Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck

LETSGOBROWNIES

I think defense in the NBA is about three things. Athleticism, Effort, and Scheme. I trust Belein to have a decent enough scheme, but I'm not sure about the other two components. Which is fine for now while we are in tank mode. But will be something to watch out for long term.

3 hours ago, freakygeniuskid said:

I think defense in the NBA is about three things. Athleticism, Effort, and Scheme. I trust Belein to have a decent enough scheme, but I'm not sure about the other two components. Which is fine for now while we are in tank mode. But will be something to watch out for long term.

Length is incredibly important too and we have none.

11 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I still think nance can defend. Idk what happened to him last year. 

Its what happens to every other player in basketball when they start focusing on offensive development more--their defense suffers. Larry Nance was a rock solid defender when he was a role player but last year he tried to work all summer on his jumper and offensive game to take a next step and since he was focusing on the offensive end as well, his defense dipped from his 1st year in CLE. Kawhi Leonard did the same thing his last year in SA. As soon as he became the primary playmaker on offense, his defense suffered a bit. Not to crazy levels, but Kawhi for the last 2-3 years is not the same defender as he was earlier when he was more of a developing role player around Manu/Parker/Duncan

Same with LBJ a few years back. When he hit 30-31 years old he could no longer be a force on both ends of the floor and since all of those Cavs teams desperately needed his offense, he focused all of his energy there and didnt go all out on defense like in his MIA days.

Edited by AkronsWitness

I think Young Bull will become a much better defender this year.  Last year he was developing his offensive game to be more efficient because it was needed and there was no defensive scheme to play in so it was bad for everyone on the team.  He has the athleticism needed and obviously has shown the willingness to put the effort in to improve his game however possible, now he just needs the system.

30 minutes ago, Raves said:

I think Young Bull will become a much better defender this year.  Last year he was developing his offensive game to be more efficient because it was needed and there was no defensive scheme to play in so it was bad for everyone on the team.  He has the athleticism needed and obviously has shown the willingness to put the effort in to improve his game however possible, now he just needs the system.

Agreed, he has the body type and mentality I feel like to become a very solid defender in 2-3 years from now once everything slows down and he works on his frame to add more muscle. He obviously has the quickness, he just needs to work on his upper body strength to stay in front of people. He was 19 years old last year lol

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Raves said:

I would hope he would become a better defender this season compared to last. You can’t get much worse. By far the worst defensive guard in the league last year out of guys who played a decent amount of minutes. 

19 minutes ago, buno67 said:

I would hope he would become a better defender this season compared to last. You can’t get much worse. By far the worst defensive guard in the league last year out of guys who played a decent amount of minutes. 

I thought D was one of his strengths in college?

1 hour ago, bruceb said:

I thought D was one of his strengths in college?

You could tell he struggles a lot with pick and rolls, knowing when to switch, the mental side of defense, ect. I never thought he was physically not trying hard enough or whatever, I just saw that he often got confused with defensive sets and where to be/what to do. It was almost like he was overthinking just chasing guys.

25 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

You could tell he struggles a lot with pick and rolls, knowing when to switch, the mental side of defense, ect. I never thought he was physically not trying hard enough or whatever, I just saw that he often got confused with defensive sets and where to be/what to do. It was almost like he was overthinking just chasing guys.

Which is easy to have happen when you get 0 coaching because the HC didn't want to be the HC and the team was in full tank mode.  Almost no one was properly switching or anything else on the defensive side last year, it wasn't just him.

31 minutes ago, Raves said:

Which is easy to have happen when you get 0 coaching because the HC didn't want to be the HC and the team was in full tank mode.  Almost no one was properly switching or anything else on the defensive side last year, it wasn't just him.

Agreed, its also because as long as I have been posting to random strangers on message boards that I cannot remember the last time the Cavs had a legit interior defense to challenge guards driving to the hoop. A guy like Al Horford or Rudy Gorbert playing on the Cavs is a dream. Prime Zydrunas was the last time I saw a legit defensive big on the Cavs. 

Edited by AkronsWitness

4 hours ago, Raves said:

We're back to talking about Hue Jackson, right?

2 hours ago, NateDawg said:

We're back to talking about Hue Jackson, right?

I wouldn't know.  My NFL team's coach wants to be where he is and has been for 13 years.  Come to think of it, he might be the 2nd longest active coach/team pairing, maybe 3rd.

22 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Length is incredibly important too and we have none.

Yeah, I was kinda thinking of that as a component of athleticism, and while they're often connected it definitely makes sense to separate them.

• FGK changed the title to Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck