Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck

LETSGOBROWNIES

How much can a player improve their ball handling in 3 years? Can they go from below average or worse to good or even really good?

To me, that's the primary question and issue with De'Andre Hunter.

His game suffers terribly from an inability to create and shoot off the dribble because he doesn't have the ball-handling ability to get to his spots, get to where he wants to go,  or the ability to separate from his defender. Once/If he can substantially improve in that area a la Kawhi Leonard (who doesn't have a superior handle but can methodically get to his spots) his game will elevate to the star impact player heights.

He also lacks the awareness and vision to create for others in part due to his inability to move where he wants to quickly with a live dribble and advanced handle but also in part due to his lack of advanced feel for the game. As a Combo-Forward that's just not his game, and that's okay. His ceiling is as a 3&D scorer with in the post versatility.

If he can improve his handle and feel for the game, he's going to be a tremendous player.

------------

My Final Final Final Day of Draft Cavs-Centric Prospect Draft Rankings:

Tier I:

1.) Goga Bitadze, C Rep. of Georgia

2.) Coby White, CG North Carolina

3.) Darius Garland, PG Vanderbilt

4.) DeAndre Hunter, SF/CF Virginia

Tier II:

5.) Romeo Langford, SG Indiana

6.) Jarrett Culver, SG Texas Tech

7.) Cam Reddish, SG/SF Duke

8.) Sekou Doumbouya, SF/CF France

9.) Nassir Little, SF North Carolina

10.) Kevin Porter Jr., SG USC

11.) Nicolas Claxton, PF/C Georgia

12.)  Luguentz Dort, CG Arizona State 

-----------------

We win the night if we draft: Goga Bitadze + Coby White // Darius Garland // DeAndre Hunter // Romeo Langford // Jarrett Culver ( in that order )

Edited by Mind Character

19 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Also all of my insight should be taken with a grain of salt.

I have a great eye for football talent. My basketball scouting talent is horrendous apparently, as I hardly ever hit on a player.

Basketball is difficult to project. Unlike other sports, you ask a guy to contribute to offense and defense.

17 hours ago, BrownsDog23 said:

My final big board for Cavs with ceiling/floor comparisons 

Jarett Culver- Jimmy Butler/Evan Turner

Cam Reddish- Paul George/Rodney Hood

Darius Garland- Kemba Walker/Jeff Teague

DeAndre Hunter- Loul Deng/Trevor Ariza 

Yeah I agree and want nothing to do with a Loul Deng at 5

Ill take that risk with Culver or Reddish

also man I want Kevin Porter Jr or Nassir I really believe we can get 2 of those 4

1 hour ago, brownie man said:

also man I want Kevin Porter Jr or Nassir I really believe we can get 2 of those 4

The player that intrigues me the most in terms of upside is Nassir Little, SF/PF/CF North Carolina. He has the length and ability to guard positions 1-4 and upside skill to be a plus shooter and slasher.

He has the most beautiful and replicable raw shooting mechanics (despite being a really poor shooter now with mechanical breakdowns) of those thought to be considered in the top 12 outside of Darius Garland. Already, he is going to come into the league as an elite defender. He was inconsistent, but when he was locked he was an impressive energy motor guy with offensive rebound and defensive rebounding to the fast break elite impact.

His ball handling is rudimentary and not good at all. If he develops a handle to get to his spots, he has an even higher upside than De'Andre Hunter. Both lack the feel to the game and vision you'd like, but Hunter has offensive versatility with back to the basket and floaters. Hunter is just further along offensively at this point and in terms of feel.

I'd be thrilled if we got Nassir in a trade down picking up an additional pick.

My perfect draft is a trade down with ATL then us picking Goga Bitadze and Nassir LIttle with our first 2 picks; then, selecting a high upside SG with our last pick or via trade up in Romeo Langford or Kevin Porter Jr.

Tremendous young starting lineup...

PG/CG: Collin Sexton

SG: Kevin Porter Jr. --OR-- Romeo Langford

CF: Cedi Osman

CF: Nassir Little

C: Goga Bitadze

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Awful? Absolutely not. He’s very good at drive and kicks. He did a great job all playoffs of that. He’s not a great passer but not awful. 

What do you call having almost as many turnovers as you do assists? Heck he had several games where he had more turnovers than assists.

1 minute ago, candyman93 said:

What do you call having almost as many turnovers as you do assists? Heck he had several games where he had more turnovers than assists.

Look at the leaders in turnovers every year. It’s always elite players who are good passers who have the ball in their hands most of the games. Turnovers are a bad way to judge a passer. Just a high usage rate. 

I'm All in on the Trade down with ATL then selecting Goga Bitadze and Nassir LIttle with our first 2 picks; then, selecting a high upside SG with our last pick or via trade up in Romeo Langford or Kevin Porter Jr as Langford or Porter Jr are as good if not better of a gamble than Culver or White as SG options and Nassir Little is as good or better of a longterm prospect gamble as De'Andre Hunter.

Goga is just Goga and is the truth.

Make it happen Kolby... 

Edited by Mind Character

27 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Look at the leaders in turnovers every year. It’s always elite players who are good passers who have the ball in their hands most of the games. Turnovers are a bad way to judge a passer. Just a high usage rate. 

He averages 3 assists a game.

How on earth does that make any sense

2 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Because the world doesn’t revolve around box score stats. Watch him play. He can pass. 

I do watch him play and I’ve seen him make terrible passes. He drives and gets uncomfortable when he tries to kick out and pass.

• FGK changed the title to Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck