Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck

LETSGOBROWNIES

2 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I understand that tanking doesn’t guarantee you anything, but it gives you the best chance still.

Who cares about surrounding Sexton with talent? Is he really the piece that is gonna push us over the hump?

I think the idea is to collect assets.  Unless we try to sign talent, this team isn’t winning much regardless, which is fine.  I think the idea we need to sell off every potential viable piece is a bit overstated though.

We should be able to add a number of assets over the next year or two provided we’re willing to take on some salary.

2 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

I understand that tanking doesn’t guarantee you anything, but it gives you the best chance still.

Who cares about surrounding Sexton with talent? Is he really the piece that is gonna push us over the hump?

Doesn’t give you the best chances. We just saw the Knicks Cavs and Suns all finish with less than 20 wins. That netted the 3rd, 5th, and 6th picks. The lottery odds have kinda made full on tanking pointless. 

Well we should care about surrounding Sexton with talent? What, should we surround him with washed up vets?

surrounding Sexton with talent, allows him to develop and it increases the talent level on the team. In doing so, maybe the Cavs discover one of those talents is more worthy to build around but you won’t know that until you get that player into the building. 

1 hour ago, brownie man said:

I guarantee we draft either Culver or Reddish at 5

and I’m about 90% sure we’ll either acquire another mid first or trade up from 26

thats my prediction 

I would like either one of them. It be nice to trade up to the mid teens

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

Doesn’t give you the best chances. We just saw the Knicks Cavs and Suns all finish with less than 20 wins. That netted the 3rd, 5th, and 6th picks. The lottery odds have kinda made full on tanking pointless. 

Well we should care about surrounding Sexton with talent? What, should we surround him with washed up vets?

surrounding Sexton with talent, allows him to develop and it increases the talent level on the team. In doing so, maybe the Cavs discover one of those talents is more worthy to build around but you won’t know that until you get that player into the building. 

Of course we should try to bring in as many talented young players as possible. But you are making it sound like we have a bonafide superstar to build around in Collin Sexton. He isn’t a superstar in the making IMO. He’s probably going to go the way of Dion Waiters (traded for another established vet) once we get some elite talent in here if that hopefully happens. I am not giving up on Sexton and I actually really like him, but I’m also not ready to start building around him.

He isn’t good enough to change or alter draft/FA plans to fit him. 

1 hour ago, roger murdock said:

If not for Sexton, Garland is a no-brainer at 5 for me.

I think he still is. This early in the rebuild you don't worry about the fit for the finished product in three years. You get the best people period.

• Like 6

46 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

I think he still is. This early in the rebuild you don't worry about the fit for the finished product in three years. You get the best people period.

Just get young Talent. If they don’t fit they become great trade assets. Just like dion waiters was

Edited by buno67
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Of course we should try to bring in as many talented young players as possible. But you are making it sound like we have a bonafide superstar to build around in Collin Sexton. He isn’t a superstar in the making IMO. He’s probably going to go the way of Dion Waiters (traded for another established vet) once we get some elite talent in here if that hopefully happens. I am not giving up on Sexton and I actually really like him, but I’m also not ready to start building around him.

He isn’t good enough to change or alter draft/FA plans to fit him. 

im not saying he is a bonafide superstar. He is just the only young talent to really build around at the moment. Also the way the team was constructed last year with their weird approached of wanting to contend and than blowing it up like 3 weeks in, doesnt help. I dont think we fully know what we have in Sexton. Bring in young talent to bring around Sexton. Whoever is drafted Thursday is most likely the guy to build around with sexton being the #2 guy but still. Bring in talent to put around Sexton. See how it works. Sexton shouldnt stop you from drafting anyone but the idea of mailing in the draft for future picks is such a bad idea

• FGK changed the title to Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck