Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck

LETSGOBROWNIES

2 hours ago, Bonanza23 said:

What’s great about tonight’s game is Drummond played well and we suck trying to integrate him. We’re going to lose for awhile and tank the heck out of this. 

The bad news is this draft is garbage. So we tanking for absolutely nothing. So naturally the nba will give us the top pick only to draft ****. 

The issue with the draft is that the Cavs traded for Drummond so that removes any need for Wiseman. They have basically put themselves in a situation where they have to get the #1 overall pick to take Edwards. If they dont, then I would target Okoro just because of his defensive capabilities same with Okongwu. Toppin is another Otto Porter type prospect who is good at everything but great at nothing..

The last thing this team needs is Ball who is just another redundant version of what we already have in Garland/Sexton. All offense, no defense and is built like a toothpick. 

Give me tall, strong wing players who have 7 foot wingspans who are defensive minded which would probably be Okoro/Okongwu if they cant get Edwards.

7 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

The issue with the draft is that the Cavs traded for Drummond so that removes any need for Wiseman. They have basically put themselves in a situation where they have to get the #1 overall pick to take Edwards. If they dont, then I would target Okoro just because of his defensive capabilities same with Okongwu. Toppin is another Otto Porter type prospect who is good at everything but great at nothing..

The last thing this team needs is Ball who is just another redundant version of what we already have in Garland/Sexton. All offense, no defense and is built like a toothpick. 

Give me tall, strong wing players who have 7 foot wingspans who are defensive minded which would probably be Okoro/Okongwu if they cant get Edwards.

We could easily just ship Drummond out for assets if we got Wiseman. Or just not re-sign him in a year and have he and Wiseman play together for a season.

Plus, Wiseman can play PF a little bit. He's not just some big lumbering idiot that can't move well enough to play on the perimeter.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

I would take someone who is good at everything but great at nothing to be honest.

I am tired of guards who can't play D though....

18 minutes ago, CBrownsman said:

I am tired of guards who can't play D though....

I'd rather have a guard that plays elite defense and can't score to save his life at this point.

...which means goodbye to Sexton and Garland.

...which means goodbye to our entire roster basically.

We need to rebuild this thing into a defensive-minded team that uses schemes, motions, and play sets to score points. Try to build using the Spurs model, not the freaking Trail Blazers model.

Altman needs to go. The dude doesn't know how to piece together a winning roster.

33 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I'd rather have a guard that plays elite defense and can't score to save his life at this point.

...which means goodbye to Sexton and Garland.

...which means goodbye to our entire roster basically.

We need to rebuild this thing into a defensive-minded team that uses schemes, motions, and play sets to score points. Try to build using the Spurs model, not the freaking Trail Blazers model.

Altman needs to go. The dude doesn't know how to piece together a winning roster.

agreed.  The nba still hasn't realzied you can't win with players who can't play D.

Kyrie, Trey Young, those types of players the team is actually worse with on the court...

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, CBrownsman said:

agreed.  The nba still hasn't realzied you can't win with players who can't play D.

Kyrie, Trey Young, those types of players the team is actually worse with on the court...

Eh, I mean, Kyrie was a huge part of our championship.

You need to be good on both ends of the floor (as a team).  Some guys excel on one end, and that’s fine, you just need to find players who can cover their deficiencies on the other side of the floor.

For every Nick Young there’s a guy who can’t hit free throws or make a bucket outside of the paint.  

I would argue it’s easier to make a bad defender a mediocre defender than it is a bad offensive player a mediocre one though.

14 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

Edwards is who we need in this draft. Anyone else would be a huge disappointment. I know we have a lot of guards he’s the clear #1 in my opinion.

I do not want Lamelo Ball or Wiseman. 

Agreed on Lamelo. I wouldn't mind Wiseman. But Edwards is my top guy right now. And he's big enough to be a 3 in smaller lineups, so we could do Garland, 3 and D SG, Edwards, Stretch 4, Drummond next year (sexton as the bench scorer).

19 minutes ago, brownie man said:

Man if Steph comes back and the Warriors start winning we can hopefully lock up this likeliness for the Number 1 pick

If we get Anthony Edwards it would solve a lot 

Welcome to the new draft rules my friends.  We will not lock up any likeliness for the #1 pick.

Regardless of being the worst of 4th worst team in the NBA, the highest percentage we can possibly have for the #1 picks is 14%.

Hell if we are the worst team in the NBA and have the worst record we have a 48% chance of getting the 5th pick and a 52% chance of getting 1-4.

1 - 14.0%
2 - 13.4%
3 - 12.7%
4 - 11.9%
5 - 47.9%

The odds are no longer with us.  Really just being in the 3 worst teams is all we need to do.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Eh, I mean, Kyrie was a huge part of our championship.

You need to be good on both ends of the floor (as a team).  Some guys excel on one end, and that’s fine, you just need to find players who can cover their deficiencies on the other side of the floor.

For every Nick Young there’s a guy who can’t hit free throws or make a bucket outside of the paint.  

I would argue it’s easier to make a bad defender a mediocre defender than it is a bad offensive player a mediocre one though.

He was a big part of our championship.  And I haven't looked up the numbers when he was with Cleveland.

But with Brooklyn, the nets are significantly better with him off the court than with him on the floor.

Hell when he was with us we didn't necessarily do better with him than without him...

Its not about being just offense or just defense, its about making up for your deficiencies somehow.

Kyrie is AMAZING with the ball in his hands.  The handle he has is like no one i've seen in a while.

That being said, Brooklyn is not a better team with him.  They are more unified and better defensively without him which more than makes up for his offensive production...

Trey young is all I have to say.  Watch him play.  He is ASTOUNDING offensively.  But he is SOOOO bad defensively that team plays 4-5 on the other end of the court.  They will never win that way regardless of how good he is.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, CBrownsman said:

He was a big part of our championship.  And I haven't looked up the numbers when he was with Cleveland.

But with Brooklyn, the nets are significantly better with him off the court than with him on the floor.

Hell when he was with us we didn't necessarily do better with him than without him...

Its not about being just offense or just defense, its about making up for your deficiencies somehow.

Kyrie is AMAZING with the ball in his hands.  The handle he has is like no one i've seen in a while.

That being said, Brooklyn is not a better team with him.  They are more unified and better defensively without him which more than makes up for his offensive production...

Trey young is all I have to say.  Watch him play.  He is ASTOUNDING offensively.  But he is SOOOO bad defensively that team plays 4-5 on the other end of the court.  They will never win that way regardless of how good he is.

I was speaking more in generalities than to those two specifically.

We saw Kyrie play middling defense.  He did fine against Curry in the finals.  Defense is like 30% knowledge and understanding of the game and the rest is effort (provided you have the requisite athleticism, size, etc obviously).

I admit that it’s not easy to teach desire, and Kyrie is a perfect example of that.  I look at a kid like Sexton who plays hard and is competitive and athletic, and he’s just lacking the basic understanding of how to play defense at the nba level.  That’s not all that unusual for a 20 year old dude.  Most 20 year olds aren’t lock down defenders in the league.  That said, if he continues to learn and develop his game, I don’t think it’s out of the question he becomes a mediocre to capable defender in 3-4 years.

4 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I was speaking more in generalities than to those two specifically.

We saw Kyrie play middling defense.  He did fine against Curry in the finals.  Defense is like 30% knowledge and understanding of the game and the rest is effort (provided you have the requisite athleticism, size, etc obviously).

I admit that it’s not easy to teach desire, and Kyrie is a perfect example of that.  I look at a kid like Sexton who plays hard and is competitive and athletic, and he’s just lacking the basic understanding of how to play defense at the nba level.  That’s not all that unusual for a 20 year old dude.  Most 20 year olds aren’t lock down defenders in the league.  That said, if he continues to learn and develop his game, I don’t think it’s out of the question he becomes a mediocre to capable defender in 3-4 years.

I certainly hope you are right.  Ability to play defense would go a long way to making him a serviceable player in our lineup.  

Having Andre Drummond behind him will help

2 hours ago, CBrownsman said:

Welcome to the new draft rules my friends.  We will not lock up any likeliness for the #1 pick.

Regardless of being the worst of 4th worst team in the NBA, the highest percentage we can possibly have for the #1 picks is 14%.

Hell if we are the worst team in the NBA and have the worst record we have a 48% chance of getting the 5th pick and a 52% chance of getting 1-4.

1 - 14.0%
2 - 13.4%
3 - 12.7%
4 - 11.9%
5 - 47.9%

The odds are no longer with us.  Really just being in the 3 worst teams is all we need to do.

Thats why Im not sweating the draft. There really are guys at the top that the Cavs simply dont need which will push players that actually fit 'us' down the board to that 3-6 range we will probably end up in. Lamelo Ball is useless on this team and fits nothing that we actually need. If anything he would only compound the same problems we already have. We no longer will be in the running for Wiseman because of Drummond.

That leaves Edwards, Okoro, Toppin (if he can play the 3) and Avdija as the guys Im realistically looking at.

If the Cavs fall out of the top 4 of the NBA draft. Okoro or Avdija are two guys that I would not mind at all as consolation prizes.

• FGK changed the title to Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck