Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck

LETSGOBROWNIES

20 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Avaidja or toppin. You don’t draft a non shooting defender at 5. We’re not the Spurs we’re not turning him into kawhi. 

...so we should have no guys in our roster than can defend?

We literally have the worst defensive roster I’ve ever seen an NBA team produce. How would drafting the draft’s best defensive player be a bad thing?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, big poppa pump said:

Avidja, Okoro, or Toppin?

Who should be the pick, assuming Ball, Edwards, and Wiseman are all gone?

I admittedly did not watch a ton of college hoops last year, and don't know much about any of them.

Not Toppin.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, QBIso said:

...so we should have no guys in our roster than can defend?

We literally have the worst defensive roster I’ve ever seen an NBA team produce. How would drafting the draft’s best defensive player be a bad thing?

Because we’re not building around the current roster. We’re assembling the best players we can get. This entire team could be flipped by next year. 

6 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Because we’re not building around the current roster. We’re assembling the best players we can get. This entire team could be flipped by next year. 

I agree with you. But at some point, we need an athlete who can defend SG’s/SF’s. We have nobody that can even imagine of doing that right now. The way the league is trending, I would say that should be a top priority. Okoro is young and has offensive upside. He just isn’t a good shooter right now. But he’s a great driver/finisher, good passer, and handles the ball very well for a SF prospect. He just struggles with the outside shot.

If Avdija is gone and Okongwu is not an option (aka we keep our bigs), Okoro makes all the sense in the world.

8 minutes ago, QBIso said:

I agree with you. But at some point, we need an athlete who can defend SG’s/SF’s. We have nobody that can even imagine of doing that right now. The way the league is trending, I would say that should be a top priority. Okoro is young and has offensive upside. He just isn’t a good shooter right now. But he’s a great driver/finisher, good passer, and handles the ball very well for a SF prospect. He just struggles with the outside shot.

If Avdija is gone and Okongwu is not an option (aka we keep our bigs), Okoro makes all the sense in the world.

Kevin porter can do that. I think in a year from now we’re going to be building around him and maybe Sexton. Outside of that it’s all up in the air. Okoro is basically Caron butler. I’m not using a high pick on that. Toppin might be amare. Deni is like hedo/Danny granger. You don’t building around role players like okoro and we don’t have the infrastructure on this team to develop anyone to the extent okoro will need to be on offense. 

Would you guys be interested in trying to contend sooner rather than later and trading for Westbrook? I’d definitely consider it. 

*Trade a pair of 2nd’s, Garland, Nance, & Osman to Houston for Russell Westbrook & 

*Trade Sexton to Orlando for Aaron Gordon

*Trade Love to Portland for Nassir Little & Zach Collins

*Sign SG Malik Beasley & PG Deanthony Melton

*Draft Avdija or Okoro at #5. 

PG: Westbrook/Melton/Dellavedova
SG: Beasley/Porter/Mooney
SF: Avdija-or-Okoro/Little/Windler
PF: Gordon/Nance/Wade
😄 Drummond/Collins/Zizic

9 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Kevin porter can do that. I think in a year from now we’re going to be building around him and maybe Sexton. Outside of that it’s all up in the air. Okoro is basically Caron butler. I’m not using a high pick on that. Toppin might be amare. Deni is like hedo/Danny granger. You don’t building around role players like okoro and we don’t have the infrastructure on this team to develop anyone to the extent okoro will need to be on offense. 

Nobody thought Kawhi was gonna be more than a defensive stopper. I think you’re underplaying Okoro’s upside. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Kawhi went to the great developmental coach of all time. Okoro would be going to a journeymen interim coach. 

Fair, but I also don’t think Kawhi would be a friggin’ role player if a different organization drafted him.

I just hate not having any defensive-minded players. It’s infuriating to watch us play so lax against guards, wings, and bigs. I wanna see this Cavs team operate with grit—something that reflects this city. I’d rather lose 78-84 than 110-125. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, QBIso said:

Fair, but I also don’t think Kawhi would be a friggin’ role player if a different organization drafted him.

I just hate not having any defensive-minded players. It’s infuriating to watch us play so lax against guards, wings, and bigs. I wanna see this Cavs team operate with grit—something that reflects this city. I’d rather lose 78-84 than 110-125. 

No team is winning that way anymore. This isn’t the 80s. Find great offensive players and fill the rest in with defenders. The elite teams find guys who can do both at a high level but we don’t have any elite 2 way talent in this draft. 

3 hours ago, QBIso said:

Nobody thought Kawhi was gonna be more than a defensive stopper. I think you’re underplaying Okoro’s upside. 

Isaac Okoro is a spitting image of Andre Iguodala. The fact that the Cavs dont have a single soul on the team that can play defense on the perimeter they have almost pigeon holed themselves into taking defense. Which is why I would take either Okoro or Okongwu. 

Deni scares the hell out me because his game is alll about potential and not what hes currently dominant at and Toppin is such a defensive liability he is almost undraftable for the Cavs to me. Putting Sexton, Garland, Toppin and Love on the floor is asking for the other team to score 135.

Okoro= Andre Iguodala, Jimmy Butler, Gerald Wallace

Okongwu= Serge Ibaka, Bam Adebayo 

Take either one, be happy, walk away. Let 2 other teams gamble on Deni's upside and Toppins defensive liabilities.

Edited by AkronsWitness

3 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Kawhi went to the great developmental coach of all time. Okoro would be going to a journeymen interim coach. 

Its not about head coach, its about the assistants and development staff. Pop wasnt out there working with Kawhi to find a jumpshot. The Cavs development staff, shooting coaches have proven they can take a bad 3pt shooter and make them a lot better.

Sextons biggest knock was that he couldnt shoot, hes now shooting 40% from three. Larry Nance has developed into a 3pt shooter on the Cavs as well.

I have all of the faith in the world that the Cavs coaching staff can help Okoro, like Sexton, become a respectable 3pt shooter. We also dont need Okoro to be a 20+PPG scorer, they have Love, Sexton, Garland and Porter to be the scorers. They need somebody in the middle of those guys on the perimeter who can do all of the things those others cant--and thats Okoro. His skillset is a bridge/glue for all of those other young guys.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Its not about head coach, its about the assistants and development staff. Pop wasnt out there working with Kawhi to find a jumpshot. The Cavs development staff, shooting coaches have proven they can take a bad 3pt shooter and make them a lot better.

Sextons biggest knock was that he couldnt shoot, hes now shooting 40% from three. Larry Nance has developed into a 3pt shooter on the Cavs as well.

I have all of the faith in the world that the Cavs coaching staff can help Okoro, like Sexton, become a respectable 3pt shooter. We also dont need Okoro to be a 20+PPG scorer, they have Love, Sexton, Garland and Porter to be the scorers. They need somebody in the middle of those guys on the perimeter who can do all of the things those others cant--and thats Okoro. His skillset is a bridge/glue for all of those other young guys.

This current coaching staff hasn’t proven anything. They’ve been with the team for one year and the HC can only been in charge for a season. They didn’t develop Sexton into a shooter he was a good shooter his rookie year. 

Again...i did not watch a ton of college hoops last year.  If my memory is correct, wasn't Sexton supposed to be that 'dog' of a defender, coming out of college?  It has not quite translated that way in the NBA.

Are we sure that Okoro will be a great defensive player at the next level?  If not, and his outside shot doesn't improve????  Yikes

13 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

Are we sure that Okoro will be a great defensive player at the next level?  If not, and his outside shot doesn't improve????  Yikes

Sexton was a bullish defender, but he has severe limitations based on length and size. He was never going to be a lockdown defender. And he was not even a great collegiate defender. He was just a ball of energy.

Okoro has literally every physical tool to be an elite defender. Plus, he's got the mentality and alleged work ethic to keep that up moving forward. Sexton was about 1/4 of the defender that Okoro is when he was in college.

• FGK changed the title to Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck