Cavaliers Thread: We Don’t Suck Again!

LETSGOBROWNIES

6 hours ago, brownie man said:

To me a successful draft is either

Culver and Nassir Little

or

Reddish and Kevin Porter Jr 

You gotta come outta here with your 2 and 3 of the future 

That is unrealistic. Cavs need to come out here with at least one future player. Can’t expect that #26 to be a future starter. Just unrealistic because it rarely happens. Hitting on a guy late in the first is more so a surprise than a given. 

Hit on your first pick, that’s all that matters

• Like 2

TBH, if I were the Cavs, I'd try to really roll the dice and gamble here. I'd try to capitalize on Houston's "drama" and take on Chris Paul/his salary (dangle picks/player), then I'd dump Paul and a ton of salary to some team willing to overspend on a past his prime PG, and I'd then hope to get some type of return of middling draft picks. From there, I'd actually trade #5 for a young solid player and a lot of future picks.

I'd essentially completely tank in 2019-2020, dump salary to free up A LOT of space, try to hit the lottery again in 2020, and I'd still have a crap ton of draft ammo going forward.

It will take a lot of calculated risks to become a contender again. The Bucks/76ers/Celtics aren't going anywhere anytime soon, and the Raptors MAY/MAY NOT either depending on Kawhi. Try to load up to make a run in about 3 years...it will take a lot of young/dynamic players to do so. This was an almost impossible FA destination with LEBRON, let alone without him.

4 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Que?!?

If we end up with wither our 2 OR 3 of the future we’re doing ok.

Expecting both is a bit unrealistic my guy.

3 hours ago, buno67 said:

That is unrealistic. Cavs need to come out here with at least one future player. Can’t expect that #26 to be a future starter. Just unrealistic because it rarely happens. Hitting on a guy late in the first is more so a surprise than a given. 

Hit on your first pick, that’s all that matters

Nah I’m saying we can move up from 26 and get a better pick

or trade JR take on a contract and get a 3rd first round pick in the middle of the draft to get either Porter or Little depending on what we do at 5

If we’re going to trade anything I’m trading completely out of this draft. I want future 1st round picks for the 2020 draft when (correct me if I’m wrong) high school kids can enter the draft. If so that should be the strongest draft in years. 

Im just not intrigued enough of the guys eligible to want a ton of picks. I’d stay at 5 and 26 and just take BPA. Use our other assets for future 1sts. 

I’m hoping either Bol Bol or Goga drop to 26. Doubtful but hopeful. 

Edited by Bonanza23
1st sentence is worded horribly 😂

With the way that the NBA draft lottery is set up now, tanking is not even a given now in regards to getting a top 3 pick as we witnessed this year.  It still irritates me that we didn't even get into the top 3.  Instead of us arguing over Morant or Barrett, we're arguing over which 2nd tier player would be best for the Cavaliers.  The only good thing is that the draft, just like in any other sport can be unpredictable.  There are always gems scattered across the entire draft, all we can do is hope the Cavaliers can find them.

Peace!!!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

If we’re going to trade anything I’m trading completely out of this draft. I want future 1st round picks for the 2020 draft when (correct me if I’m wrong) high school kids can enter the draft. If so that should be the strongest draft in years. 

Im just not intrigued enough of the guys eligible to want a ton of picks. I’d stay at 5 and 26 and just take BPA. Use our other assets for future 1sts. 

I’m hoping either Bol Bol or Goga drop to 26. Doubtful but hopeful. 

2022 it's looking like currently for the HS kids being able to declare.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

2022 it's looking like currently for the HS kids being able to declare.

Ahh gotcha, good to know. Thanks man

So I guess now is the time to project and try to fleece someone for that draft. Would love to somehow get a couple top ten picks that year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cortes02 said:

With the way that the NBA draft lottery is set up now, tanking is not even a given now in regards to getting a top 3 pick as we witnessed this year.  It still irritates me that we didn't even get into the top 3.  Instead of us arguing over Morant or Barrett, we're arguing over which 2nd tier player would be best for the Cavaliers.  The only good thing is that the draft, just like in any other sport can be unpredictable.  There are always gems scattered across the entire draft, all we can do is hope the Cavaliers can find them.

Peace!!!

This

1 hour ago, Bonanza23 said:

If we’re going to trade anything I’m trading completely out of this draft.

I'd be down with that. I was of the opinion that if we missed out on Zion that we should just pass on the draft and stock up for the future. Uber tank mode initiated! Bring in some hard-nosed guys in the meantime and completely rip apart the roster. The last thing we need to do is get better to the point of being a 1st round exit from the playoffs every year. We need to be god awful or one of the top 5 teams in the NBA. The middle ground is a death sentence.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bonanza23 said:

If we’re going to trade anything I’m trading completely out of this draft.

True but with the way the lottery is set up. The draft protections are going to be even more important to teams. 

Rather get the talent in now, so they can start to be developed. Also I want to surround Sexton with as much talent as possible so he developed as well. 

6 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I'd be down with that. I was of the opinion that if we missed out on Zion that we should just pass on the draft and stock up for the future. Uber tank mode initiated! Bring in some hard-nosed guys in the meantime and completely rip apart the roster. The last thing we need to do is get better to the point of being a 1st round exit from the playoffs every year. We need to be god awful or one of the top 5 teams in the NBA. The middle ground is a death sentence.

Uber tanking is meaningless with the new lottery odds. The only thing Uber tanking will do is limit what Sexton can do. Get talent around him. Put a young team together and let them develop. Winning between 30-40 games should be the goal, with that you still have a chance in the lottery. Pelicans and Laker both got better draft picks than the Cavs and they finished with 33 and 37 wins. Hell Pelicans Grizz  Lakers had better records than 5-6 other teams and finished in the top 4. They all won more than 30 games. 

Get youth and develop them. Winning 30 games as a young team isnt purgatory anymore. Actually better that way cause it gives young teams reasons to try and compete. Their youth and inexperience will prolly be the reason they don’t win 40-45 games but at least being competitive will help them grow and develop. 

That is what you ultimately want. Get talent, Develop and groom them. They either turn into contributors or assets that can be traded. 

• Like 1