Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck

LETSGOBROWNIES

13 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Love is what he is. He’s proven he hasn’t been able to carry a team. Toppin might not be better right away but I’d rather take a shot at the future and unknown than an injury prone expense soft big in their 30s. I think toppin has amare potential. 

I agree with you, but I think trading Love is gonna be really difficult. 

Also, it’s not Love’s fault. He is playing with bums...and he’s not that kind of player anyways. He’s a great #2 option, but only if you have an ELITE #1. Love is still a good player, but yeah...eyes to the future.

15 hours ago, QBIso said:

Exactly. Toppin is a more explosive and somehow less gritty defensively version of Kevin Love. Their offensive games are very similar minus the big boost in explosion from Toppin. Their defense is equally bad, but Love’s seems to stem from foot speed and athletic limitations. Toppin’s seems to stem from a lack of caring. Not sure what’s worse. 

I dont mean to keep picking on you but this is super inaccurate

Toppin has stiff hips and plays really high. A part of playing high is his build and part technique. He really struggles to flip his hips allowing defenders to blow past him as well as bad lateral movement. 

Its not to say he cant defend but he needs to develop his defensive iq to compensate for his athletic limitations 

The rumor mill has projected the trade of Love which would allow Nance to flourish if he can as well as Toppin or equivalent in draft.  Then there is Drummond issue of whether he stays or goes.  From a defensive standpoint there is Drummond, Nance, Osman , Porter and Sexton/Garland as a solid unit with last years starting unit lowest in league. Also, decision needs to be made at point guard and shooting guard.  Altman is at a crucial stage in his tenure and this year will be defining moment as the Beurlein hire and last two drafts have been poor decisions at best.  The current roster is just below NBA average with no all stars and few potential players with a high ceiling.  My guess is Obi, Okoro, or O from USC who are projected possible all stars down the road.  

5 hours ago, OhioG said:

I dont mean to keep picking on you but this is super inaccurate

I don’t feel that way. But I disagree. 

5 hours ago, OhioG said:

Toppin has stiff hips and plays really high. A part of playing high is his build and part technique. He really struggles to flip his hips allowing defenders to blow past him as well as bad lateral movement.

He definitely has bad technique. I think some of it stems from him being slightly out of shape. He gets really high late in games. Also, he doesn’t seem interested in locking down the post. Dudes abuse him down there because he doesn’t bump and push them off spots. It seems unlikely that he doesn’t know how to do that...it seems more likely that he simply doesn’t want to exert himself on that side of the ball. 

5 hours ago, OhioG said:

Its not to say he cant defend but he needs to develop his defensive iq to compensate for his athletic limitations 

I don’t see athletic limitations. On the perimeter, maybe. But there’s no reason he should be this bad in the post. He doesn’t chuck dudes off their spots, nor have I ever seen him so much as foul someone to prevent an easy basket. 

22 hours ago, buno67 said:

Its not about DBPM, im talking about DWS. Compared to Mitchell and Murray he is trash. You go to the per100 and look at the DRtg, the estimated points the player gives up per100 possessions, Sexton over his 2 years has given up an avg of 120. Murry is a 113 and Mitchell is at 108. Yes, not great numbers but not as bad as Sexton. Now you compared the ORtg, ppts they produced, Sexton is at 105, where Murray is at 110 and Mitchell is at 106. Sexton is at a difference of -15, where Murray is -3 and Mitchell is -2.

At 21, Mitchell and Murray werent complete garbage at defense. When comparing them at 21, Murray and Mitchell could score just as well as Sexton but they were by far better facilitator and a lot better defenders. Those two are worthy of being starters. Sexton's best option is as a 6th man. Ill glady eat crow a few years down the road but I dont see Sexton being this stud.

You could also say Murray and Mitchell have put up similar stats at similar stage but they were also going up against better defenses and schemes. Those guys were actually on teams competing for playoffs. So when they are getting late into the season, teams were still trying cause they are fighting them for playoff spots. Sexton and the Cavs were not getting the best out of opposing defenses. Opposing teams wanted to just get out of the Cleveland game healthy. No one was scheme defensively to get the ball out of Sexton's hands like they would vs other top pgs. Also with how bad Sexton and the Cavs were on defense, they had no problems having a shoot out cause they knew they were going to put up points.

the only Cavs player thst is truly worth building around is KPJ. Everyone else should be moved if a good deal comes around

I don't disagree at all with the defense, especially when it comes to Mitchell--he is a good defender. Murray on the other hand is not even to this point in his career. He's just going to outscore you like we saw I'm these part playoffs

I don't however feel like Sextons defense is unfixable. He gives the effort, he just needs to do the little things better like fighting through screens and knowing when to go high and low. More of the mental side than the physical tools side.

Either way, while Sexton might now have the abilities defensively as those other two guys at the same age he is right there on the offensive end. Like you said, if his defense doesn't at least get to average---he is destined for 6th man and maybe can have a Jamaal Crawford type of career

1 hour ago, zelbell said:

Toppin, Avdija, or Okongwu?

feels like we are between those three

Okongwu but all the smoke is around Toppin/Deni. Unless that smoke is a *clears throat*....a smokescreen.

I just dont understand how Altman/Bickerstaff can come out this offseason multiple times acknowledging the need to address the defense and get better but then go and draft Toppin/Avdija who are both bad defenders. It just doesnt line up unless they just get hooked by the flashyness of offense every season

Edited by AkronsWitness

• FGK changed the title to Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck