Cavaliers Thread: We Don’t Suck Again!

LETSGOBROWNIES

14 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

So not really contracts, but contract, singular, where the market may have saved (for argument’s sake) 3-4 million per year?  That’s the issue you’re talking about?

How does that impact us now?

It prolly be easier to trade him or potentially trade him. 

Also that 3-4million needs to be multipled by 4 but that impacts the tax Gilbert has to pay. So that’s 12 to 14m a year saved. Maybe that’s used on a vet looking for a playoff run. Maybe signing a younger guy to a min. Deal to see if he has potential. 

JR smith deal was over paid and he had no suitors going after him. 

Saying a few mill could of been huge for this team but of the tax multiplier and what Gilbert would of signed off on for other things potentially 

Edited by buno67

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 9:14 AM, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

What type of sign and trade could we work if he’s set to leave? LBJ for Reddick and a slew of picks?

Add in Korver for another pick to give LeBron another shooter?

I’m definitely petty enough that I’d happily help PHI if it meant crapping on Kyrie/Boston for the next few years.

I still say LBJ would look super weird in Philly but they would have to come up off of way more than just Reddick and picks, I probably would want Fultz to see if we could resurrect him as well

18 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Assuming Lebron leaves this offseason, try to trade Love for a 1st round pick.

The Clippers make sense. They have pick 12 and 13.

Man, forget try, he has no value to a team trying to rebuild, plus for some reason I think he might try to go back to Minnesota. If we can get a lottery pick for him or a decent young player for him, that would be a huge win.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, buno67 said:

Maybe, but you’re assuming he would have signed for less.  He had us by the short and curlies to some degree.  

Also that 3-4million needs to be multipled by 4 but that impacts the tax Gilbert has to pay. So that’s 12 to 14m a year saved. Maybe that’s used on a vet looking for a playoff run. Maybe signing a younger guy to a min. Deal to see if he has potential. 

Why on earth should I give a sht about Dan Gilbert’s bills?  When has he said no to paying anyone because of this (or any) deal?

How do you know this?  Who were we replacing him with? What vet min dude or rookie is better?

Saying a few mill could of been huge for this team but of the tax multiplier and what Gilbert would of signed off on for other things potentially 

No it wouldn’t.  It’d have been nice for Gilbert, but he’s spent freely regardless.  There is no way not signing those guys makes us a better team on the court.

1 hour ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I still say LBJ would look super weird in Philly but they would have to come up off of way more than just Reddick and picks, I probably would want Fultz to see if we could resurrect him as well

I can’t see them giving up on Fultz that quickly, that’d be nuts imo.

17 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I feel it, but in order to get the GOAT, you have to sacrifice something significant. I personally won't just give him up for free

He can just sign with them as a free agent though if he wanted.

This would just allow more money for LBJ.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, buno67 said:

Yeah the problem with the NBA is you are out of choices.

If you take the chance and try and pay someone you have bird-rights with less, you could anger them and they could walk.  Because you are already so far over the salary cap you can't find a replacement for them, so really your hands are tied.

I didn't necessarily agree with letting go of Mozgov because we had no other options as a true center.  I understood not wanting to pay that much for Delly though.

NBA salary cap is just dumb....

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

He can just sign with them as a free agent though if he wanted.

This would just allow more money for LBJ.  

Exactly....and since we, and Dan G are petty....Screw you, unless we can get something of value...

Only way I trade him...Otherwise, you wanna leave...you will be taking a huge pay cut if they can't outright sign you to the max.  I am not in the business of allowing another team to have a lottery ticket to the NBA finals and getting a worthless draft pick in 2023 & 2025.

4 minutes ago, malibuspeedrace said:

Exactly....and since we, and Dan G are petty....Screw you, unless we can get something of value...

Only way I trade him...Otherwise, you wanna leave...you will be taking a huge pay cut if they can't outright sign you to the max.  I am not in the business of allowing another team to have a lottery ticket to the NBA finals and getting a worthless draft pick in 2023 & 2025.

I’m not that petty, dude won us a ring.

Now Kyrie breaking up the band?  Then I’m that petty.

I WANT him set up nicely in Philly just to crap on Kyrie tbh.

On 5/29/2018 at 4:07 PM, ohiogenius said:

Well JR apparently is effectively an expiring contract since his last year only 5 mil is guaranteed.

Korver is too but I dont see us moving him unless its to match salaries 

Honestly Ty Lue is such a crappy and stubborn coach that we honestly will fare worse that we should in this play offs.

We need to put Rodney Hood and Cedi Osman in for defense at the very least and give our old guys some break.

If we expect Jeff Green to guard Durant all game then dont expect him to score. After watching Houston play their *** off against KD on defense, they looked exhausted on the offensive end.  

-JR and Hill both have nearly non-guaranteed contracts in their final year. I anticipate us keeping them both next year, and doubt unless we had a disaster start to the season that we would trade them mid-season. You're looking at two guys with about $36 million in contract value with less than $5 million of that guaranteed. To a team in cap issues, or wanting to try and sign a big free agent, I could see them both going and being waived immediately, and in return we could get some talent back, or future draft picks, both of which are things we could use. 

-Korver I don't see going anywhere. 

-Lue can be upgraded, but he hasn't been the problem necessarily. The fact that we have won two playoff series by playing absolute solid defense when we were so bad all season long says a lot. That's one of the reasons why I am not counting us out for the title. We have gone through some terrible shooting slumps yet still found ways to win by playing defense. I'd be fine getting another coach, but only if it's a top tier candidate, no settling just to change. 

-Osman I can support. Hood, I'd give him a couple of minutes, and if he doesn't contribute anything he's back on the bench. He has been completely burned defensively for us, and where he should be thriving, by being a scorer off the bench, but he hasn't shot nor scored well. Cedi is solid defensively and has actually contributed more offensively than Hood when given PT.

-Durant is going to get his. Just like LeBron. I think we make it tough on Durant by guarding by committee. Limit his driving to the basket, make him take contested perimeter shots. We have length that can at least impede him from having clear shots every time. That's what excites me about who we have player wise. George Hill is one of the longer pg's in the league. He can at least impact Steph some both limiting his penetration as well as getting in his face when taking jumpers. Larry Nance is athletic enough to move around and contest shots around the perimeter. We are older overall, yes, but I think we are more athletic than we have been in the past. 

On 5/29/2018 at 4:36 PM, candyman93 said:

Assuming Lebron leaves this offseason, try to trade Love for a 1st round pick.

The Clippers make sense. They have pick 12 and 13.

Jerry West isn’t doing that. Doc rivers isn’t running the clippers anymore. They want to go young with cost controlled players. 

I think the best we can hope for is trading love plus 8 for CJ McCullum. Portland needs a change. 

14 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Jerry West isn’t doing that. Doc rivers isn’t running the clippers anymore. They want to go young with cost controlled players. 

I think the best we can hope for is trading love plus 8 for CJ McCullum. Portland needs a change. 

I love McCullum, but that’s an overpay imo.

Edited by LETSGOBROWNIES
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I love McCullum, but that’s an overpay imo.

I don’t think so at all. I think he’s the next all star caliber player to take a giant leap if he can go to a team where he’s the lead guard. 8 is very hit or miss. You’re missing out on the top level prospects there and love doesn’t have much trade value at all anymore. We couldn’t even get Denver to give us Gary Harris and Jamal Murray for him. If Lebron leaves love will most likely follow the following summer. He’s not really worth trying to build around or with at his age with his injuries. CJ can grow with the new team. Kinda like harden and dipo did when they went to Houston and Indy.