Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck

LETSGOBROWNIES

2 hours ago, freakygeniuskid said:

I don't think Ball fits our current roster even the tiniest bit. He's another ball dominant 1/2 who can't shoot.

Avdija is actually interesting if we slide to 3-4 in the lottery. If we are 1/2 I think I want Wiseman or Edwards. But at 3/4 you start including fit as well as BPA (and I think there is a big 2nd tier there) and Avdija would be an intriguing fit with our roster. We have a pair of score first guards, Avdija is a distributing point forward like a smaller Jokic (not same level, but a bigger dude who is likely to average 6+ assists). I wonder if Sexton and Garland continue to develop, and if you put the ball in his hands, distributing to Garland/Sexton, I don't know, could be an interesting fit with the right Coaching.

I don’t care about our other guards. Ball is a true point guard. Something the current team is desperately in need of.  He also brings great size and length to the guard position. Something, again that is something that is missing from our current guard. Garland shouldn’t be a 1, he should be the 2. Ball should be the 1 and Sexton is a bench/6th man type player. hell I think the Cavs might have a better future with a 1/2 of Ball and KPJ

there is no one currently on the team that is worth building around at the moment. Except maybe for KPJ The season being cut short hurts Garland and KPJ. You go BPA, no matter what. That screwed us when we didn’t go Dipo cause we were so worried about Irving and Waiters. Left us taking freaking Bennett. You get the talent and figure out what to do from there. 

11 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Are you calling Ball a tunnel vision PG?

All I’m saying in a general sense is we have an overload on point guards that have a shoot-first mentality and are poor distributors. I’m not referring to one prospect. Our PG position sucks at defense also. 

4 hours ago, freakygeniuskid said:

I don't think Ball fits our current roster even the tiniest bit. He's another ball dominant 1/2 who can't shoot.

Avdija is actually interesting if we slide to 3-4 in the lottery. If we are 1/2 I think I want Wiseman or Edwards. But at 3/4 you start including fit as well as BPA (and I think there is a big 2nd tier there) and Avdija would be an intriguing fit with our roster. We have a pair of score first guards, Avdija is a distributing point forward like a smaller Jokic (not same level, but a bigger dude who is likely to average 6+ assists). I wonder if Sexton and Garland continue to develop, and if you put the ball in his hands, distributing to Garland/Sexton, I don't know, could be an interesting fit with the right Coaching.

Our current roster is irrelevant. No one on this team is worth keeping if push came to shove with a better option. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Our current roster is irrelevant. No one on this team is worth keeping if push came to shove with a better option. 

Yeah this is just assembling talent at this point and let the cream rise to the top.

If you need to move someone, so be it, it’s the NBA trades happen all the time.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I mean sure, if a potential superstar falls into your lap you take him no matter the position. But you also can't just jettison guys less than a year into their development because they aren't stars instantly. Especially when PG often takes a couple years for guys to adapt. Sexton is still a ball hog, but he was taking some real steps the last couple months there.

Ball, IMO is in a BIG tier of dudes that could go in that 3-8 range, I'm not chucking what little talent we have on the team to grab a guy that I don't see as having much more upside than a guy like Avidja or Okoro. If there was a Ja Morant in this draft, then you send Garland to the highest bidder (or see if he develops from the bench) and ride off into the sunset. But IMO there isn't a guy of that level in this draft, or at least not one who is obvious right now.

57 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

I mean sure, if a potential superstar falls into your lap you take him no matter the position. But you also can't just jettison guys less than a year into their development because they aren't stars instantly. Especially when PG often takes a couple years for guys to adapt. Sexton is still a ball hog, but he was taking some real steps the last couple months there.

Ball, IMO is in a BIG tier of dudes that could go in that 3-8 range, I'm not chucking what little talent we have on the team to grab a guy that I don't see as having much more upside than a guy like Avidja or Okoro. If there was a Ja Morant in this draft, then you send Garland to the highest bidder (or see if he develops from the bench) and ride off into the sunset. But IMO there isn't a guy of that level in this draft, or at least not one who is obvious right now.

Real steps but opposing defense still weren’t even trying to stop him. Still have no idea what he can do when opposing defense truly set up to stop him and force him to be a distributor. 

Collin Sexton and Kevin Porter Jr are the future in the back court. 

Collin still has to work on seeing the floor better but given the steady improvement the last 4 months, I am not worried.

KPJ has all the tools to be a star. He has that natural feel thats hard to explain. He just needs to be more consistent shooting

DG needs time so he should be back up PG.

We need real help at PF and C.

Collin is a future 6th man. He isnt a starting PG. In the 1.5 seasons, his defense never truly improved and his ability to see the floor and be a distributor never developed either. You can not pencil him in as a future player

2 hours ago, buno67 said:

Collin is a future 6th man. He isnt a starting PG. In the 1.5 seasons, his defense never truly improved and his ability to see the floor and be a distributor never developed either. You can not pencil him in as a future player

He’s played so little. He’s 19. His game has taken a meteoric rise this year. Im sure his passing can and probably will improve. Is Sexton untouchable? No, but the dude looks to be one of the better guards in the NBA in a few years.

Your hatred for him seems to be a little irrational. I’d be open to listening to trade offers, but he’s very valuable and I wouldn’t ship him out for anything short of a major haul. 

• Like 1

FA: Josh Jackson SF

Trade:

Kevin Love to POR————Nassir Little/Zach Collins to CLE

#2–Obi Toppin PF Dayton

2nd—Tre Jones PG Duke

PG: Garland/Exum/Jones

SG: Sexton/Porter/Windler

SF: Osman/Little/Jackson

PF: Toppin/Nance/Wade

C: Drummond/Collins/Zizic

We still need a superstar at SF, but that’d be a start. Shedding all of the major contracts we have minus Drummonds. 

32 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

FA: Josh Jackson SF

Trade:

Kevin Love to POR————Nassir Little/Zach Collins to CLE

#2–Obi Toppin PF Dayton

2nd—Tre Jones PG Duke

PG: Garland/Exum/Jones

SG: Sexton/Porter/Windler

SF: Osman/Little/Jackson

PF: Toppin/Nance/Wade

C: Drummond/Collins/Zizic

We still need a superstar at SF, but that’d be a start. Shedding all of the major contracts we have minus Drummonds. 

My only complaint is Toppin. I like the guy, I wouldn't hate the pick at #3 or later. But if we are top two, I think that's Wiseman or Edwards there. We need star/superstar upside guys right now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, buno67 said:

Strongly disagree. No point guard plays defense. He’s shown to the tools and potential to be average which is all you can ask for. His playmaking improved a lot the second half. He’s a stud offensively. He’s much better than a 6th man. 

• Like 1

• FGK changed the title to Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck