Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck

LETSGOBROWNIES

1 hour ago, big poppa pump said:

Again...i did not watch a ton of college hoops last year.  If my memory is correct, wasn't Sexton supposed to be that 'dog' of a defender, coming out of college?  It has not quite translated that way in the NBA.

Are we sure that Okoro will be a great defensive player at the next level?  If not, and his outside shot doesn't improve????  Yikes

He shows interest but like most PGs he doesn’t have the size to guard 2s. Which is what he ends up having to guard a lot because the team has to pair him with a real facilitating PG. 

2 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

This current coaching staff hasn’t proven anything. They’ve been with the team for one year and the HC can only been in charge for a season. They didn’t develop Sexton into a shooter he was a good shooter his rookie year. 

Andrew Olson is the shooting coach and he came to the Cavs at the end of the 2017 season he has been here since Collin Sexton arrived and since Nance Jr started becoming a 3pt threat. Either way, I have read multiple things on the Athletic and from Fedor on Cleveland.com that said going into this draft the Cavs are not worried about a players shooting ability because they believe they have a really good staff that can 'fix' their shots.

At the same time in this new age NBA you can teach a player to become a competent shooter, its MUCH harder to teach them to become a competent defender. I would rather take a defenseive stud and then work him into the offense than the other way around. The Cavs have nothing but offensive minded players on the roster, Im not worried about whoever they draft being able to score because we dont need them to score. We need a good defensive player who is smart and can move the ball on offense.

I just dont see any scenerio where Deni/Okoro/Okongwu isnt a member of the Cavs next week. You can sell me on Deni's upside despite being a complete unknown and projection but I would still prefer either one of the O's

Edited by AkronsWitness

5 hours ago, QBIso said:

Sexton was a bullish defender, but he has severe limitations based on length and size. He was never going to be a lockdown defender. And he was not even a great collegiate defender. He was just a ball of energy.

Okoro has literally every physical tool to be an elite defender. Plus, he's got the mentality and alleged work ethic to keep that up moving forward. Sexton was about 1/4 of the defender that Okoro is when he was in college.

I also like the idea of having Sexton and Okoro on the same roster with their work ethics and always giving 100%.  Those two could really set an example and try to change the culture of the org and push others to play harder as well.

• Like 1

Just now, MWil23 said:

So like I said not a good distributor 

Point is his career stats at his age hover right around and are almost identical to current All Stars Donovan Mitchell/Jamaal Murray and even CJ McCollum who averages 3 asts per game.

Sexton is not a PG, similar to Kyrie. Hes a undersized SG 

27 minutes ago, Raves said:

So you wouldn't want Donovan Mitchell or Jamal Murray on the team then?

I dont know why but some people are SO invested in his assist totals and not the fact that hes a pure scorer. Ive been critical in the past of him, but IF the Cavs actually get his role on the team correct and play him as a off ball scoring SG he will do great. I guess that all depends on if Garland can handle being the primary facilitator this year

19 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I dont know why but some people are SO invested in his assist totals and not the fact that hes a pure scorer. Ive been critical in the past of him, but IF the Cavs actually get his role on the team correct and play him as a off ball scoring SG he will do great. I guess that all depends on if Garland can handle being the primary facilitator this year

That's part of why I prefer Deni over Okoro is because even if Garland doesn't become a primary facilitator I think Deni could be it for the team and at worst having 2 facilitators on an offense is a good thing.

15 minutes ago, Raves said:

That's part of why I prefer Deni over Okoro is because even if Garland doesn't become a primary facilitator I think Deni could be it for the team and at worst having 2 facilitators on an offense is a good thing.

Heres what I got back from a guy who watches the Euro league when I asked to rank him with other Euro prospects like Gallonari, Hedo, Luka, Jokic, Bogdonovic, ect

He barely played for Maccabi in Euroleague even when team was raved with injuries, so its hard for me to hype him. I think Hezonja was better Euroleague player at a time, tho they both were 2 big nothings. Afdija is very good in his age competition, winning gold as primary ball handler, he is 6'9 with strong body who can guard multiple positions, very few times he got burn in the Euroleague, he played very good defense covering players from SG to PF position. He also has playmaking potential, but he cant dribble with his left hand, so again hard to hype him as a sure thing, tho he has vision and feel for the game.

He is kinda like Dario Saric but more athletic, tho Saric was more dominant junior player and far more proven in Euroleague at a time he signed with NBA team. So picture Saric with better athleticism, but worse everything else.

To me its a bit crazy he is listed so high in the draft, college class must be absolutely brutal, otherwise I wouldnt justify him being ranked so high.

Out of the players you mentioned, I would say Deni is the worst prospect out of them all for sure.

21 hours ago, QBIso said:

Would you guys be interested in trying to contend sooner rather than later and trading for Westbrook? I’d definitely consider it. 

*Trade a pair of 2nd’s, Garland, Nance, & Osman to Houston for Russell Westbrook & 

*Trade Sexton to Orlando for Aaron Gordon

*Trade Love to Portland for Nassir Little & Zach Collins

*Sign SG Malik Beasley & PG Deanthony Melton

*Draft Avdija or Okoro at #5. 

PG: Westbrook/Melton/Dellavedova
SG: Beasley/Porter/Mooney
SF: Avdija-or-Okoro/Little/Windler
PF: Gordon/Nance/Wade
😄 Drummond/Collins/Zizic

Do you hate shooting. Because thats a whole lot of players who cannot shoot.

Gordon is a downgrade from Nance. AG is overconfident in his ability and hurts the team with his play.

I like Westbrook but I don't like that trade. I think its too much compensation. Plus you get westbrook but gut the team of all remaining talent.

The Love trade is great for us but again why get russ and get rid of our best scorer. 

I also dont see Portland getting rid of 2 young talents, maybe one and salary at best.

Beasley is an RFA and clearly a bonehead. We trade 2 top 10 picks at point guard for an aging russ and a guy who pointed a gun at a child. Add to that we get rid of our key culture guy in nance and our best scorer in love for someone who cant take that next step in Aaron Gordon

• FGK changed the title to Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck