Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck

LETSGOBROWNIES

42 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Yeah the fact that you can load up your team with as much talent as Golden State has is ridiculous. The salary cap is essentially useless if you can build up squads like that.

They just got lucky. That they hit on Steph Klay and Green. With the biggest being Steph and his ankle injuries. Because of those injuries Curry never signed a big 2nd contract. It left enough room to make a play for Durant. If Curry signed a max deal for a 2nd contract they would of never had enough space. Also add that the cap got a huge bump that year too. It was a perfect storm for GSW. 

They really need a franchise tag in the NBA tho. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

Yeah the fact that you can load up your team with as much talent as Golden State has is ridiculous. The salary cap is essentially useless if you can build up squads like that.

Cry about it. They actually drafted most of their team. Even if they didn't draft them most of the veteran pick ups were roster filler types not big free agent splashed. They signed 1 big star. The Cavs signed LeBron James and traded for Kevin Love. Cleveland is far more guilty of making a mockery of the salary cap than Golden State they have been trying to buy a championship for years.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheeRealDeal said:

Cry about it. They actually drafted most of their team. Even if they didn't draft them most of the veteran pick ups were roster filler types not big free agent splashed. They signed 1 big star. The Cavs signed LeBron James and traded for Kevin Love. Cleveland is far more guilty of making a mockery of the salary cap than Golden State they have been trying to buy a championship for years.

lol a team with 3 superstars shouldn't be in the position to add a top 3 NBA player to their squad.

Not sure how you don't see the difference between what Golden State did and what the Cavs did.

LeBron/Love/Irving/Smith/Thompson

is not even close to the same thing as:

Curry/Thompson/Green/Durant/Iguodala

6 hours ago, TheeRealDeal said:

He's right about gs drafting most of their team. Steph klay draymond bell looney all drafted by gs not all luck like ppl think that's good scouting. Yes they signed kd he's the 2nd best player on planet behind lebron but he chose to go there and I saw I post saying warriors are lucky they don't have Steph on a max deal. Please look up his deal now. Yes he signed for less early but he's on a max deal. Now something like 240 mil total? Being in the bay I've seen this team come together and most of the key prices (all but 1 *superstar* players have Been drafted by the team.) cavs are done this year and what I am hoping for is cavs front office/ownership are smart and let lebron decide to add certain players via free agency and also draft I believe 8th pick? So he stays there cuz if not I think he's off to Philly. He isn't coming to the west since no shot at finals there

1 hour ago, BaYArEa32 said:

He's right about gs drafting most of their team. Steph klay draymond bell looney all drafted by gs not all luck like ppl think that's good scouting. Yes they signed kd he's the 2nd best player on planet behind lebron but he chose to go there and I saw I post saying warriors are lucky they don't have Steph on a max deal. Please look up his deal now. Yes he signed for less early but he's on a max deal. Now something like 240 mil total? Being in the bay I've seen this team come together and most of the key prices (all but 1 *superstar* players have Been drafted by the team.) cavs are done this year and what I am hoping for is cavs front office/ownership are smart and let lebron decide to add certain players via free agency and also draft I believe 8th pick? So he stays there cuz if not I think he's off to Philly. He isn't coming to the west since no shot at finals there

It’s not all on scouting. Ppl thought Klay and Curry would be good but the level they are playing at is crazy. Also Draymond was a 2nd rd pick. If Scouting was that high on him he would of been a 1st rounder. Green could potentially go down as one of the best 2nd rd picks ever. 

Luck plays a part but isn’t the whole part. Got lucky that curry was hurt enough to never get a max deal for a 2nd contract. Lucky enough that the year they pursue Durant the Cap gets a huge bump and lucky they the good players they drafted became elite players. 

You could say scouting all you want but the way they hit on Klay Steph and Green shows it was more than scouting. You have never seen a front office hit on players like that. Also Looney and Bell are not that great at all. 

6 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

lol a team with 3 superstars shouldn't be in the position to add a top 3 NBA player to their squad.

Not sure how you don't see the difference between what Golden State did and what the Cavs did.

LeBron/Love/Irving/Smith/Thompson

is not even close to the same thing as:

Curry/Thompson/Green/Durant/Iguodala

They earned the right because they drafted those super stars and they were on cheep deals.

I don't know how you don't see that but then again I have been reading your post a long time so maybe I do understand.

Cavs fans have taken on too much of LeBron's whinny cry baby attitude.

Golden State built a better franchise fair and square and they have won 3 of 4 over Cleveland fair and square.

2 hours ago, buno67 said:

It’s not all on scouting. Ppl thought Klay and Curry would be good but the level they are playing at is crazy. Also Draymond was a 2nd rd pick. If Scouting was that high on him he would of been a 1st rounder. Green could potentially go down as one of the best 2nd rd picks ever. 

Luck plays a part but isn’t the whole part. Got lucky that curry was hurt enough to never get a max deal for a 2nd contract. Lucky enough that the year they pursue Durant the Cap gets a huge bump and lucky they the good players they drafted became elite players. 

You could say scouting all you want but the way they hit on Klay Steph and Green shows it was more than scouting. You have never seen a front office hit on players like that. Also Looney and Bell are not that great at all. 

Scouting played a much bigger role in Golden State building their team and picking said players that made them good than it did for Cleveland who got the option of picking the greatest high school prospect of all time or well no one else. A monkey with down syndrome could have made the right call there. Lets not pretend like the team even did any type of real scouting that year.

If the Cavs were loaded with 4 superstars even if they signed them all from other squads no one in Cleveland would be crying unfair.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheeRealDeal said:

Scouting played a much bigger role in Golden State building their team and picking said players that made them good than it did for Cleveland who got the option of picking the greatest high school prospect of all time or well no one else. A monkey with down syndrome could have made the right call there. Lets not pretend like the team even did any type of real scouting that year.

If the Cavs were loaded with 4 superstars even if they signed them all from other squads no one in Cleveland would be crying unfair.

Really you look at it, just about every major title has been won becaus of a major player was brought on by a deal or signed. 

Lakers signed shaq

pistons only drafted Prince in that core  

boston trades for KG and Allen

miami signed/traded for James and Bosh

boston will win with signing Gordon and trading for Irving. 

GSW signed Iggy which helped win the 1st title and signed Durant. 

Only team that really had won without a major impact from a non drafted player was the spurs. They home grown Parker and Manu and Drafted Duncan  

So you can say GSW got lucky cause there talent greatly exceed expectations and got lucky to be able to sign Durant.

basically in the NBA you win by making the right move if it’s by trade or signing in FA

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TheeRealDeal said:

LeBron has been trying to take a short cut to a championship his entire career and Cavs fans praise him. Golden State builds through the draft and OMG its so unfair to have such a stacked team.

Go jump in the lake with Hue.

lol @ you. Your takes are bad. You should feel bad.

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

lol @ you. Your takes are bad. You should feel bad.

Yeah, gotta agree with BTC on this (minus the insults).

GS/CLE was looking like it would be one of the coolest rivalries in basketball history after 2016. 1-1 with both rosters sustainable for a few years. Coulda been an epic rivalry. And then the greatest regular season team in NBA history added a top 2-3 player in the league because of the Players Association refused to smooth the cap effects of a new CBA. Like, I appreciate your list @buno67, but this was a once in a lifetime level quirk that allowed them to have the cap space coming off a 73-9 season to sign a max player and maintain their entire roster except for one role player. That is what was unprecedented. Great players typically do need other good players to win. The unusual part of it was the great player joining a team that was already clearly the best in the league overall. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Yeah, gotta agree with BTC on this (minus the insults).

GS/CLE was looking like it would be one of the coolest rivalries in basketball history after 2016. 1-1 with both rosters sustainable for a few years. Coulda been an epic rivalry. And then the greatest regular season team in NBA history added a top 2-3 player in the league because of the Players Association refused to smooth the cap effects of a new CBA. Like, I appreciate your list @buno67, but this was a once in a lifetime level quirk that allowed them to have the cap space coming off a 73-9 season to sign a max player and maintain their entire roster except for one role player. That is what was unprecedented. Great players typically do need other good players to win. The unusual part of it was the great player joining a team that was already clearly the best in the league overall. 

My list was to show that truly to win titles or make runs at titles, you are making trades or signing legit talent. GSW hit the jackpot hitting on 3 players in 4 drafts that have become elite players. No team has ever done that. Yet was still close to with Cleveland and to truly separate Themselves they signed Durant  saying they got lucky to sign him like you said to go along with curry not being on a max deal. Again GSW doesn’t sign Iggy Cleveland prolly wins that first year. 

Just saying title contenders and champs are not built through the draft. They are built and formed through trades and FAs

• FGK changed the title to Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck