Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck

LETSGOBROWNIES

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

Well, we could certainly use another PG. 9_9

We can, cause we actually need a true PG tho. KPJ, Garland, and Sexton are not facilitators. It be great to see garland and KPJ playing with a guy like Ball, who can set them up. Ball could play the 1 and defend a 2 or 3 because of his size/length

12 hours ago, buno67 said:

We can, cause we actually need a true PG tho. KPJ, Garland, and Sexton are not facilitators. It be great to see garland and KPJ playing with a guy like Ball, who can set them up. Ball could play the 1 and defend a 2 or 3 because of his size/length

I mean, it’s not unusual for young players to be poor facilitators.

With experience and understanding of the game and what teams are trying to do defensively, that can improve a great deal.

I do think Sexton is a 6th man eventually though, instant offense off the bench.

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I mean, it’s not unusual for young players to be poor facilitators.

With experience and understanding of the game and what teams are trying to do defensively, that can improve a great deal.

I do think Sexton is a 6th man eventually though, instant offense off the bench.

I think Sexton is better than a 6th man. The way he played after the all star game was franchise pg caliber. I do think his defense improves. He shows effort and has good physical tools. I think he can get to at average.

I don’t have a lot of hope for garland though. He might be a 6th man someday once he gets more consistent. But his lack size and physical abilities will always hold him back on defense. And he doesn’t even look like an interested passer. He’s got a lot of Lou Williams in him. And that’s not always a good thing. 

1 minute ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I think Sexton is better than a 6th man. The way he played after the all star game was franchise pg caliber. I do think his defense improves. He shows effort and has good physical tools. I think he can get to at average.

oh he definitely could, I was looking more as a floor than anything.

These guys are stupid young.

I don’t have a lot of hope for garland though. He might be a 6th man someday once he gets more consistent. But his lack size and physical abilities will always hold him back on defense. And he doesn’t even look like an interested passer. He’s got a lot of Lou Williams in him. And that’s not always a good thing. 

He’s also 19 and didn’t play a lot of college ball.  He’s going to take some time, but he’s talented.

I think making any type of long term determination on these guys before year 3-4 is dumb tbh.

As far as the draft, just pick the best player.  It’s the NBA, you can always trade someone.  You don’t pass on talent for need or fit.

We need someone who passes and will take control of the offense. Lamelo is a great playmaker and very willing. His shot looks better  than his brothers coming out. His defense sucks now but he’s 6’7 so he has the size and length to eventually be able to switch 1-3. That’s incredibly rare for a Pg and allows you to hide smaller SGs ( like sexton) on a PG which is the only position his size and guard. 

• Like 2

We need someone who passes and will take control of the offense. Lamelo is a great playmaker and very willing. His shot looks better  than his brothers coming out. His defense sucks now but he’s 6’7 so he has the size and length to eventually be able to switch 1-3. That’s incredibly rare for a Pg and allows you to hide smaller SGs ( like sexton) on a PG which is the only position his size and guard. 

Yeah I wouldn’t hesitate to take him.

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

oh he definitely could, I was looking more as a floor than anything.

These guys are stupid young.

He’s also 19 and didn’t play a lot of college ball.  He’s going to take some time, but he’s talented.

I think making any type of long term determination on these guys before year 3-4 is dumb tbh.

As far as the draft, just pick the best player.  It’s the NBA, you can always trade someone.  You don’t pass on talent for need or fit.

Yes best player is usually the best way to go about things. This entire team could get torn down if we needed to and it really wouldn’t matter. I just don’t think this draft has that player. 

6 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Yes best player is usually the best way to go about things. This entire team could get torn down if we needed to and it really wouldn’t matter. I just don’t think this draft has that player. 

You never really know though.

No one thought Giannis, Kawhi, Klay, Curry, etc would be “that player” either.

There is something to be said for length and athleticism though, which this team needs desperately.

I love Onyeka Okongwu's potential. I also love Isaac Okoro.

Okoro is the best defensive wing I've seen in a long time. Incredibly physically gifted, very strong, plays hard, pokes balls away, blocks shots...he is a defensive stud. He can also get out in transition and do a lot of damage. He reminds me of Andre Iguodala.

Okongwu is just a physical beast. He's got length for days, runs the floor like a guard, and has surprising polish in and around the basket. He isn't a jump shooter at all, but will dominate running the rim and in the pick & roll game. He's also an elite shot blocker and is capable picking up a switch on the perimeter. Think Tristan Thompson, but that blocks shots and is a better athlete.

If we could somehow leave draft day with both of these guys, I'd be very happy. Trade away Love for some more help on the perimeter, sign a defensive guard and small forward, and we're talking 3/4 seed.

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

I love Onyeka Okongwu's potential. I also love Isaac Okoro.

Okoro is the best defensive wing I've seen in a long time. Incredibly physically gifted, very strong, plays hard, pokes balls away, blocks shots...he is a defensive stud. He can also get out in transition and do a lot of damage. He reminds me of Andre Iguodala.

Okongwu is just a physical beast. He's got length for days, runs the floor like a guard, and has surprising polish in and around the basket. He isn't a jump shooter at all, but will dominate running the rim and in the pick & roll game. He's also an elite shot blocker and is capable picking up a switch on the perimeter. Think Tristan Thompson, but that blocks shots and is a better athlete.

If we could somehow leave draft day with both of these guys, I'd be very happy. Trade away Love for some more help on the perimeter, sign a defensive guard and small forward, and we're talking 3/4 seed.

I’m for it. But no one is taking Love. 

• FGK changed the title to Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck