Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck

LETSGOBROWNIES

9 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Is this about the contracts must be of comparable value thing?

That only applies if you’re over the cap. You can’t simply take on part of a players contract and trade them like you can in baseball or hockey. That’s why the NBA had trade exceptions. It’s the nbas version of that 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

That only applies if you’re over the cap. You can’t simply take on part of a players contract and trade them like you can in baseball or hockey. That’s why the NBA had trade exceptions. It’s the nbas version of that 

So I guess we should be looking to teams with stiffs on inflated contracts of shorter duration than Love's as trade partners?

6 hours ago, bruceb said:

So I guess we should be looking to teams with stiffs on inflated contracts of shorter duration than Love's as trade partners?

Sure if we can find one. Love has 2 years left so we’d have to find someone who’s willing to give us an expiring. 

My current top picks for Cavs

1. James Wiseman - His physical attributes are overwhelming and he projects to be a +rebounder, +defender, +offensive player with ++ upside in all areas. His shooting stroke from mid-range is already good although he doesnt shoot threes yet. He could be a Chris Bosh pick n pop type player with significantly more roll ability and power inside. Right now needs to work on his passing and post defense. Covers so much ground fluidly. Hes the guy who people could look back at in a few years like 'why wasnt he the no brainer first pick hes so much more talented than everyone in the class'. If anyone in this class ends up a top-10 NBA player I'd be stunned if it wasn't him or Edwards. 

2. Onyeka Okongwu - Similar upside to a Bam Adebayo pretty much across the board from play style to physical profile. Maybe the smartest/most heady of the early picks. Lower than Wiseman because his physical package is much weaker and he offers less upside as a potential scorer and rebounder. He definitely fits mold of modern NBA big with help defense, passing, rebounding and shooting upside. 

--------------------------------Not only do I view these two as the best two prospects, but they also fit nicely with Garland, Sexton, KPJ and leave the door wide open for the 2021 class which is loaded with wings. This is our best chance to get a young big to flesh out the roster.

3/4. Anthony Edwards / LaMelo Ball - Both ooze potential but have some huge flags. Neithers good at defense yet, Lamelo is terrible, Edwards is inconsistant. Both have good D upside given size and athleticism but who knows. Edwards can create his own offense and definitely has the game for stardom if he shares the rock better and improves his efficient but has bbiq issues and plays selfishly. LaMelo is an incredible passer and ball handler but sucks at shooting and has awful form. From a personality standpoint they both seem like good kids but in interviews im concerned LaMelo is as stupid as a sack of rocks. Edwards seems intelligent and coachable. Neithers a perfect fit but both have star upside worth over the safer options. 

--------------------------- Those are the risk/upside picks

5. Deni Avdija - Looks like a pass, slash, shoot threat with a super high BBIQ, strong athleticism, positional versatility, and fit for a motion/free flowing offense which is the direction the leagues going. I think hes a better prospect in that his game is adapted for both the team and the direction the leagues going rather than his actual talent, which is nice but not overwhelming. Value is as a secondary playmaker who contributes as a scorer and defender rather than a star.

6. Devin Vassal - I'm sure he'll be a good pro. Nearly a surefire +shooter, +defender. Hes smart, plays super hard. Has all NBA defense team upside with 40% shooting who plays offball and adds value. Hes terrible at slashing and barely adds any value there so star upsides not there but hes a winning player whos a nice safe pick. Will probably be able to create his own shots midrange and makes smart passes and moves well off ball. 

7. Isaac Okoro - Basically the opposite of Vassal on offense. A good slasher and passer who can get inside and attack but cant shoot at all. He's a more physical defender who will do better vs bigger players than Vassal but worse vs quicker players. Lower floor/higher ceiling because if he gets respectable at shooting 3s suddenly his value without the ball goes wayyyyy up and his value with the ball should be decent. 

----------------------- Those are the 'fit' picks

• Like 2

4 hours ago, roger murdock said:

(Okongwu) Lower than Wiseman because his physical package is much weaker and he offers less upside as a potential scorer and rebounder.

I disagree with this big time. Okongwu has a much better inside game right now. He has a baby hook, a fadeaway, and a decent outside shot. Plus he's a more explosive athlete at the rim. Okongwu is stronger and bouncier than Wiseman and at worst, runs the floor with the same amount of speed. The only thing Wiseman has more of than Okongwu is height and length. Okongwu is much more refined and is freaky athletic. Okongwu's foot speed is way ahead of Wiseman's, which offers him much more defensive versatility. He can switch and defend on just about anyone, whereas Wiseman is going to be relegated to defending bigs.

I like both, but Okongwu is further along in his development and has more defensive upside.

4 hours ago, roger murdock said:

(Okoro) He's a more physical defender who will do better vs bigger players than Vassal but worse vs quicker players.

I think Okoro is going to be the league's best wing defender in a few years. He can stay with anyone and from what I've seen, doesn't struggle to defend anyone. I think he is the most dominant player in this draft if you were to look at players based on offense/defense.

Okoro's defensive abilities trump everyone else's offensive/defensive abilities, if that make sense. I do agree that he has a lot of growing to do as a perimeter scorer, which is why I don't consider him a legitimate option for us inside of the top 4.

Also, where is Obi Toppin on your list? He should at least be in your "great upside, but not without warts" category. He will be an offensive star.

Onyeka Okongwu: Rich Man's Bam Adebayo
LaMelo Ball: Bigger Jason Kidd Offensively; Michael Carter-Williams Defensively
Deni Avdija: Lamar Odom
Obi Toppin: Kenyon Martin
Anthony Edwards: More Confident Andrew Wiggins
James Wiseman: Hassan Whiteside
Killiian Hayes: Slightly Less Explosive Baron Davis
Tyrese Haliburton: Kirk Hinrich
Devin Vassell: Poor Man's Klay Thompson
Isaac Okoro: Ron Artest
Cole Anthony: Steve Francis
Precious Achiuwa: Josh Smith

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

Ball isn’t MCW on defense. MCW is a passable defender. Ball is on kyries level of I dont care defense. 

1 hour ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Ball isn’t MCW on defense. MCW is a passable defender. Ball is on kyries level of I dont care defense. 

Ball is lackadaisical on defense, but he is a pest off the ball. He pokes a lot of balls out and has a very high potential defensively because of his length. Hopefully he buys in, because he could be the best defensive PG in the NBA if he starts to take pride in it. That's a huge if.

20 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

I think Okoro is going to be the league's best wing defender in a few years. He can stay with anyone and from what I've seen, doesn't struggle to defend anyone. I think he is the most dominant player in this draft if you were to look at players based on offense/defense.

Okoro's defensive abilities trump everyone else's offensive/defensive abilities, if that make sense. I do agree that he has a lot of growing to do as a perimeter scorer, which is why I don't consider him a legitimate option for us inside of the top 4.

Also, where is Obi Toppin on your list? He should at least be in your "great upside, but not without warts" category. He will be an offensive star.

I love Obi Toppin but not for us because our defense sucks so bad and hes the worst defender of high picks in the draft. We need to prioritize 2 way players. Unlike someone like LaMelo I dont think he has much upside to be a good defender for his position either. 

I think hes a perfect fit for the Hawks for instance because him and Tray could have a sick PnR/PnP game and carry the offense with Reddish/Hunter/Capela playing the other positions as the defenders/rebounders/shooters/lower usage guys. If I was going a board for the Hawks I'd have him top 3. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

I disagree with this big time. Okongwu has a much better inside game right now. He has a baby hook, a fadeaway, and a decent outside shot. His inside games more polished definitely but he doesn't match the raw power Wiseman does and Wiseman will create his own offense off lobs/put backs at a higher level day 1 due to his size/athleticism. I like both of their mid range games and potential to improve as shooters. 

Plus he's a more explosive athlete at the rim. Hes impressive there too, but sorry no way. Wiseman brings the house down. OO might be an 8.5 there but Wisemans a 10. 

Okongwu is stronger and bouncier than Wiseman and at worst, runs the floor with the same amount of speed. The only thing Wiseman has more of than Okongwu is height and length. Height and length make a world of difference when your wingspan and standing reach is 5''-6'' greater. OO should be a little more mobile considering its easier to move the msaller you are. Both are As for their body type. 

Okongwu is much more refined and is freaky athletic. Okongwu's foot speed is way ahead of Wiseman's, which offers him much more defensive versatility. He can switch and defend on just about anyone, whereas Wiseman is going to be relegated to defending bigs. OO is definitely more refined but he also had more time to show off his refinement. The little we saw from Wiseman extrapolated over a season is a clear NCAA PotY winner and one of the most dominant big seasons in recent memory, and he did it off physically overpowering people. OO has a very smooth and smart game. OO's lateral agility is better than Wisemans but it needs to be because Wiseman is more explosive and longer. I think both will be beasts rotating on defense and blocking shots. 

I like both, but Okongwu is further along in his development and has more defensive upside. OO will be better at switching at least early on. I think the biggest gap is rebounding which is a clear edge for Wiseman. Both are freaks though and should be +players on O and D. Overall I'd say OO has more feel for the game, polish and lateral agility. Wiseman has more explosiveness, rebounding potential, and ability to physically dominate. 

I really truly believe if Wiseman played all year he'd be the no brainer #1. He played 3 games and dominated in all of them. It reminded me of Oden. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Want to tease you for being super high on this poopy draft but I know your just comparing play styles rather than career trajectory. 

My go: 

• Onyeka Okongwu - Bam Adebayo if he can learn to pass better
  • LaMelo Ball - Jason Williams
  • Deni Avdija - Hedo Turkalu
  • Obi Toppin - Poor mans Amare
  • Anthony Edwards - Cory Maggette? 
  • James Wiseman - Greg Oden
  • Tyrese Haliburton - You nailed it with Kirk Heinrich
  • Devin Vassell - Better shooting Trevor Ariza
  • Isaac Okoro - You nailed it with Ron Artest
  • Cole Anthony - Jamaal Murray? 
  • Precious Achiuwa - Gerald Wallace

I dont know enough about Hayes except when I started watching and saw he only plays with one hand and isnt a fit for the roster I stopped caring about him. 

• FGK changed the title to Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck