Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck

LETSGOBROWNIES

@BleedTheClock Deni is a good prospect that certainly has gotten better since their season restarted. He is just really hard to pin down as to what level could he actually achieve.

He doesnt have the explosion to dominate on dribble/drives, hes not the passer or floor general Luka Doncic is and he isnt as purely talented coming out as Danilo Gallanari----so he just really is an enigma in terms of what he is supposed to be or a overseas comparison for him. I read that he is actually most similar to Hedo Turkoglu in terms of development and strengths. 

Its hard to project his ceiling given that he really doesnt have any dominant traits but is good at a lot of things.

8 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Yeah I want someone else because I don't think adding another freaking dude that doesn't give effort on defense would be a mistake. However, he's not going to bust. He has too many things in his offensive arsenal to be a complete flame-out.

Right I want defense too but the other options at the top of this draft like Ball/Deni/Edwards are all really questionable defenders as well and Toppin isnt nearly as bad as they are. At least Toppin has the physical tools to be a good defender with effort.

A part of me also belives Toppin never reached his full potential defensively because its hard to really go 1000 mph on that end when Dayton was blowing out every other team they played by 30.

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

Deni

Avdija is an excellent defender. Especially down in the low post. He is a little slow-footed, but he plays hard on every possession and is an excellent shot contester/blocker for his position. He has the length to defend any F in the NBA and has the strength to handle guys that might try to bully him under the rim. His best trait is going up vertically and stifling guys going for layups or dunks. He uses the rule of verticality better than anyone I've seen coming out of college.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Avdija is an excellent defender. Especially down in the low post. He is a little slow-footed, but he plays hard on every possession and is an excellent shot contester/blocker for his position. He has the length to defend any F in the NBA and has the strength to handle guys that might try to bully him under the rim. His best trait is going up vertically and stifling guys going for layups or dunks. He uses the rule of verticality better than anyone I've seen coming out of college.

Ill take your word for it, just watching him he looks like a better version of Cedi Osman to me lol play style and all

Edited by AkronsWitness

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

Ill take your word for it, just watching him he looks like a better version of Cedi Osman to me lol play style and all

Avdija is just smoother in everything outside of maybe shooting numbers. Osman plays like his hair is on fire—in a bad way. Avdija is refined and just knows how to play the game. He knows when to cut, when to help on pick & rolls, when to rotate, how to use screens...he’s mastered the little things at only 18 years old. He’s going to get even better. His shot percentage isn’t great, bur his form is damn near perfect. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

Avdija is just smoother in everything outside of maybe shooting numbers. Osman plays like his hair is on fire—in a bad way. Avdija is refined and just knows how to play the game. He knows when to cut, when to help on pick & rolls, when to rotate, how to use screens...he’s mastered the little things at only 18 years old. He’s going to get even better. His shot percentage isn’t great, bur his form is damn near perfect. 

Avdija is definitely in the group of 10-12 guys who could absolutely come out of this draft as the best player in 5-10 years. 

51 minutes ago, FGK said:

Avdija is definitely in the group of 10-12 guys who could absolutely come out of this draft as the best player in 5-10 years. 

Yeah and I don't think there has been anybody more linked to the Cavs draft process than him soooooo it's something to be on the lookout for.

Is it weird that I'm more sold on guys that are projected to go 4-8 than I am guys that are projected to go 1-3? Hahaha I seriously think I like Toppin/Okoro/Okongwu/Deni more than I like Ball/Wiseman/Edwards

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 3

59 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Yeah and I don't think there has been anybody more linked to the Cavs draft process than him soooooo it's something to be on the lookout for.

Is it weird that I'm more sold on guys that are projected to go 4-8 than I am guys that are projected to go 1-3? Hahaha I seriously think I like Toppin/Okoro/Okongwu/Deni more than I like Ball/Wiseman/Edwards

Same. 

1. Okongwu

2. Ball

3. Avdija (#1 based on scheme fit)

4. Toppin

5. Wiseman

6. Edwards

7. Okoro

8. Achiuwa

9. Vassell

10. Haliburton

HM: Hayes

What would you guys think of this trade?

Knicks Get:
#2 Overall Pick (Cavs)
Dante Exum (Cavs)
Trevor Ariza (Portland)

"The Knicks trade up to get their PG of the future in Lamelo Ball. They eat two large contracts in the process."

Trail Blazers Get:
#28 Overall Pick (Knicks)
Kevin Love PF (Cavs)
Frank Ntilikina PG (Knicks)

"The Trail Blazers finally get Kevin Love, as well as a young defensive guard, something they desperately need. They also get a draft pick for taking on Love's contract."

Cavs Get:
#4 Overall Pick (Knicks)
Zach Collins C (Portland)

"The Cavs are finally able to shed Love's contract and pick up a shot blocking floor-stretcher on a cheap contract."

Knicks trade up for Lamelo Ball
Cavs trade down for Deni Avdija & sign UDFA C Osasumwen Osaghae

"Deni Avdija fits perfectly with what the Cavs need: a playmaker who can get shots for his teammates and himself. He is also a versatile defender that can defend bigs and wings. Osasumwen Osaghae is a shot blocking big with some upside as a pick & popper."

Cavs FA:

1. Harry Giles PF

"Harry Giles is a very good young pick & pop forward that offers a lot of the same things that Love did...but in a much younger and cheaper body."

2. Deanthony Melton SG

"Melton is a defensive superstar at guard that will allow us to mix & match our bad defensive guards (Sexton, Garland) on the lesser threats. Melton also allows us to put Garland on the bench."

PG: Collin Sexton/Darius Garland/Matthew Dellavedova
SG: Deanthony Melton/Kevin Porter/Matt Mooney
SF: Deni Avdija/Cedi Osman/Dylan Windler
PF: Harry Giles/Larry Nance/Dean Wade
C: Andre Drummond/Zach Collins/Osasumwen Osaghae

This Cavs lineup is nasty. It gives us a lot of versatility and a dynamite bench. The future needs would be: A big defensive point guard.

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

What would you guys think of this trade?

Knicks Get:
#2 Overall Pick (Cavs)
Dante Exum (Cavs)
Trevor Ariza (Portland)

"The Knicks trade up to get their PG of the future in Lamelo Ball. They eat two large contracts in the process."

Trail Blazers Get:
#28 Overall Pick (Knicks)
Kevin Love PF (Cavs)
Frank Ntilikina PG (Knicks)

"The Trail Blazers finally get Kevin Love, as well as a young defensive guard, something they desperately need. They also get a draft pick for taking on Love's contract."

Cavs Get:
#4 Overall Pick (Knicks)
Zach Collins C (Portland)

"The Cavs are finally able to shed Love's contract and pick up a shot blocking floor-stretcher on a cheap contract."

Knicks trade up for Lamelo Ball
Cavs trade down for Deni Avdija & sign UDFA C Osasumwen Osaghae

"Deni Avdija fits perfectly with what the Cavs need: a playmaker who can get shots for his teammates and himself. He is also a versatile defender that can defend bigs and wings. Osasumwen Osaghae is a shot blocking big with some upside as a pick & popper."

Cavs FA:

1. Harry Giles PF

"Harry Giles is a very good young pick & pop forward that offers a lot of the same things that Love did...but in a much younger and cheaper body."

2. Deanthony Melton SG

"Melton is a defensive superstar at guard that will allow us to mix & match our bad defensive guards (Sexton, Garland) on the lesser threats. Melton also allows us to put Garland on the bench."

PG: Collin Sexton/Darius Garland/Matthew Dellavedova
SG: Deanthony Melton/Kevin Porter/Matt Mooney
SF: Deni Avdija/Cedi Osman/Dylan Windler
PF: Harry Giles/Larry Nance/Dean Wade
C: Andre Drummond/Zach Collins/Osasumwen Osaghae

This Cavs lineup is nasty. It gives us a lot of versatility and a dynamite bench. The future needs would be: A big defensive point guard.

No. I don’t even care about loves deal anymore. We’re not signing a top free agent any time soon anyway so being over the cap doesn’t matter. We should not pass on ball. We already have a top center. Collins wouldn’t get much run. Deni reminds me of all the euro bigs that came after dirk in the 2000s. Dirk has success so a ton of tall shooting euros got over drafted. Now everyone is trying to find the next luka. Ball is the superior prospect. 

@sdrawkcab321 I just read the other day that other GMs are laughing at Clevelands asking price for Love. They apparently want a pick + young player for Love and no team is willing to give up draft assets. So there is that. I think it might just be better if the Cavs just come to terms with the fact that he should just play out his contract here and try to make him as happy as possible.

He is a good player to have for all of the young rookies/sophmores. I just doubt Love will sign up for the idea to finish the rest of his career as a mentor on a rebuilding team.

3 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

@sdrawkcab321 I just read the other day that other GMs are laughing at Clevelands asking price for Love. They apparently want a pick + young player for Love and no team is willing to give up draft assets. So there is that. I think it might just be better if the Cavs just come to terms with the fact that he should just play out his contract here and try to make him as happy as possible.

He is a good player to have for all of the young rookies/sophmores. I just doubt Love will sign up for the idea to finish the rest of his career as a mentor on a rebuilding team.

I get it, but maybe he should have thought about that when he resigned here.

6 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

We’ve known this for a while now. No one wants love on that contract. And no he’s not good for the young players. He’s been pouting for 2 years now. That’s not good for young players to see from a “star”

14 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

We’ve known this for a while now. No one wants love on that contract. And no he’s not good for the young players. He’s been pouting for 2 years now. That’s not good for young players to see from a “star”

So what are the options then. Just dump him for nothing? I dont see how thats advantageous for the Cavs to not get ANY sort of building asset in return

Edited by AkronsWitness

• FGK changed the title to Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck