Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck

LETSGOBROWNIES

18 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

this is who we need. Screw the rest of our team. They’re all expendable. He’s got elite talent and height at his position. 

... We're scouting based on youtube workout videos now? Yeesh.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Edwards scares the crap out of me, his profile with pros/cons is literally almost identical to Dion Waiters. Inconsistent threat who forces his shots and has a low BBIQ. 

As for Wiseman I wouldnt mind him--but what do you do with Drummond? The Cavs said he was in their future plans so how do you balance him and a top 3 pick in the draft unless you just never plan on resigning him.

Drummond was us throwing %$#@ against the wall and seeing if it stuck. I guarantee they are not hardcore with Drummond as their long term C. He's an experiment, we'll see from there. He's certainly gonna keep me from drafting a BPA center FAR LESS than Sexton pushes me away from ball dominant guards.

I could see that on Edwards, but he's also somewhat D-Wade-ish (which I think is what we were hoping for on Waiters when we took him. Shows that the draft/player development is a crap shoot.)

I like the out of the box guys who have been brought up. IMO this is the year to have a bunch of picks in the 6-18 range rather than one pick at 1/2/3. I get an Bennett draft vibe, where the best guy is gonna be someone who goes 6-15 and hits and the top guys are all gonna be disappointments for their draft slot.

6 minutes ago, FGK said:

Drummond was us throwing %$#@ against the wall and seeing if it stuck. I guarantee they are not hardcore with Drummond as their long term C. He's an experiment, we'll see from there. He's certainly gonna keep me from drafting a BPA center FAR LESS than Sexton pushes me away from ball dominant guards.

I could see that on Edwards, but he's also somewhat D-Wade-ish (which I think is what we were hoping for on Waiters when we took him. Shows that the draft/player development is a crap shoot.)

I like the out of the box guys who have been brought up. IMO this is the year to have a bunch of picks in the 6-18 range rather than one pick at 1/2/3. I get an Bennett draft vibe, where the best guy is gonna be someone who goes 6-15 and hits and the top guys are all gonna be disappointments for their draft slot.

Agreed. This draft is horrible and I hate it. I am trying to find a Kawhi Leonard type in this draft from a prospect standpoint. Remember when he was coming out he was known as a good defender that rebounded well but had tons of questions with his offensive game with how underdeveloped it was.

Okoro in this draft reminds me of that type of guy. Take him for his defense and leadership and pray he figures out his way on offense in a year or two. I also dont think the Cavs are really hurting on offense, they have young guys and veterans who have no problem scoring---their problem is that outside of KPJ and Drummond there isnt a single other player in the rotation who even thinks about the defensive side.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Giannis was scouted on YouTube videos... Am I suppose to go watch him in person?

15 minutes ago, FGK said:

... We're scouting based on youtube workout videos now? Yeesh.

Reemphasized for reading comprehension.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Agreed. This draft is horrible and I hate it. I am trying to find a Kawhi Leonard type in this draft from a prospect standpoint. Remember when he was coming out he was known as a good defender that rebounded well but had tons of questions with his offensive game with how underdeveloped it was.

Okoro in this draft reminds me of that type of guy. Take him for his defense and leadership and pray he figures out his way on offense in a year or two. I also dont think the Cavs are really hurting on offense, they have young guys and veterans who have no problem scoring---their problem is that outside of KPJ and Drummond there isnt a single other player in the rotation who even thinks about the defensive side.

I'll have to watch some more of him. Barely remember seeing him during the season (and that feels so long ago). I LOVED Kawhi that draft, probably because I tend to focus more on guys' upside and special sauce skill rather than their weaknesses. I might have to shift that based on our current coaching atmosphere. Bleh.

5 minutes ago, FGK said:

Reemphasized for reading comprehension.

I’ve already watched plenty of game film on him. One of his biggest question makes has been athleticism. He’s made a large jump from last year. This workout video shows it. 

Edited by sdrawkcab321

23 minutes ago, FGK said:

I'll have to watch some more of him. Barely remember seeing him during the season (and that feels so long ago). I LOVED Kawhi that draft, probably because I tend to focus more on guys' upside and special sauce skill rather than their weaknesses. I might have to shift that based on our current coaching atmosphere. Bleh.

Whats your opinion on Okongwu? I feel if the Cavs get screwed again and drop to 5-6 range he would be a great prize for missing out of Wisemen.

Little bit of Bam Adebayo in his game

Edited by AkronsWitness

On 7/14/2020 at 4:33 PM, candyman93 said:

Toppin is the worst player in the lottery. He’s going to bust hard.

Uhhh what? Why do you say this? He’s incredibly efficient at all levels, passes very well for a big man, and is an elite finisher at the rim. 

The only thing that is annoying about him is his lack of effort defensively or on the glass. And he’s a little older. But those are fixable traits. He’s at least going to be an offensive dynamo.

19 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Still is. Love gets pushed around like a punk he’s about 230. Even draymond is at least 240. You need some size without compromising quickness. 

Love gets bullied because he's not strong, not because he's light in the pants. Love is built like a preschool girl. Toppin has plenty of muscle on his frame to bang with the bigs down low. Can he defend a true center? Probably not, but how many of those guys exist in the NBA anymore?

Report: Chicago Bulls Make 'Significant Offer' for Kevin Love

Obi Toppin's Dayton highlights prove he is a top 5 NBA prospect ...

Plus, Toppin has explosion in his lower body, whereas Kevin Love has the vertical leap of a cinder block. You have to be able to get off your feet quickly to bother shots. Love can't hold the point of attack, can't shuffle his feet quickly, nor can he leap and affect shots.

Edited by BleedTheClock
  • Like 1

Give me Deni Avdija. He's the perfect fit for this team. He is a high basketball IQ guy that excels on both sides of the floor. He has professional experience and has improved mightily in the past year. He's capaTradeble of defending 3, maybe 4 positions in the NBA and is an elite passer for a big. His basketball IQ gets him easy buckets for himself and his teammates.

We lack a facilitator between Garland and Sexton. Get Avdija out there with these guys so they can run off Love and Drummond screens. Let Avdija set them up. Plus, Avdija is 6'9 and strongly built. He has post game savvy and can bully smaller 3's.

My ideal realistic off-season would be:

1. Trade Dante Exum & pick #2 to the Knicks for #4 & their 2021 1st.
2. Draft Deni Avdija, SF, Israel, #4 overall.
3. Sign Osasumwen Osaghae, C, FIU, as an UDFA.
4. Sign DeAnthony Melton, SG, in Free Agency.
5. Re-Sign Tristan Thompson, C, to a team-friendly deal...or find a backup C (Nerlens Noel, Jahlil Okafor?) on the cheap.
6. Bring back Matthew Dellavedova, PG, for a league minimum deal.

PG: Collin Sexton/Darius Garland/Matthew Dellavedova
SG: DeAnthony Melton/Kevin Porter/Matt Mooney
SF: Deni Avdija/Cedi Osman/Dylan Windler
PF: Kevin Love/Larry Nance/Dean Wade
C:  Andre Drummond/Tristan Thompson/Osasumwen Osaghae

That squad makes the playoffs as a 4-5 seed at least IMO.

17 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Uhhh what? Why do you say this? He’s incredibly efficient at all levels, passes very well for a big man, and is an elite finisher at the rim. 

The only thing that is annoying about him is his lack of effort defensively or on the glass. And he’s a little older. But those are fixable traits. He’s at least going to be an offensive dynamo.

The only legit knocks I see on him is that yes he is a little older similar to Dylan Windler last season and it does seem he lacks a little bit of lateral quickness because hes sort of a tweener. 

Outside of that he has size, offensive skill at all 3 levels and athletisism to become a very very high floor type of player in the NBA for 10+ years.

1 minute ago, AkronsWitness said:

The only legit knocks I see on him is that yes he is a little older similar to Dylan Windler last season and it does seem he lacks a little bit of lateral quickness because hes sort of a tweener. 

Outside of that he has size, offensive skill at all 3 levels and athletisism to become a very very high floor type of player in the NBA for 10+ years.

Yeah I want someone else because I don't think adding another freaking dude that doesn't give effort on defense would be a mistake. However, he's not going to bust. He has too many things in his offensive arsenal to be a complete flame-out.

• FGK changed the title to Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck