. Reddish isn’t there or close, as things stand at least. The bust potential is pretty high there despite all the things you listed. My distain is an about your projection but more my level of excitement. 

I think you bring in a kind of head coach and build a coaching staff lead by Beilein that he affords you to take a player like Reddish. I think Reddish would be a bad pick if we were trying to compete right away. That if you put way to much on his plate he would succeed. I think that happen to Sexton early. Cavs went into the season with unrealistic expectations. Once those were adjusted and the team accepted this rebuild, Sexton was open to changing his game and started to make progress. 

I feel like the Cavs need to try and get the #3 pick to get RJ or you take the guy with the highest Boom potential even tho he could bust.

Reality he would be a nice fit for this team IMO. He can help Sexton because of his passing ability which would allow sexton to not handle the ball every time and play off more which he excels at and gives them a versatile lengthy  perimeter player. Which is something they will need going forward to combat the likes of KD, Giannis, Simmons, and etc

June 20th needs to get here faster

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, buno67 said:

I think you bring in a kind of head coach and build a coaching staff lead by Beilein that he affords you to take a player like Reddish. I think Reddish would be a bad pick if we were trying to compete right away. That if you put way to much on his plate he would succeed. I think that happen to Sexton early. Cavs went into the season with unrealistic expectations. Once those were adjusted and the team accepted this rebuild, Sexton was open to changing his game and started to make progress. 

I feel like the Cavs need to try and get the #3 pick to get RJ or you take the guy with the highest Boom potential even tho he could bust.

Reality he would be a nice fit for this team IMO. He can help Sexton because of his passing ability which would allow sexton to not handle the ball every time and play off more which he excels at and gives them a versatile lengthy  perimeter player. Which is something they will need going forward to combat the likes of KD, Giannis, Simmons, and etc

June 20th needs to get here faster

Sexton changed his game??