Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck

LETSGOBROWNIES

1 hour ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Completely agree. Jeff green and RJ were the best we had during that time and even at their level they made a huge difference. Imagine how much better we would have been if we had a starting level SF behind lebron. I always wanted joe Johnson. He would have been a massive upgrade. 

ISO Joe never wanted to play with LeBron.

44 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I think the fear with toppin is that he can’t play the 3. He doesn’t have the lateral movement or ball handling. He’s an undersized 4. Like Blake griffin 

Yeah I get that part, he is just such a tempting product because of how well rounded his game is already and all of the other guys at the top like Ball or Deni have massive holes in their games. I look at him and immediately think of current Aaron Gordon from Orlando or a more refined Larry Nance Jr. Hes sort of a tweener between 3 and 4 but with the NBA going 'positionless' nowadays I dont think he would have a problem finding a fit.

Toppin could play the 3 normally or the 4 if you went to a small ball lineup. Esentially being a perimeter version of Nance Jr. with more dribble drive capability and outside shooting.

I know the Cavs want to shoot for the moon but to me Toppin is the safest prospect at the top of this draft. If he hits, he could become a better version of Aaron Gordon, if he fails then you still have a useful rotation guy in the mold of Larry Nance Jr. The Cavs cant afford to swing and miss on another top 5 prospect in the draft so I would prefer the 'safe' guy

Edited by AkronsWitness

4 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I don’t think it’s that. He took every last dollar he could. Miami was able to offer him the MLE when he got bought out. 

Well they wanted Johnson hard back in what ‘05, he stayed in Atlanta to stay being the guy instead of being #2 with LBJ. Cavs had to settle for Hughes instead 

13 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Well they wanted Johnson hard back in what ‘05, he stayed in Atlanta to stay being the guy instead of being #2 with LBJ. Cavs had to settle for Hughes instead 

Joe Johnson left the suns for the hawks in 05. There was no Cleveland rumors. We wanted ray Allen or Michael Reed

2 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Joe Johnson left the suns for the hawks in 05. There was no Cleveland rumors. We wanted ray Allen or Michael Reed

James has said in an article a few years ago how he tried to recruit guys during his first stint in Cleveland and specifically named Johnson 

Johnson was able to work a sign and trade to the hawks to get more money than what Cleveland could have offered. 

Cleveland wanted to land one of Allen Johnson or Redd but had to settle for Hughes. No one wanted to leave their chance at being the #1 guy

On 7/12/2020 at 11:18 AM, FGK said:

Point guard and Center are the slowest developing positions.

Lamelo is an okay PG with good length who can't shoot. Why the poop am I moving my other two young PGs (one of whom looked pretty good at the end of the year) for less than their value so that I can draft a PG who can't shoot?

If we're top 2 it's Edwards or Wiseman. We're gonna be bad for one more year at least, might as well swing for a star.

Edwards scares the crap out of me, his profile with pros/cons is literally almost identical to Dion Waiters. Inconsistent threat who forces his shots and has a low BBIQ. 

As for Wiseman I wouldnt mind him--but what do you do with Drummond? The Cavs said he was in their future plans so how do you balance him and a top 3 pick in the draft unless you just never plan on resigning him.

• FGK changed the title to Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck