LETSGOBROWNIES

Free Agency:

+ DeAnthony Melton PG/SG
+Josh Jackson SF

Trades:

Kevin Love & 2nd Round Pick traded to Portland for:
C Zach Collins
1st Round Pick

Trade #2 overall pick to Minnesota for #6 & #16 overall picks. Cavs also receive future protected 1st round pick.

#6--Onyeka Okongwu PF USC
#16--Jaden McDaniels SF Washington
#18--Vernon Carey C Duke

PG: Garland/Melton/Exum
SG: Sexton/Porter/Windler
SF: Osman/Jackson/McDaniels
PF: Okongwu/Nance/Wade
C: Drummond/Collins/Carey

1 hour ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

also, NEVER trade down in the nba draft. This isnt like the nfl where you can get a star halfway through the first. 

Normally I'd agree. And I think if we get a top 2 pick I'd still agree (I'm higher on Wiseman's potential than some). But THIS draft? Give me 6 and 16 over #3 all day. This drat is the crap shoot to end all crap shoots. Heck, if I could guarantee a top 4 pick next year for #2-3 this year, I would take that every time.

• Like 1

I hate the way the draft odds work. I just rank the tankathon RNG calc for draft position and when you start clicking that you see how ugly it gets. We are more likely to pick 5 or 6 than 1/2/3.

Also as long as we don't get a chance at Edwards I'd make that 2 for 6/16 trade all day. I think Minnesota would too cause they need Wiseman or OO's defense to cover for Towns.

Something like OO at 6 + Nesmith at 16, or Vassell at 6 + Aleksej Pokuševski at 16 for a high upside stash.

55 minutes ago, roger murdock said:

I hate the way the draft odds work. I just rank the tankathon RNG calc for draft position and when you start clicking that you see how ugly it gets. We are more likely to pick 5 or 6 than 1/2/3.

Also as long as we don't get a chance at Edwards I'd make that 2 for 6/16 trade all day. I think Minnesota would too cause they need Wiseman or OO's defense to cover for Towns.

Something like OO at 6 + Nesmith at 16, or Vassell at 6 + Aleksej Pokuševski at 16 for a high upside stash.

They need to just do away with the lottery all together.

It’s insane and doesn’t prevent tanking.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

They need to just do away with the lottery all together.

It’s insane and doesn’t prevent tanking.

There’s no perfect system and there’s nothing wrong with tanking. It’s not like the good teams are intentionally doing it to get a high pick. It’s trash teams anyway. 

Tanking doesn't even work. Really the only team in the history of the NBA to use a tanking strategy and win a 'ship is the 2016 Cavs - and we dont get to R2 w/o signing a top 3 all time player in FA. The Thunder came close and drafted 3 MVPs in 3 straight years and still didn't. Third most successful is the 76ers and I'm skeptical they ever get anywhere.

Teams like GSW, Raptors, Celtics, Bucks, Nuggets, Clippers, Lakers - they never strategically bottomed out.

4 minutes ago, roger murdock said:

Tanking doesn't even work. Really the only team in the history of the NBA to use a tanking strategy and win a 'ship is the 2016 Cavs - and we dont get to R2 w/o signing a top 3 all time player in FA. The Thunder came close and drafted 3 MVPs in 3 straight years and still didn't. Third most successful is the 76ers and I'm skeptical they ever get anywhere.

Teams like GSW, Raptors, Celtics, Bucks, Nuggets, Clippers, Lakers - they never strategically bottomed out.

Whereas teams that aren’t good enough to win a title, but aren’t actually tanking and acquiring top talent (Utah, Memphis) go absolutely nowhere every year. 

39 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

There’s no perfect system and there’s nothing wrong with tanking. It’s not like the good teams are intentionally doing it to get a high pick. It’s trash teams anyway. 

It’s the NBAs way of helping larger markets. The best way for smaller markets to rebuild is via the draft. They’re not getting bigger name players.

So as result, the NBA tries to crush what little advantage they have to give larger market teams a equal shot of a high pick.

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

Whereas teams that aren’t good enough to win a title, but aren’t actually tanking and acquiring top talent (Utah, Memphis) go absolutely nowhere every year. 

These teams have actually done quiet well for themselves and are well positioned to potentially win a championship if things break right for them (see Warriors circa 2013-2014 or Raptors over last few years). They are only a few moves away and have tons of assets, experience, and talented players.

In the history of the NBA, only a few top picks have won a championship for the team that drafted them. Tim Duncan/David Robinson on the Spurs, Dwayne Wade for the Heat, and LeBron/Kyrie/Tristan for the Cavs (more FA than tanking, although we likely dont get LeBron without tanking). Only the Cavs tanked to get what they won with. The Spurs got insanely unlucky with injuries in 1997, and then got insanely lucky in the lotto or else they are off the record. Darko also won a title with the team that drafted him as a top-5 pick but he obviously have nothing to do with it.

Thats it for the history of the draft lotto.

12 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Roger is spot on.

The Cavs and Spurs are the only 2 teams that I’ve seen purposely tank and it actually work out. 

Yet both franchises needed a GOAT at their position to pull it off.

Spurs didnt even do it intentionally. They were a boarderline 60 win team that lost 3 of their 4 best players for most of the season.

Like if the Warriors win it all next year, and they damn well might, it wont be because they tanked.

Edited by roger murdock

4 minutes ago, roger murdock said:

Spurs didnt even do it intentionally. They were a boarderline 60 win team that lost 3 of their 4 best players for most of the season.

Like if the Warriors win it all next year, and they damn well might, it wont be because they tanked.

The spurs did it the year before Duncan. Robinson got hurt and was cleared to come back but they held him out to tank. 

2 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

The spurs did it the year before Duncan. Robinson got hurt and was cleared to come back but they held him out to tank. 

He missed 2 months with a back injury, came back, played like 5 games, and broke his foot. They weren't sitting him to lose on purpose. They were in the WCF the year before. Their intention going into that season wasn't to bottom out for Tim Duncan. It was literally to win a championship. They signed Dominic Wilkins in FA and resigned several of their top players to deals. They won 60ish games multiple years in a row. In a different world the Spurs are a 60-win team again that season.

• FGK changed the title to Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck