Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck

LETSGOBROWNIES

1 minute ago, freakygeniuskid said:

He's the Jamal Crawford, 2nd unit pure scorer. That's his ceiling at this point unless he fundamentally alters his play style. He's still in the starting lineup because we are still a very thin roster and for the #tankathon.

As for the people saying "what should we have done different?" My answer is realize that PG is the deepest position in the league right now and so its value is suppressed. The Garland pick makes sense in a vacuum for sure, he had the highest potential at that slot. Sexton should've been Michael Porter Jr. I said it at the time and maintain it now. The injury made him helpful for the tank and kept his value low enough for him to be available at the #7 pick when he otherwise would have been top 3-4. Sexton is the kind of pick you make when you already have a solid idea of what your starting lineup is gonna look like and you need bench energy and scoring.

Indeed, Sexton as a bench scorer and secondary ball-handler is a valuable piece.

I think Sexton should've been Shai-Gilgeous Alexander. He has a strong efficiency and defensive rating while providing length and ball handling SG versatility. SGA is thought by most in the league as being one of the best young assets in the league while Sexton is not despite similar raw statistics.

MPJ would've been a great pick for our purposes as well. 

Darius Garland paired with MPJ or with SGA would be more of a starting line-up fit and would've given us actual value.

That Kyrie Irving trade with Sexton as the centerpiece return hurts more as time goes on. We had to turn that pick into a core starting piece. All signs point to us missing that mark.

9 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Have hated the Love acquisition since day 1.

Should have kept Wiggins.

And never should have extended Love.

That was plain stupid.

Nah extension made sense. Better to keep him and hope you can get something for him rather than lose him all together. We had no plans to win or spend money for awhile anyway. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Nah extension made sense. Better to keep him and hope you can get something for him rather than lose him all together. We had no plans to win or spend money for awhile anyway. 

But he is a stiff and a whiner.

9 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I mean, what’s your brilliant solution for fixing a team that has no cash and minimal young talent?

What moves did Altman make or not make that are severely impacting us?

As far as Love, what do you think the market is on an oft injured, 30+ PF who can’t protect the rim, plays poor defense in general and makes 30 million a year?

I would trade everyone on our freaking team so we at least had cap space. That's about all you can do. None of these bums are going to be here if we're a championship contender down the line anyways.

15 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I would trade everyone on our freaking team so we at least had cap space. That's about all you can do. None of these bums are going to be here if we're a championship contender down the line anyways.

Trading takes two willing participants.

Some of these guys would require attaching a pick with them just to move them, in which case we’re bad with minimal draft assets.

So we have no talent and fewer pick.  At that point it doesn’t matter how much money you have, no one would want to come here.

10 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

So he didn’t go full Sashi and tank.... and YOU hate it?

It doesn’t necessarily pay to go full tank in the NBA where you have a lottery and wanted to keep a veteran piece in place to help the young guys develop. Nothing wrong with that logic.  

And if Love left he nets them absolutely nothing.  There’s no comp picks in the NBA.

Love had to know what he was signing up for.  Unless he thought he, TT and whatever leftovers were gonna be a force to be reckoned with...  

My man wanted the money but doesn’t want to earn it now it seems.  That ain’t on the GM.

You are absolutely opposite in your line of thinking about tanks.

The NFL DOES NOT REQUIRE a full tank mode ala Sashi, and his bull,,it 5 year plan that you endorsed.  Teams turn it around in a year sometimes (See SF this year) and multiple other examples of the turnover with playoff teams each year.

The NBA, on the other hand DOES require a full tank, in order to get at least 3 years of solid picks at the top of the draft.  Names have been mentioned about the "who" we could have drafted besides Sexton, and Garland.  I liked Culver more, don't know what he's doing this year, as I don't pay a ton of attention to it.  I'm saying it was a mistake to take 2 ball dominant PG's, who don't like to pass in back to back drafts.

We signed a slightly better than average player in Love to a crazy, undesirable contract, and wonder why teams want us to throw in a 1st to take him off our hands.  Oh, and he's not allowed to complain because he knew what he signed up for.  Sure...ok.

But you wanna defend Altman like ya did Sashi.  It must be your affinity for nerds.

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

He’s our best player by a country mile.

If you think this team has sucked the last few years, or would have been worse without him.

It was a bad investment pure and simple.

The proof in the pudding is that we cannot give him away for anywhere near breakeven.

4 hours ago, bruceb said:

Have hated the Love acquisition since day 1.

Should have kept Wiggins.

And never should have extended Love.

That was plain stupid.

Terrible take. Wiggins is garbage and we won a championship with Love. I don’t think we win it without him. It’s all about spacing and Wiggins gives us zero. 

@big poppa pump I agree about Sexton, his role is as an instant scoring 6th man. Garland I wholeheartedly disagree about. He’s ball dominant only because he’s a modern day PG. That’s what’s expected. He’s always looking to set up his teamates. Unfortunately they suck and Garlands assists suck because of that. Get a good team around him and get him some experience and I expect about 20 and 8-10 a game. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, big poppa pump said:

The NBA, on the other hand DOES require a full tank, in order to get at least 3 years of solid picks at the top of the draft.  Names have been mentioned about the "who" we could have drafted besides Sexton, and Garland.  I liked Culver more, don't know what he's doing this year, as I don't pay a ton of attention to it.  I'm saying it was a mistake to take 2 ball dominant PG's, who don't like to pass in back to back drafts.

The nba doesn’t require a full on tank, especially with the new lottery odds. the Sexton draft was awful. That was basically a 5 player draft and the Cavs missed out. Last year it was a 2-3 player draft and the Cavs missed out. Garland has a lot more play making ability to his game than Sexton that is for sure. With garland, just need his offensive game to develop before he truly start making plays tho. He has looked better the past couple of weeks. Sexton needs to be moved to the bench. Cavs need to get lucky and get a top2 pick. Either get Wiseman or get Ball

• FGK changed the title to Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck