Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck

LETSGOBROWNIES

I mean yeah I totally agree it’s a nightmare contract situation. But Horford can at least play the 5 and Harris can play the 4 and maybe 5 at times. 

maybe running it backs smarter. Westbrook was incredible once he got in a groove during the season. Maybe without injury he’s a good fit. I doubt it but maybe. 

3 hours ago, roger murdock said:

Rockets are in a very tough spot. A year ago they had Paul, Capela, and draft picks. Unfortunately Paul was a bad fit in an ISO dominated offense and butted heads with Harden. Rather than working through issues they showed their leader the door and added picks for Harden which was crazy at the time and still is crazy. But Westbrook is a better ISO player than Paul so I guess it fits from a scheme standpoint. Then they went even more all in on small ball getting rid of Capela for Covington and trading more picks. 

So they are all in and need a way to make it work with what they’ve got. It’s tough as hell cause I think having Tucker at center is unsustainable for a year. Really I think this play style will really wear on them physically on a defensive end and they have little depth. 

I wonder if Philly would swap Gordon/Westbrook for Horford/Harris. I think that makes sense for both teams. If not I think they are in trouble. They need a big, they need more shooters.

They have no depth so their offensive system actually makes sense cause it uses the least amount of energy possible and gets results in regular season but they need to find a way to learn how to play with motion as well or they can’t win in the playoffs when Hardens burnt out and others need to step up 

Yeah the Harris contract is god awful and hes probably worse than Westbrook because he cant create and struggles to finish when going to the rim. 

The biggest issue IMO was that Westbrook was coming off an injury. He did not look good at all compared to pre injury when Harden was playing like crap and Westbrook was balling out. 

A healthy Westbrook honestly would've made the series closer. Russel normal makes those extra plays to get rebounds that did not happen this round. 

In the end they still lose the the Lakers but honestly it wouldve been in 6 or 7

In addition, Eric Gordon was having an uncharacteristically bad 3 point shooting this year. (Career 37%, this year 31%). You could see this series he was just running off the 3 point line and not taking any midrangers. I dont know if it was the lakers defense or what but he was really struggling to create for himself. 

Houston needs to trade Gordon for a modern C. I think the series turns out different if they were able to make that trade for Tristan Thompson (as was rumored around the trade deadline). 

Its a risky move but a sign and trade for someone like Christian Wood (6'10 but can space) and Luke Kennard (who is an injury risk but great 3 point shooter) while moving Gordon would be the type of deal they would need to make. Not saying thats the exact trade but the rough make up.

Example 3 team trade

Detroit Gets: Al Horford, 2020 Phil 1st, 2021 Houston 1st

Philadelphia Gets: Eric Gordon & Derrick Rose

Houston Gets: Christian Wood (S&T) and Luke Kennard

The Heat, Raptors, Nuggets, Bucks, Pacers, Blazers, Thunder, and Celtics are the teams we need to copy when it comes to org structure and building a team. They don't whore out for FA's, tank, etc.

They are calm, pragmatic, keep a 5+ year approach to everything they do. They have stability in the FO and coaching staff. They prioritize development of players. They have strong culture and hard workers. They avoid egos. They dont make desperate win now moves. 

These are all things we need to be doing and focusing on.

Edited by roger murdock
Added OKC

26 minutes ago, roger murdock said:

They are calm, pragmatic, keep a 5+ year approach to everything they do. They have stability in the FO and coaching staff. They prioritize development of players. They have strong culture and hard workers. They avoid egos. They dont make desperate win now moves. 

This sums up what pretty much every pro sports team should be doing, but yeah.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, roger murdock said:

Debatable he’s the best player on those 2 teams. Was definitely not over the course of the  series. Comfortably outplayed by Jokic and maybe Murray. 

Jokic is criminally underrated.

However, Kawhi needs to get blasted for “load management.” He gets to take multiple games off and for what? So he can get outplayed by a pudgy center?

• FGK changed the title to Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck